Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Mac Shipments Up in Q3 2020 Amid Worldwide PC Market Growth

ian87w

macrumors 68000
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
And not compatible with anything! I‘m sure the dopes working from home who think they are going to be able to open MS Office when they bring that new, shiny, overpriced Mac home will be as super excited as you are!
Huh? MS Office was shown at WWDC 2020 running on the A12Z. And there's already MS Office apps on iOS as well. Besides, you can always use the web version of MS Office.
So many ways to simply open MS Office files if one actually wants to work on it. Even Google Docs will open them.

Reactions: KeithBN
Comment

JLL

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
Huh? MS Office was shown at WWDC 2020 running on the A12Z. And there's already MS Office apps on iOS as well. Besides, you can always use the web version of MS Office.
So many ways to simply open MS Office files if one actually wants to work on it. Even Google Docs will open them.

You all seem to forget that the ARM Macs will be able to run many x86 apps due to Rosetta 2, so even if Office wasn't ARM-ready it would probably run anyway.

Comment

justperry

macrumors G4
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Faster? Highly likely imo. I doubt they'd intro computers on a new architecture for them to only equal what they already have.

Cheaper? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Nah, I just funnin' ya. But seriously, hahahahahhahahaha. :D :D

I don't think they will be cheaper either but if they are it might be just slightly.

Cheaper, this is Apple, you really think that?

Same as above

They wont be faster. Cheaper Yes. APPLE controls production and price. they wanted this
AMD AND INTEL will eat ARM MACS for lunch

Why not faster, I think they will be faster, they have to be faster especially the first one.

Unless Apple significantly lower prices, their market share will not budge. Look at the red line on the graph above; it has been stagnant between 6 and 8% for the last SIX YEARS.

Apple computers are simply too expensive for the majority of people.

We're in a strange year, more people work from home, we'll see.

Cheaper? Oh you are a witty one.

As above, I don't think they will be cheaper either, but if they are just a slight price decrease.

I do wish people would step into reality. Faster they will be, cheaper they won't be.

As above.

I'll give you faster. However, I can't give you cheaper.

As above.

Comment

Unregistered 4U

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2002
Everyone want MAC but traditionally people buy Windows because they are cheap. Soon as Apple start using it's own CPU/GPU inside say Macbook Pro or Air; against Intel based Windows, they will be differentiated in features,performance and attractive price; people will jump to MAC laptops. Once you are MAC user, you are always MAC users.
People actually want and are buying iPads, more than all Laptop PC’s combined. We’ve gotten to the point where the capabilities of an iPad are way over what most folks need. Add to that, the possibility of having an always on internet connection and you’ve got a winning combination.

Comment

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
I wonder how much custom PCs would factor into this chart? Or do they even measure that?

No it probably doesn’t. How would you measure it accurately?

Some one buying a motherboard could be upgrading an existing pc vs a new build.

Comment

ian87w

macrumors 68000
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
You all seem to forget that the ARM Macs will be able to run many x86 apps due to Rosetta 2, so even if Office wasn't ARM-ready it would probably run anyway.
Exactly, so I don't quite get what @robjulo is so concerned about in regards to compatibility.

Comment

rp2011

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2010
With even some among the Apple consumers predicting that sales will drop, and obviously, Apple is making a risky move in betting on themselves, my worry is actually that they will be so successful that the tech illiterates in congress will acuse Apple of being a monopoly when it is wildly successful with it.

Reactions: AlphaCentauri
Comment

TakeshimaIslands

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2020
Please, enlighten the many.

Maybe Baymowe335 is talking about revenue and profit share compared to a 'dumb' market share compassion is more relevant .
ACER and ASUS have had a huge covid induced sales spike but most of their product line has razor thin margin consisting of items Items like $200 chromebooks..

With the rise in teleconferencing, work from home and distance learning institutions and companies are now bulk buying cheaper laptops causing some laptop makers sales to explode.

A $200-300 1080p device with an attached keyboard and built in webcam good enough for their needs

Comment

2ilent8cho

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2016
Expect a double digit YOY growth if Apple finally redesigns the iMac and gets rid of the Touch Bar.

