Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheThirdMan

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2007
London, UK
Just ordered my 2408wfp to go with my 2407wfp and me new mac pro. The cheapest price in the UK is on dell's business site- £422 inc vat and delivery!

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Dell 2408 in front of me now

Our Dell 2408 arrived today, and it's now happily working with an iBook 1.33ghz via the screen spanning hack.

If there's anything you want to ask, feel free to do so. I haven't really put it through any tests, as I don't know how to.

To be honest, I'm glad we got the dell as it's flexibility works better in an office situation, with regards to meeting postural health and safely, and also being able to show each other the display.

I'm sure we would be equally happy with the Apple Cinema display. Interestingly, the 2408 also has a nice silver back, so staring at it on the desk opposite me isn't too painful.

xRedTomato

TBi

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
Our Dell 2408 arrived today, and it's now happily working with an iBook 1.33ghz via the screen spanning hack.

If there's anything you want to ask, feel free to do so. I haven't really put it through any tests, as I don't know how to.

To be honest, I'm glad we got the dell as it's flexibility works better in an office situation, with regards to meeting postural health and safely, and also being able to show each other the display.

I'm sure we would be equally happy with the Apple Cinema display. Interestingly, the 2408 also has a nice silver back, so staring at it on the desk opposite me isn't too painful.

xRedTomato

I didn't know you had an iBook. The ACD wouldn't have worked for you because the iBook has VGA out only and the ACD is DVI in only.

I'm curious if the iBook can actually run the Dell at it's native resolution. VGA isn't the best for running at such high resolutions, you might get some ghosting. Plus the GPU in the iBook isn't powerful enough to keep things running smoothly at high resolutions. It will work fine though, just not smooth.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
I didn't know you had an iBook. The ACD wouldn't have worked for you because the iBook has VGA out only and the ACD is DVI in only.

I'm curious if the iBook can actually run the Dell at it's native resolution. VGA isn't the best for running at such high resolutions, you might get some ghosting. Plus the GPU in the iBook isn't powerful enough to keep things running smoothly at high resolutions. It will work fine though, just not smooth.

I have a MacBook but the other guy has an iBook, which will get replaced with a macbook or similar in a few months.

The iBook runs the 2408 at full resolution 1920 x 1200 plus its own display at 1024 x 768, no problems. The ATI 9550 with 32 MB VRAM is more than powerful enough to deal with it, just needs liberating from Apple's shackles.

I'm just now finding out about the DVI issue :eek: If it had been a serious issue, then I would use the 2408, and he would instead use the new Dell 2007 that *also* arrived today. He needs the 2408 for working with spreadsheets so I'm happy with the 2007 for now.

There's three of us here, and when our boss comes back from Birmingham, we'll decide whether to order a second 2408 or another 2007.

eyecool

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2008
Fort Worth, TX

xRedTomato

How are the viewing angles? Have you watched video on it? What did you think? Are you happy out of the box? Did you have to calibrate?

I'm thinking about getting one. Need more screenestate. I'm a hobbyist that does video, photography and design. My hobbyist budget doesn't comfort the 23" ACD.

Right now I've got 2 decent viewsonic tft's hooked up, but neither is a widescreen. I have a really nice graphics series 19" viewsonic crt, but it's collecting dust in the garage. I used it primarily for gaming, but from what I've read, serious video production is still done on crts too. I'm so confused about what display set up to use... Even if I thew down the $$ for an ACD, I read those are geared to print and design, not video... WTD!?

dog24

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2008
Estonia

xRedTomato

I got mine yesterday, but it had a small triangle of dead pixels right in the middle of the screen so I sent it back, my new one should be here next week.

Have you noticed any input lag or any other problems? Because after reading all the bad comments on the hardware forum, I started thinking that it was a bad purchase... But like I said, I didn't have much time to play with it, i just turned it on and saw the pixels, so I sent it back immediately.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Nope, but as I said, havn't really run any tests on it apart from using it with Office apps / Dreamweaver.

Yesterday just before going home, I think I noticed the new Dell 2007 has a pink hue on the right hand side. I had a quick look online but didn't see other people with the same issues. I'm a bit suprised as this Dell 2007 is a HC model, revision A004, guaranteed S-IPs, probably the last of the 2007 line, and is supposed to have all the problems sorted out.

It's Easter holidays now so won't be back at work till Tuesday.

Erwin-Br

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2008
The Netherlands
Does the 2408 come with a cardreader on the side? And USB connections? That's what I like about my 2407. It's why I decided to go for Dell, at the time.

Plus the fact that it has 5 different connections in the back: DVI, VGA, S-Video, Composite, and Component. Currently I have my mini and pro connected to the same monitor, using the VGA connection for my Mini. :D

--Erwin

scottydawg

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2008
Sacramento, CA
Does the 2408 come with a cardreader on the side? And USB connections? That's what I like about my 2407. It's why I decided to go for Dell, at the time.

