Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Mac Shipments Up in Q3 2020 Amid Worldwide PC Market Growth

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's worldwide Mac shipments saw decent growth in the third quarter of 2020, according to new preliminary PC shipping estimates shared this afternoon by Gartner.

Gartner's Preliminary Worldwide PC Vendor Unit Shipment Estimates for 3Q20 (Thousands of Units)

Apple shipped an estimated 5.5 million Macs during the quarter, up 7.3 percent from the 5.1 million that it shipped in the third quarter of 2019. Apple's marketshare grew from 7.5 percent to 7.7 percent, and while it fared well, some PC manufacturers saw even higher shipment growth.

Acer and ASUS, for example, saw significant growth with shipments increasing 29.5 percent and 12.9 percent, respectively, over 2019 shipment numbers. Neither sold enough PCs to topple Apple's position as the number four worldwide PC vendor, however.

Lenovo, the number one worldwide PC vendor, shipped an estimated 18 million PCs, up from 16.9 million in the year-ago quarter for 8.3 percent growth. HP's shipments were up slightly with 15.5 million PCs shipped, while Dell saw a slight decline, shipping 10.8 million PCs compared to 11.3 million in the third quarter of 2019.

Apple's Market Share Trend: 1Q06-3Q20 (Gartner)

PC shipments were up this year due to the ongoing global health crisis, which has resulted in people working and learning from home.
"This quarter had the strongest consumer PC demand that Gartner has seen in five years," said Mikako Kitagawa, research director at Gartner. "The market is no longer being measured in the number of PCs per household; rather, the dynamics have shifted to account for one PC per person. While PC supply chain disruptions tied to the COVID-19 pandemic have been largely resolved, this quarter saw shortages of key components, such as panels, as a result of this high consumer demand.
Apple saw similar growth in the United States, shipping an estimated 2.4 million Macs in the U.S., up seven percent from the 2.3 million that it shipped in Q3 2019. Apple was also the number four vendor in the United States, trailing after HP, Dell, and Lenovo. All PC vendors in the U.S. saw growth, and the U.S. PC market was up 11.4 percent compared to the year-ago quarter, marking the most significant U.S. PC shipment growth in 10 years.

HP continues to be the number one U.S. vendor with 5.1 million PCs shipped, followed by Dell with 4.1 million PCs shipped, and Lenovo with 2.5 million PCs shipped.

Gartner's Preliminary U.S. PC Vendor Unit Shipment Estimates for 3Q20 (Thousands of Units)

IDC also released its own shipment estimates this afternoon, which are wildly different from Gartner's when it comes to Apple's sales. According to IDC, Apple shipped an estimated 6.9 million Macs, up 38.9 percent from the 5 million shipped in the third quarter of 2019.

IDC also positions Apple as the number four worldwide vendor, trailing Lenovo, HP, and Dell. Gartner and IDC have different metrics for their measurements, which perhaps explains some of the discrepancy in numbers. Gartner counts desk-based PCs, notebook PCs, and ultramobile premiums, but not Chromebooks or iPads.

The numbers from IDC include desktops, notebooks, and workstations, but not tablets or x86 servers. IDC and Gartner's data is based on estimates, and because Apple no longer provides specific breakdowns of Mac sales, it is difficult to confirm exact numbers.

Apple may see a surge in Mac sales in the coming months as it prepares to transition its entire Mac lineup from Intel's chips to its Arm-based Apple Silicon chips. The first Macs with Apple Silicon chips are expected to arrive before the end of the year.

Article Link: Mac Shipments Up in Q3 2020 Amid Worldwide PC Market Growth

Last edited:

jayducharme

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
It's amazing to me that Apple is in fourth place after shipping five and a half MILLION computers. I can't even fathom that number. And they do this quarter after quarter. The amount is just staggering (as is the greater number of PCs that wind up in landfills after a couple years).

Comment

Shalev

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2015
this probably counts all the stripped down lazy products those companies sell... what is the market share for a 1000$+? 1500$? 2500$?

where are the categories in this...?
this numbers saying nothing, pointless data

Last edited:
Reactions: tmaxxtigger
Comment

Leozillo

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2020
Lenovos are very cool... they had to release a titanium X1 right after I got mine :eek:

Comment

TakeshimaIslands

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2020
Damn, what changed with Acer?! They're on fire this year!

working and studying from home due to the virus caused a massive surge in value laptop sales. You dont need a $2k macbook pro to run Gsuite or MS teams.

Also as with ASUS they was the first to widely adopt the superior AMD mobile Ryzen chips in their laptops which would also cause a sales boost , I wouldn't be surprised if that was the reason for intel friendly dells deline in sales

Comment

Darth Tulhu

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2019
SD card readers. nVidia graphics. HDMI/USB port. 5G/LTE. Smaller bezels. No Touch Bar. Aluminum that won't scratch like paper. MagSafe.
We sadly won't see any of these on a Mac, save maybe the smaller bezels.

I believe Apple will save the 5G/LTE for the iPad line, but I could be wrong.

Comment

jerryk

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
More laptops because the pandemic has everyone stuck at home and each kid needs one for virtual school. The local schools handed out a 1000 or more Macs, most Airs, but the occasional 13".

Comment

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Wait until Arm Macs, especially if they are faster and cheaper.
Faster? Highly likely imo. I doubt they'd intro computers on a new architecture for them to only equal what they already have.

Cheaper? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Nah, I just funnin' ya. But seriously, hahahahahhahahaha. :D :D

Comment

DexBell

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2016
Shipments are not sales, so this is pretty meaningless. Oh and people still buy desktops and laptops? Why?

Comment

wood1208

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2015
Wait until Apple Silicon based MACs start rolling out. Apple wants more PC market share which helps drive services revenue.

Comment

jamezr

macrumors G5
Aug 7, 2011
US
Wait until Apple Silicon based MACs start rolling out. Apple wants more PC market share which helps drive services revenue.
Not sure Silicon Macs with hurt PC sales. I have a iMac with an Intel processor that dual boots Win 10 because I need Windows for some programs. I am not sure the Silicon Macs will allow the dual boot option on Macs anymore. So it might spur some people to buy a Windows machine to run apps that won't or don't run as well on a Mac.

Comment

Freeangel1

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2020
these numbers wont look so good once they switch to ARM.
you watch
ARM computers:

NON UPGRADABLE
EXPENSIVE TO FIX
ENERGY EFFICIENT BUT NOT POWERFUL FOR ADOBE OR 3d ANIMATION
PROPRIATARY

Get an iPad if you like ARM. same thing
ARM is only good for a MacBook. not PRO

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.