Mac Pro Update - July 20th

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Sean Dempsey, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

2. rmwebs macrumors 68040

Nope. If it was going to happen, it would have been today. You know how Apple like to keep their releases synced.

iPad, iPhone, MacMini, Nothing.

Which means:
    - Nothing this month
    - iMac next month
    - iPods September
    - MacBooks October
    - Pro November

Ok....this is a complete wild guess but wouldn't surprise me at all :D

3. zedsdead macrumors 68040

I highly doubt it. Once Apple announces the date for their quarter report, this time July 20th, don't expect anything until AFTER that date. It could occur next wednesday, but I also wouldn't hold my breath on that either.

Based on the reports, I think we will see the iMac, Mac Pro, and new Cinema Display make an appearance in August. If not, I can see it happening in October or November at a desktop focused event based with a new iLife/iWork.

4. keewe macrumors member

september seems to be most likely. several "insiders" on this forum (without any reliable source) said it would take that long and after today... i beleive them.

5. strausd macrumors 68030

I was just lookin at Apples site today. I noticed the "New to the store" thing and of course, iPhone 4 right up there. I'm not so sure it will come out next week, mainly because they probably wana keep iPhone 4 at the top of that list for a while. As for september, we still have no idea. There was only one real "rumor" about it and that was only speculation, so I wouldn't even consider that a true rumor anyways. I just want them to update soon, it's getting ridiculous. I emailed Steve today :) nothing yet... :(

6. BobHail macrumors 6502a

7. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

The only thing keeping me hanging on is osx. I give up on a release before this fall and even though I think that this long delay is quite pathetic, I will wait a bit longer. I'm actually starting to think that apple could very well be phasing the pro out. I don't care about the pc hardware vs the Mac, just my osx programs. I hate to go back to pc, but it is now looking like this may be inevitable. I really thought apple would have pulled this one out by now and I am quite saddened by the state of things and the way apple is handling things like the botched iPhone 4 launch and subsequent antenna debacle. I think it is time for Jobs to go. Apple needs fresh blood. They are starting to resemble Microsoft of the 90's, and that ain't good. I think the writing is on the wall and we need to start considering viable alternatives. I am not willing to continue to invest in a platform that has a bewildering 2 yr update schedule. That is like 10 years in tech years.

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

highly doubted unfortunately :( the iPhone4 seems to still be causing a lot of stress for apple!

9. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

I have NO idea and neither does ANYONE else on this forum. That is a FACT.

10. strausd macrumors 68030

Steve Jobs might need to go, I'm starting to agree with you on that. Because of him, Apple was saved. But now because of him, its turning into a mobile company. They need a CEO that can handle ALL of Apples products, not just portable ones.

11. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I dont know why but I got my money on september.

12. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

I'm with you on the OS X thing. And Tim Cook did a great job during SJ's absence. Macs still seemed like a priority until SJ came back this time.

13. cooljoe349 macrumors regular

cooljoe349

I agree

14. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Things are moving to mobile in the consumer space so it makes sense for Apple to focus more on mobile. Apple isn't tunnel-visioned to the prosumer market like they were before. For people that do need Mac Pros, I thought it was better to have a stable platform for a long period of time, not new platform every half year or something. Also, Apple might be re-designing the Mac Pro. It's one of the only products in their entire lineup that shares a design with their PPC stuff. Everything else, iMac, Mini, MBP, MB, etc. has changed since PPC times.

15. deconstruct60 macrumors 604

They could do it on the same day if don't wait till market closes to release the numbers. Lots of info will be released that day. Even more so since it would not be a "big dog and pony show release". Being quiet before the quarterly report would be more a reason to move it off of today, 13th, much more than the same day. The Mac Pros sold that day have absolutely zero material impact on the FYQ3 numbers that Apple is going to talk about (as they would now). FYQ4 has already started for a couple of weeks. That revenue won't show up until a discussion in October. The number of Mac Pros that they could sell in a couple of hours would have zero impact on their FYQ4 projections. So really makes no difference in the financial discussions.

The SEC restrictions are talking about the financial results. They are not on releasing product if it is time.

Frankly a release that morning of a Mac Pro would avoid someone perhaps bringing up "Are you dumping the Mac product lines" kinds of questions.

