Mac Pro Spotted in Studio of DJ Calvin Harris Ahead of Launch

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's new Mac Pro, still listed on Apple's website as "coming this fall," has been spotted in the wild this weekend at the studio of DJ and producer Calvin Harris.

New Mac Pro spotted in Calvin Harris Instagram video

On Saturday, Harris posted an Instagram story featuring some of his music and offering his followers a peek into his production studio, in which a Mac Pro with signature cheese grater case and carry handles can be seen sat on the floor next to a desk.

The sighting suggests Apple has shared the new high-throughput machine with creative professionals to give them a feel for its power and potential ahead of its public release, which could be any day now.

The all-new ?Mac Pro? boasts up to 28-core Intel Xeon processors, up to 1.5TB of ECC RAM, up to 4TB of SSD storage, and up to AMD Radeon Pro Vega II Duo graphics with 64GB of HBM2 memory. The computer also has eight PCIe expansion slots for maximum performance, expansion, and configurability.

A new design includes a stainless steel frame with smooth handles and an aluminum housing that lifts off for 360-degree access to the entire system. The housing also has a unique lattice pattern to maximize airflow and quiet operation.

Apple announced the Mac Pro on June 3, and the company has been teasing a fall release on its website ever since, without specifying a launch date. The machine received FCC approval on October 30, suggesting pre-order availability is not far away.

The Mac Pro starts at $5,999, so this machine is only for the most serious professional users. They could also twin it with the $6,000 Pro Display XDR, which is expected to be released at the same time.

Article Link: Mac Pro Spotted in Studio of DJ Calvin Harris Ahead of Launch

Reactions: wilhoitm

JPSaltzman

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2011
Well, one thing is certain -- it's running Mojave and not Catalina, since almost every music and audio and video software company has told all their users NOT to upgrade to Catalina; most applications still require 32-bit plug-ins, etc., even if the software itself was 64-bit.

And now that I see it in real-life use, to me it looks rather clunky, not sleek at all like the Mac Pros before the trash can. (Just my own personal tastes.)

Unregistered 4U

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
it's running Mojave and not Catalina,
Not necessarily. Some one “in the know” enough to get a prerelease Mac Pro, likely also has prerelease software for evaluation.

not sleek at all like the Mac Pros before the trash can.
Sleek? It’s a box with handles. All Mac Pro’s except for the Trash Can have been boxes with handles. The only Mac Pro that rises at least a little to the ”elegant and streamlined” level is the Trash Can.
- - Post merged: - -

So do we resume the hype train? Many of the passengers are exhausted from all the rumors. Fuel sources are low too. I am not sure they will be able to survive another trip
HALF LIFE 3 CONFIRMED!

patent10021

macrumors 68030
Apr 23, 2004
Well, one thing is certain -- it's running Mojave and not Catalina, since almost every music and audio and video software company has told all their users NOT to upgrade to Catalina; most applications still require 32-bit plug-ins, etc., even if the software itself was 64-bit.

And now that I see it in real-life use, to me it looks rather clunky, not sleek at all like the Mac Pros before the trash can. (Just my own personal tastes.)
He has no reason to be using 32bit plugs. He can use the latest Logic with latest plugs and still use his sessions in any older versions of PT so I'm sure he's not worried about 10.15.

dougc84

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2018
He has no reason to be using 32bit plugs.
Waves, Toontrack, Arturia, Universal Audio, and Native Instruments plug-ins, virtual instruments, and hardware doesn't work, and that's only a small sampling of companies off the top of my head. There are dozens of others. Press releases have gone out saying their products are not compatible or only partially compatible with Catalina, and updates are forthcoming. While Logic offers quality, built-in plug-ins, no professional is going to limit themselves to the options Logic provides. Heck, I'm only a bedroom musician, but pretty much every plug-in I own doesn't work under Catalina, nor does my interface.

For those with questions on compatibility, Sweetwater has an excellent listing: https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/macos-10-15-catalina-compatibility-list/#a

laz232

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2016
At a café near you
I wouldn’t be surprised if this is a ‘leak’ in collaboration with Apple.
Agree. Wake up people this is how media works (ref politics)
Monday's article at the Wall Street Journal, which provided confirmation of an Apple tablet device, had all the earmarks of a controlled leak. Here's how Apple does it.

Often Apple has a need to let information out, unofficially. The company has been doing that for years, and it helps preserve Apple's consistent, official reputation for never talking about unreleased products. I know, because when I was a Senior Marketing Manager at Apple, I was instructed to do some controlled leaks.

https://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/how_apple_does_controlled_leaks