Mac Pro Updates?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by smogsy, Aug 16, 2009.

1. smogsy macrumors 6502a

Im going to take the plunge for a Mac Pro soon,

just wanted to check is going to be any new updates to this product in the next 6 months? or any speed bumps for free?

2. rossagrant macrumors member

I'm in the same boat entirely!
    Really want to buy the Mac Pro but don't know what the September keynote will hold.
    It's obviously a music/ iPod based keynote but it would be nice for an updated pricing of the Mac Pro, especially here in the UK.
    Will just have to hold off until the event. Who knows what Apple has up their sleeve?

3. netkas macrumors 65816

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

It's unlikely there will be any update until 2010. While there are some things they could do this year, getting better value for your money isn't one that comes to mind.

5. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

If you need it, buy it.

However small chance something may happen in September, but no one knows.

6. Michael73 macrumors 65816

Any changes at this point would be minor and probably not something that would have an enormous day-to-day impact on most buyers usage patterns.

7. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

In the next 6 months I would say yes that there will be an update. Likely Jan or Feb 2010. For free I guess you would have to ask :apple: :)

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Nothing significant before mid 2010 when Gulftown comes. ATI 5000 series is coming later on this year so it's only update we can see in Mac Pro, but that will likely be same kinda as GTX285 is, not available as BTO, has to be bought separately.

9. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

Just out of curiosity, aside from speed bumps, what changes are we expecting in Gulftown?

10. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

I'm personally waiting until the next update to buy. Primarily because I don't absolutely need one, I just really want one.

Do you guys think there will be an update to the hardware in terms of looks anytime soon? I think it's pretty much a stunner right now, but just curious.

11. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

Unless they come up with a more timeless look than the cheesegrater, no. Not impossible. Just very improbable.

12. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

In the September keynote I can see Apple giving a free speed bump with the current prices or a speed bump with a little bit lowered prices.

Also adding bluray to the Mac Pro line (meaning no price drops, but stays the same with free CPU upgrade).

13. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

More cores and higher clock speed due the 32nm process. I don't know what you're waiting for... It's just new line of CPUs like Nehalems used in current gen

14. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

The only clock speed that is fixed for Gulftown is 2,4 GHz. And cores are all six.

15. TheSilencer macrumors regular

I am curious about the Blu-Ray. Why so many people want that - as Steve Jobs said - "bag of hurt"?
    First people whine until they get DRM-free music, now they whine until they get DRM-loaded video? That doesn´t make any sense to me.
    Besides you can use a BD burner for storing data and video in a non DRM format but honestly, hard drives are so cheap why ever use an optical media type again, except for holographic discs maybe? And for producing professional video including BD video you sure go to an disc-stamp company and get real stuff, not self-burned and self-labled.

Anyway, I don´t think Apple will do sth about the MP this year. Next year is so much better with Sandy Bridge and Radeon 5000 and GeForce GTX300.

16. seisend macrumors 6502a

seisend

I bought my Mac Pro two weeks ago. I don't think of an update in this year. Buy now, or wait until next year Q1/Q2

17. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

Uhh,yeah...

Every time you do a presentation at to the client at their place,you rig up your hardware there,instead of bringing one br disk and pop it in the player.

Or it you send some materiel to all the neccessary personell in the project,you ship out 14 HDDs and hope that you get half of them back..

Or even better,go to a "disc-stamp" company and make a glass master just to make a batch of 20 disks.That´s affordable!

Or when you just want to check out your stuff back home,bring your work laptop (that can play 1080p/24 materiel that´s not compressed to *****..) ,find your dvi-to-hdmi cable,set up all the settings on the computer and television and enjoy.
    Instead of bringing just your BR disk...

Riight..

Different people have different needs.

18. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

Makes no sense to me. To get top quality home cinema you have to have Blu-Ray or H.264 DVB-S2. Nothing else gives you 50 Mbit/s 1080p quality. How do you think the stuff magically gets on HDD? I do not know a company which distributes legal product on HDD. The third rated quality that Apple sells isn't good for me. One should not listen to people with a hidden agenda (the billion $$$ agenda of Steve J.) :D

19. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

agreed. it would be nice if a movie company wuld release a 2TB HDD that has a movie on it. imagine the quality!! :eek:

20. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

In the not too distant future, TB will become the new MB.

21. TheSilencer macrumors regular

DVB-S2 and HDD Recorder (or Computer) and it gets magicially at HDD, big and some HDDs better. You just have to deal with the encryption if there is one but that´s possible anyway.

Even I understand your points I just can´t believe how people welcome DRMed stuff after the war for DRM-free music.

And for presentations using BR disk. It´s not Apple´s fault these funky devices can´t play non-DRM H.264 BRs even it´s possible basically but they just don´t allow it.

22. nanofrog macrumors G4

Imagine the cost. :eek: :p

Holographic media would do it though, and mass production would keep the price low enough I should think. :)

23. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

true, that is still a while away though. we are at 2TB.. we need to get to 1000TB for that to become even distinctly out-dated. still another 10years or so i reckon.

atm they are out of the quesiton. $15k for the burner and $200 per disc!! no thankyou. id rather buy a MP ;)

24. nanofrog macrumors G4

I did mention mass production. :p So think as common as DVD is now, before such a possibility would exist. ;)

25. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ok fair point, but that is quite a while away - they are basically still in the production stage of it all!!

give it 5 years or so, BR is still too new anyway.

why are we still using spinning discs? they are FAR to slow!