Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
i.e. people with money that want to resell something later for more money, just like any investor (or collector). That doesn’t say ANYTHING about the quality and/or value of the artwork. If one canvas work sells for 1 million and another sells for 2 million, is the two million one 1 million dollars more artistic? Nope, it’s just seen as a stronger investment. And, come next year, if that particular artist is no longer trendy, the buyer may NEVER make that 2 million dollars back... especially if no one in that insular group of folks that are invited to auctions of that caliber want to pay that much for it. Again, nothing in that speaks to the artistic value of the piece, OR how long it took to reproduce just to the investment (or collector) potential.

Which again, is just about people with money wanting to buy things just to say they own it (collector) OR to hopefully resell it for more (back to the same group of folks) in the future (investor).

I suspect even applying the criteria set as you describe digital art has a long long way to reach that status. Big problem of digital art is that it requires to be powered unless it’s ON state can me permanently display similar to an OLED without degradation. I am aware oil on canvass also degrades over time without proper preservation containment.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
I suspect even applying the criteria set as you describe digital art has a long long way to reach that status.
Digital Art will NEVER reach that “status”, because physical art has a “status” applied to it ONLY by the tiny groups of folks that shuffle the pieces back and forth between their palatial estates.

Back to the point, I’m assuming your response to “There is a reason why high valued paintings at auction are on canvas“ is that art on canvas is inherently better than anything not on canvas. We just disagree on that point.

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
Digital Art will NEVER reach that “status”, because physical art has a “status” applied to it ONLY by the tiny groups of folks that shuffle the pieces back and forth between their palatial estates.

Back to the point, I’m assuming your response to “There is a reason why high valued paintings at auction are on canvas“ is that art on canvas is inherently better than anything not on canvas. We just disagree on that point.

My point is that digital art is disposable and an infinite replications can be created with a click of a button in seconds for the added cost of nothing with the exception that storage space is available. Compare that to even a commissioned replication or a fake, it is time consuming, takes physical space and the talent to reproduce a fake with a higher cost.

Value just as beauty is in the eye of the beholder, however one has to factor in other requirements.

I am still waiting on a digital comparable piece to the Mona Lisa, The Last Supper, The Scream, etc.

Oh btw the small percentage that love art also hold majority of the worlds wealth, the is a taxation reason for that though that digital cannot match.

DinkThifferent

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2018
The Netherlands
You will understand what I mean ... or not. Depending on the tint of your glasses.
My glasses are transparent. I have never bought a product because a YouTuber recommended it. I am pretty good at making my own mind up and I always ask myself “do I need it and if so, is the pricetag worth the upgrade”.

thats why I am still content with my 8Plus and Series 3 and 2018 iPad. I like the 11 Pro Max, Series 5 and iPad Pro, but do I need them? No. Even though they are great.

Reactions: Stephen.R

DinkThifferent

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2018
The Netherlands
It's a little depressing to think that can't just be assumed for people.

i like to think for myself. That’s why I bought the 8Plus instead of the iPhone X, even though everybody was drooling over the X and like “OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG THIS IS SOOOOOOOOAWESOME”. I prefered TouchID over FaceID, the camera system was the same in the 8 Plus as in the X and the 8 plus was cheaper. So that‘s why I bought it because it suited my needs best. Not that I hate the X, but I just did not need it.

and yeah I agree, it is kinda sad that nowadays people cannot think for themselves anymore and that we have people who call themselves “influencers”. When I hear that term I am always like “eh, you’re nothing but an informercial on Instagram”

Reactions: Stephen.R

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
Look up his old YT video where he reveals his iMac Pro he got from Apple.
You will understand what I mean ... or not. Depending on the tint of your glasses.

If you're implying that Marques is an Apple shill, I don't see it. He seems quite Android-friendly as far as phones go.

But yeah, he apparently does most or all of his video production on a Mac. What's wrong with that? And what's wrong with Apple capitalizing on it both in terms of getting feedback, and in terms of getting some hype?

It's not like the iMac Pro is a terrible machine. About its most questionable design choice is it being an all-in-one. Other than that…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.