I bought 2 MacBook Pro's this year TO GET THE TOUCHBAR (13" and a 16"). Its cool. I did not need a new MacBook as I have 2 Airs, a 15" 2013 Pro and a 12" MacBook still going strong, but I always loved that Touch Bar.

Comment

otternonsense

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2016
Berlin
I bought 2 MacBook Pro's this year TO GET THE TOUCHBAR (13" and a 16"). Its cool. I did not need a new MacBook as I have 2 Airs, a 15" 2013 Pro and a 12" MacBook still going strong, but I always loved that Touch Bar.

OK. Fine that you love it, and I don't with to take that joy away from you. What I want is to make it an optional BTO component.

Comment

jamezr

macrumors G5
Aug 7, 2011
US
I've been on Macs exclusively for over 25 years. The reason I buy Macs is because I have no interest in running Windows and I have successfully gone through the roughest times when popular and required software wasn't available on Mac . If today people still have to run Windows after all these years then buying a Mac is stupid idea.
What is stupid is limiting your options and convenience. Just because you went through tough times when other options were available doesn't mean everyone else should to the same thing. Then just because someone might want or have a need to run windows occasionally doesn't mean it is stupid.

Comment

fishmongerer

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2016
Wait until Apple Silicon based MACs start rolling out. Apple wants more PC market share which helps drive services revenue.
As someone who has used Mac and Windows for a LONG time, Apple Silicon isn't going to change anything much with the PC market.

Comment

fishmongerer

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2016
Despite Apple’s recent software mishaps (Catalina has been a pain, the last .1 update and the new Safari to name a few), Macs are still the best personal computers out there, hopefully the silicon transition is a success I dont want to have to use Windows ever again haha
It depends on the person. Some of us are firmly now in Windows land. Because we like ports, we like Windows 10 (or are okay with it), we like good keyboards, prices, ports, able to upgrade, touchscreens, "FaceID" for our laptops...

If you don't want to use Windows fine. Some do. And some will never use a Mac. So I disagree that Macs are the best personal computer out there (making the assumption this is for everyone).

Comment

MacBH928

Contributor
May 17, 2008
Acer is killing it for some reason with 30% increase, my guess is their offering is the cheapest. HP&Dell aren't getting much love although they are the main brand names in PC/laptops.

Comment

MacBH928

Contributor
May 17, 2008
It depends on the person. Some of us are firmly now in Windows land. Because we like ports, we like Windows 10 (or are okay with it), we like good keyboards, prices, ports, able to upgrade, touchscreens, "FaceID" for our laptops...

If you don't want to use Windows fine. Some do. And some will never use a Mac. So I disagree that Macs are the best personal computer out there (making the assumption this is for everyone).
I think he meant best operating system out there, like user friendly

Comment

Analog Kid

macrumors 603
Mar 4, 2003
Maybe Baymowe335 is talking about revenue and profit share compared to a 'dumb' market share compassion is more relevant .
ACER and ASUS have had a huge covid induced sales spike but most of their product line has razor thin margin consisting of items Items like $200 chromebooks..

With the rise in teleconferencing, work from home and distance learning institutions and companies are now bulk buying cheaper laptops causing some laptop makers sales to explode.

A $200-300 1080p device with an attached keyboard and built in webcam good enough for their needs

Maybe so, but I doubt they were talking about profits. Nothing in this article or my comment discusses profits, so I'm not sure why that would be a point of "confusion".

Yes, there's been a surge in demand for low cost machines but Acer seems to have capitalized on it and scaled better to meet that demand than their competitors. Credit where credit's due.

Last edited:
Comment

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2016
WOW I didn't know this. Thanks for telling us. I better remove that copy of iWork on my "recently-installed High Sierra iMac" since you said Apple doesn't allow iWork to be installed on OS's older than Catalina. SMH.
What I meant was, Apple doesn't provide anywhere to download an older version that will install on Mojave or older. If you know where to find such an installer, please do point me to it. Or if you have a dmg for it, please do put it up on the cloud somewhere with a public link and send me the link :)

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.