Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dannyboi83

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2008
Wales
OS X is an excellent platform for scientific computing - e.g., MATLAB, Mathematica, Stata, and R. These programs benefit from the extra cores and memory of the Pro.

Matlab is actually rubbish on the mac and really slow, plus the mathworks have not optimised matlab for multi-core processing which really sucks.... If you want matlab stick with linux

skud

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2009
Hackintosh is tempting but the questionable future is off putting. I don't want to have to worry that if download a software update my machine is no longer going to be stable. Yes, 10.6 works, but what about 10.7? I can be sure that will run on a Mac I buy today.

I did the whole 'build my PC' thing. I got over it...it was one of the reasons I went Apple in the first place.

These days it's more questionable to get support from your apple product in future versions than from the homebrew community

Mistrblank

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
no its not a xeon. but really is it any different.? that anyone would notice.
i use Mac Pros with Xeons at work and my i7 machine at home.. my home machine is faster.. having a Xeon doesnt mean anything. they both compute the same data.. at the same speed.

why do you hate the idea of people building a comparable machine for less?
whats wrong with having options

There is a difference, it's the difference between a desktop and workstation class machine. Because the types of components selected for workstations have typically higher service expectations, the price tends to be much higher. I recently tried to price out an IBM Power 6 or 7 based workstation for work so I could have a Unix workstation at my desk, I'm now leaning toward a Mac Pro because it's actually priced substantially cheaper.

If you want an analogy, it's the difference between buying a Kohler toilet direct and a Kohler from Home Depot. Believe me, I know the difference and the plunger sits next to the Home Depot toilet almost permanently for a reason.

reel2reel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
Fantastic design, but doesn't really match up with the price tag. It's a niche product, for rich people.

Correction: for working people

Rich = laying around, drinking, partying, travelling. Kind of like students.

reel2reel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
But at least you can say that you have a noisy workstation that did cost a lot. Guess why at the end of the day I decided to sell my Mac Pro and went with a 27" iMac instead - it's a MUCH better deal.

And how exactly do I lay off uncompressed HD video to an HDCAM SR deck? Via USB???

You guys are so jealous. :p:p

The assumption is that the Mac Pro is being purchased as a toy. Uh, we buy them for work.

reel2reel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
Where does the SSD get installed, just one of the drive bays? If so it seems a bit of a waste, you'd think something so neat could fit somewhere else!

Lower optical bay is where I'm putting mine. Cables are already there, just need the drive and adapter from OWC.

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2007
And how exactly do I lay off uncompressed HD video to an HDCAM SR deck? Via USB???

You guys are so jealous. :p:p

The assumption is that the Mac Pro is being purchased as a toy. Uh, we buy them for work.

^ This man speaks the truth.

iMac is great for the average jo and casual professional however it is NOT in any shape or form better than a Mac Pro for heavier users.

Go and fit 5 HDs in your iMac, or a decent GPU, or a PCI-E SATA card for more internal HDs...

Setter Guy

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2010
Matlab is actually rubbish on the mac and really slow, plus the mathworks have not optimised matlab for multi-core processing which really sucks.... If you want matlab stick with linux

Agreed, if all you need is MATLAB. This is not the scenario I'm discussing. OS X is excellent across a spectrum of programs - those mentioned above as well as software development and LaTeX authoring tools.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
There is a difference, it's the difference between a desktop and workstation class machine. Because the types of components selected for workstations have typically higher service expectations, the price tends to be much higher. I recently tried to price out an IBM Power 6 or 7 based workstation for work so I could have a Unix workstation at my desk, I'm now leaning toward a Mac Pro because it's actually priced substantially cheaper.

If you want an analogy, it's the difference between buying a Kohler toilet direct and a Kohler from Home Depot. Believe me, I know the difference and the plunger sits next to the Home Depot toilet almost permanently for a reason.

The real issue is people comparing the Mac Pro to a Core i7 system when they don't need to. A "UP Workstation" branded board costs the same as a consumer board, Xeon processors cost the same as Core i7 and ECC memory is not even $10 more per GB. You can get a better power supply than Apple offer, great case and still be at half the price of a Mac Pro. You can go through Dell and buy a UP Precision specified similar for $1,000 less too.

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2007
The real issue is people comparing the Mac Pro to a Core i7 system when they don't need to. A "UP Workstation" branded board costs the same as a consumer board, Xeon processors cost the same as Core i7 and ECC memory is not even $10 more per GB. You can get a better power supply than Apple offer, great case and still be at half the price of a Mac Pro. You can go through Dell and buy a UP Precision specified similar for $1,000 less too.

Don't know where your getting your figures from but a few weeks ago when I compared the 2009 Mac Pro with the equivalent dell the difference was only £200 odd...

DesmoPilot

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
An i7 is not a XEON.

Look, I'm glad you're happy with your computer. That's great. But I hate these "I can build something different for a different price" posts.

Yes, that is the way things work, but it doesn't really mean anything.

Only differences between a Xeon and an i7 is ECC RAM and Dual QPI, AKA, not a whole lot.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Beautiful

I really hope the mini-tower is a reality one day. Even though I'm an iMac user I love the expandability of the MP and would hope to see a consumer model along with the existing work station for the pros. I think Jobs is really missing a key market here and really wish he'd make that xMac while keeping the existing tower of power.