That said I personally think the obvious hang up is that Intel hasn't shipped 3620 and 3640 processors. Without them not going to get a Mac Pro update.
    If Intel announces their availabiity on the 19th and Apple doesn't move on the 20th that is a screw up. Not sure if Intel is going to wait till August though to let those loose on the market. ( there is a big i7-960 price cut rumored to be coming in August. That should help open the door for a $600 six core processor. )

Folks wanting some big dog and pony show event are likely in for deep disappointment. The personal computer market is quite mature now. There is no need for nor big impact of big dog and pony show events by single vendor. The primary product category that the Mac Pro and iMac fill have been out for over a decade. It is going to be an incremental update and it isn't some fad "this christmas is pink" trend. Trying to pin Mac releases to circus events is folly.

It would be whacked to update the upped end iMac on Lynnfield stuff when Sandy Bridge options are likely going to drop in Q4. Sure the low end could leverage some Clarkdale stuff that is already out, but that is just dual core, high GHz stuff. That isn't necessarily close to multicore workload work that is Mac Pro centered. There is not much synergy there to couple the two. If Apple did roll out the revamped Lynnfield/Clarkdale stuff they'd be sticking with that for long time after the Sandy bridge stuff went mainstream. If waiting from Aug to late Oct gets you a whole new micro arch at price point can use.... why? Just because have to release in less than 12 months? Don't make much sense from a long term perspective. If the desktop, no IGP, quad core Sandy bridge are going to be too expensive I can see it happening in Aug/Sept. , but otherwise would make more sense to update iMac on 12 month schedule that matches Intel's updates.

Displays...... Eizo , NEC , Dell, HP all seem to be proceeding with higher end displays (some with 10bits and/or 3D LUT ) without Apple's participation. The LED backlight with 27" display still seems to be something Apple hasn't completely nailed down on the iMac. Extremely unlikely, that the Mac Pro crowd would put up with that. The only primary thing Apple needs are 10bit output cards certified on the Mac Pro. The "mainstream" 27"-30" monitor at this point is just commodity play with very little upside. Even more so if going to restrict to just to single display port interfaces (or worse mini display port) .

16. Topper macrumors 65816

Topper

I think we should be guessing on the year, not the date.

17. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

lol touche!! i reckon 2010! :D

18. rmwebs macrumors 68040

+2

The guy has probably been told that there are signs of favouritism inside apple towards the iPhone but he's too damn stubborn to accept that he is wrong.

It's like pirates of silicon valley all over again. He's put the iToys up against the Macintosh - clearly lost all interest in macs.

He was fired for very good reason remember...

19. Roman23 macrumors 6502

My possible projection for a mac pro update.

I really think there is good surprises in store for those who can wait for Sandy Bridge which probably would be more sophisticated and better than anything a 2010 mac pro would offer..

I vote Sandy Bridge is when we will see a new mac pro update.. Its not worth it to goto the 980x or w3600/w5600 processors.. skip that and goto the next best thing: Sandy Bridge.

20. Stevamundo macrumors 6502

Stevamundo

Apple is a multibillion dollar company now. So hire enough people to handle all of their products in a reasonable time frames.

21. strausd macrumors 68030

Well for the 2010 Mac Pro I'm gonna guess 2010. As for a 2011 Mac Pro, I think I'll go 2011 on that, but not 100% ;)

Newer technology being better than old? Never heard of that before...

Sandy Bridge Xeon chips wont be out til late 2011, and at this rate, probably wouldn't be put in Mac Pros til 2012. Most people won't want to wait til 2012 for that. And when that comes out, you will be able to say the same thing about a 2013 Mac Pro being better than the 2012 one, and a 2014 being better than a 2013. This is just how technology works!

Considering they have such a high profit margin, it seems like Apple is kind of greedy and wants to keep as much money as possible. Sure, they could hire more people for all their products and maybe get more sales which would bring in more money, but they obviously haven't done that. I think they really need to do something to keep ALL of their products up to date. We all know how outdated the MP is, but have you ever considered the MBA? I mean come on, they try and market it as an extremely portable laptop you can take anywhere, and pretty much every other vendor who does that gives it 3G, but Apple doesn't. With the iPad, I wouldn't be surprised if they cut the whole MBA line. With the money one would spend for an MBA, you could buy an iPad and a MUCH more powerful MacBook.

22. Sean Dempsey thread starter macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

I just confirmed a rumor with myself that July 20th is a definite date for a speculative release of a new Mac Pro.

Let's keep this thread current with information, I am pretty sure next week is it.

23. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

It was going to happen on the 20th, but since you posted this thread, they moved it back again.

"watched pot never boils"

24. Zetara22 macrumors newbie

What could make you so sure?

25. Stevamundo macrumors 6502

Stevamundo

Wishful thinking.