Plus the fact that it has 5 different connections in the back: DVI, VGA, S-Video, Composite, and Component. Currently I have my mini and pro connected to the same monitor, using the VGA connection for my Mini. :D

--Erwin

Yes it has the card reader and USB connections.

Timan

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2003
I just received mine today, loving it so far. I just need to tweak some of the display settings for it. Anyone else with this monitor care to share what settings they used?

Heres a pic of it next to a mac pro for those who want to see how well they match up.

macpro90941.jpg

scottydawg

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2008
Sacramento, CA
I would suggest this which got me in the ballpark. I set the contrast to 100 and the brightness to 45. I set the Color Settings to (Custom) RGB then set each channel to 75. I then did a calibration using the built in Mac calibration software and that got mine looking pretty good.

Now to really get close to where you need to be I suggest getting the Xrite Eye1 Display2 system.

ElBerserko

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
Has anyone got text to display right on this display? I've been trying to get it right for 2 weeks now, going through different settings yet nothing satisfies me fully. OS X's text smoothing really doesn't work well on this monitor. If it is set to 'Medium', there are blue and red halos around the text which really stand out on white backgrounds. If i set to to 'Automatic' or 'Standard', the colored halos are replaced by white ones, which stand out on color tinted backgrounds (like gmail blue #E8EEF7).

The sharpness settings make no sense on this monitor, you get 5 settings (0,25,50,75,100) and default is 50 which seems too sharp because of the text halos. 25 is too blurry. Why a digital connection has sharpness settings is beyond me.

This is all with the DVI connection. VGA seems to smooth out the picture enough to hide the bad looking text, but I am not paying this much on a monitor to settle with VGA.

LeKiD

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2007
My Mac Pro is running on a beautiful Dell 2408 Monitor. Love the look of it, it doesn't look cheap at all and it definitely isn't. Does the job with more component plugs you'll ever need!

dog24

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2008
Estonia
So scottydawg, are you happy with it, or you're going to return it? I've read so many negative comments about it that I am thinking that it's a bad purchase. /=

TKEik683

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2007
NY
I am really happy with my 2408. I have it sitting next to a 2407 and it seems just as good. The only issue I have now is that I cant get a good color set up on both of them. What is more frustrating is that my Huey Pro that was delivered earlier this week was defective :(

Ill post some pics up later today. I need suggestions for a desk and I am out of room. (cant even fit speakers on it!)

Dave

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
I just received mine today, loving it so far. I just need to tweak some of the display settings for it. Anyone else with this monitor care to share what settings they used?

Heres a pic of it next to a mac pro for those who want to see how well they match up.

That looks really nice! What are you using it for if you don't mind me asking?

scottydawg

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2008
Sacramento, CA
So scottydawg, are you happy with it, or you're going to return it? I've read so many negative comments about it that I am thinking that it's a bad purchase. /=
I am returning mine do to the cartoonish red and green colors on websites and some programs. I have ordered an NEC 2490WUXi. The reason I am returning it is confirmed by everything I've read on the Hard Forums, DP Reivew and other places, the tech world is not ready for a wide gamut monitor yet... we are still in a sRGB world. I like the Dell but the way it renders colors that are not profiled is just not pleasing and it's not just the Dell, it would seem to be any wide gamut monitor has the same issues.

dog24

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2008
Estonia
I am returning mine do to the cartoonish red and green colors on websites and some programs. I have ordered an NEC 2490WUXi. The reason I am returning it is confirmed by everything I've read on the Hard Forums, DP Reivew and other places, the tech world is not ready for a wide gamut monitor yet... we are still in a sRGB world. I like the Dell but the way it renders colors that are not profiled is just not pleasing and it's not just the Dell, it would seem to be any wide gamut monitor has the same issues.

well, but is it any good for an average user? Or should I return mine too, I guess I won't until I get mine here... I do not intend to do any professional photography work, just for movies, PS3 and web surfing and a little bit of photoshop for my web sites.

scottydawg

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2008
Sacramento, CA
You will have to decide that for yourself, what bothers one person may be great for another. I do a lot of Photoshop work so it is more important to me I guess. I would bet the Dell is great for a good number of people. For the record, overall I like MANY things about this monitor.

dog24

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2008
Estonia
You will have to decide that for yourself, what bothers one person may be great for another. I do a lot of Photoshop work so it is more important to me I guess. I would bet the Dell is great for a good number of people. For the record, overall I like MANY things about this monitor.

Thanks for the reply, I guess I'll just have to get my hands on it first to decide.

TheThirdMan

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2007
London, UK
My 2408wfp arrived today. Ive only had a chance to test it on a ps3 through hdmi, and it works perfectly. I read reports saying it overscanned the image, but it's literally pixel perfect, all text is super sharp, as if coming from a desktop computer.

Ill report back when i get the mac pro.

jjahshik32

macrumors 603
Sep 4, 2006

I agree, for a computer monitor I have to say that until we get to the LED or OLED only then can we experience the true wide gamut color range.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.