And when I hit the lottery my above comment is moot. :D I'd give my new iMac to my sister and buy two MPs. :apple::apple: One for me and one for a friend who really uses the MP (he's got an Apple G4 tower from 2002 and can't afford an upgrade). Told me his "dream build" of the new MP cost about $13g...

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
I think these look great, but I'm kinda of 'meh' on them b/c there's few software packages out there which can maximize the cores, from my experience.

I love using compressor, but if it would work right, it'd be much better. Can you imagine if it would actually maximize 12 cores to process mpeg2 or h.264 files, without crashing pathetically? THAT would be fantastic.

Bitvice, on the other hand, does maximize all cores (although it's primarily SD mpeg2 output).

If Apple fixes FCP and compressor, then i'll be more excited, but my 2009 quad pro handles Photoshop, FCP, email and surfing without issues as it is. I can't image needing to run more apps at once.

Cheers,
Keebler

grayskies

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2006
I'm very happy to say I'm getting a 12-core on Wednesday...

Two 2.93GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon (12-core)
8GB (4X2GB) SDRAM
ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB
2TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
Two 18x SuperDrives
Magic Mouse + Magic Trackpad

It's replacing a 2002 PowerMac G4 (Dual 1GHz; 1.5GB Ram; 80GB HD)

Totally trading up. Getting two 27-inch Displays in a few weeks from Apple.

Psyched!!

-good for you

I am jealous.

zetzetone

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2009
Can anybody tell me -honestly- please what the difference would be for software like FCP if I traded in my macpro 1,1 for this one, Does graphic card play a role in video editing and rendering of video (Episode, Compressor)? Im totally not up to speed with all the hardware lingo.
Does it also handle 3 disk Raid better when it comes to RT speed (RT playback of xx layers of HD)? Thank you in advance.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
So does apple include any SSD bay adapters if you don't buy the drives from them? If not, can you buy them from apple? I assume other options would be cheaper but I"m curious.

Why such a pedestrian videocard in an otherwise brilliant machine? It's a decent card, but for a rig that costs around $4000 or so, it's disappointing.

Depends what the user needs. I don't need anything more than a pedestrian video card and I'd rather not be paying for one. If there was a better base model at the same price, that would be good but I'd still like the option to downgrade to the most basic card and save some cash.

I just got mine today and love it. I got the 6 core since the only app i use that im aware of that uses all cores is Maya. The rest i use i don't think uses everything. (Photoshop cs5, Zbrush, Unity 3D, corel painter, logic) there are some more but those are the ones i use the most. Logic may use everything I'm not sure though.

So far, it looks like Logic runs terribly on the six core machine, worse than on the quad. There's a benchmark here if you want to try it out and compare.

http://www.gearspace.com/board/music-computers/371545-logic-pro-multicore-benchmarktest.html

Although based on how it runs on the other machines, it seems like it could use all cores if they'd update it.

The mac pro is one thing I would never buy from apple.
Considering I can (and just have) build a 'super' computer for that price I really see no reason to ever get this.

No computer from a manufacturer is ever going to be as cheap as building one yourself. It's like complaining that the food at a restaurant isn't as cheap as the ingredients you get at the grocery store.

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
Wow what a massive performance increase you will see! What do you normally use your Powermac for?
Farmville, mostly.

Ha, no... Graphic Design; Getting into Video Editing... I also bought for longevity. I bought the best in 2002 and it a good living for me. Just seemed natural to do it again, eight years later. Hoping this purchase will last a 6-8 years.

-good for you. I am jealous.
Thank you very much. I'm sorry if it seems I am boasting... I'm just excited. This is the only place I could tell someone what I'm getting and they would understand. I could tell my non-geeks friends (or relatives) and it's just Greek. They wouldn't appreciate the hardware. Also, being that the Quicksilver G4 it's replacing is so slow at doing everything, won't go to sleep and sometimes quits for no reason, I am so glad that I am saying goodbye to those problems. Like going from a broken-down "heap" into a beautiful new Ferrari.

For such a machine, get more RAM and buy at least one aftermarket SSD drive, something like the Intel X25-M G2 160GB
Good advice and I will certainly follow it... just as soon as the 4GB Ram modules come down and the SSD disks get a little cheaper, too.

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
Now look at this picture:
http://images.macrumors.com/article/2010/08/23/234703-A60C5805_500.jpg
What does that show you? Isn't it obvious that this is a 2.5" drive in a 3.5" enclosure? Come on. The gap at the right is just a void.
No it isn't obvious, so there's no need to be snarky.

The dummy enclosure then is incredibly short, and if it's a 2.5" drive they could really design a fifth slot somewhere for such a drive, front of the PCI section maybe, but of a shame. I wonder if there's any brackets out there that could fit two 2.5" drives in a 3.5" bay?

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
Don't know where your getting your figures from but a few weeks ago when I compared the 2009 Mac Pro with the equivalent dell the difference was only £200 odd...

A Dell T3500 is $1,199 with 2.8GHz quad Xeon, 3GB RAM, 320GB HD, cheap 2D card and 3 year warranty. You can add a 5770 and 1TB drive for less than $300 if you wanted via 3rd party. Same thing is £1,385 in the UK inc. VAT.

The huge price differences are only for single processor systems, but my point was to highlight their being little need to compare consumer orientated Core i7 systems to make a point when a workstation can be used as a comparison.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.