Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Mac Shipments Up in Q3 2020 Amid Worldwide PC Market Growth

wood1208

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2015
Not sure Silicon Macs with hurt PC sales. I have a iMac with an Intel processor that dual boots Win 10 because I need Windows for some programs. I am not sure the Silicon Macs will allow the dual boot option on Macs anymore. So it might spur some people to buy a Windows machine to run apps that won't or don't run as well on a Mac.
Everyone want MAC but traditionally people buy Windows because they are cheap. Soon as Apple start using it's own CPU/GPU inside say Macbook Pro or Air; against Intel based Windows, they will be differentiated in features,performance and attractive price; people will jump to MAC laptops. Once you are MAC user, you are always MAC users.

Reactions: KeithBN
Comment

jamezr

macrumors G5
Aug 7, 2011
US
Everyone want MAC but traditionally people buy Windows because they are cheap. Soon as Apple start using it's own CPU/GPU inside say Macbook Pro or Air; against Intel based Windows, they will be differentiated in features,performance and attractive price; people will jump to MAC laptops. Once you are MAC user, you are always MAC users.
true...but that is not what I said.....Some need to have both and it is nice to dual boot Macs and Windows.

Reactions: NMBob
Comment

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2016
Despite Apple’s recent software mishaps (Catalina has been a pain, the last .1 update and the new Safari to name a few), Macs are still the best personal computers out there, hopefully the silicon transition is a success I dont want to have to use Windows ever again haha
I agree, but there is a big fat software problem at Apple. Not only is Catalina plagued with problems, but if you buy a new mac, you can't install Mojave or older, which is a tragic decision. I did consider buying a 16" MBP recently, but halted that decision when I found out I can't put Mojave on it. And just to pile on the stupidiy, if you have Mojave or older (like I do), then Apple won't let you install iWork (not even an older version), which is utterly ridiculous. I also considered having another look at iWork after all these years, but for an office suite to be fully useful, you need to be able to collaborate and share documents, so another big fail. The level of control freak does not match the level of quality control.

Comment

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2016
Faster? Highly likely imo. I doubt they'd intro computers on a new architecture for them to only equal what they already have.

Cheaper? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Nah, I just funnin' ya. But seriously, hahahahahhahahaha. :D :D
Hahahahaha, omg, did he actually say cheaper???? HAhahahahhaha oh man, my stomach hurts.

Comment

Realityck

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I agree, but there is a big fat software problem at Apple. Not only is Catalina plagued with problems, but if you buy a new mac, you can't install Mojave or older, which is a tragic decision. I did consider buying a 16" MBP recently, but halted that decision when I found out I can't put Mojave on it. And just to pile on the stupidiy, if you have Mojave or older (like I do), then Apple won't let you install iWork (not even an older version), which is utterly ridiculous. I also considered having another look at iWork after all these years, but for an office suite to be fully useful, you need to be able to collaborate and share documents, so another big fail. The level of control freak does not match the level of quality control.
Every recent Mac has had this type of limitation of requiring a very recent Mac OS paired with it to run. Even my late 2015 iMac needed macOS Sierra, you could not run a earlier Mac OS except via VM.

I imagine you will be able to run Mojave or older in a VM environment on a Apple Silicon Mac but it will come with what ever is the latest Mac OS you can be sure of it.

You can certainly work around that running a VM environment so that older documents can be accessed and worked with older applications.

Last edited:
Reactions: sideshowuniqueuser
Comment

Fabercon

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2020
Don't forget the numbers from Gartner are for the standard distribution channels such as Best Buy, Amazon, and international retailers.

Gartner does not have access to the sales number for direct sales including from apple.com and Apple retail stores.

While lots of manufacturers also sell directly to consumer (dell.com), having the physical stores puts Apple into a different position than most retailers.

The actual marketshare of Apple in USA could actually be significantly higher (possibly by as much as +5%) because of Apple Retail stores.

Reactions: citysnaps
Comment

Maconplasma

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2020
working and studying from home due to the virus caused a massive surge in value laptop sales. You dont need a $2k macbook pro to run Gsuite or MS teams.

Also as with ASUS they was the first to widely adopt the superior AMD mobile Ryzen chips in their laptops which would also cause a sales boost , I wouldn't be surprised if that was the reason for intel friendly dells deline in sales
The first part of your post is 100% spot on. The part I bold-faced, you've gotta be kidding? Only people that even know what any of that means are techies. Its doubtful the majority of people who had to buy new computers during COVID gave business to Asus because they were first to adopt AMD Ryzen chips. LOL.

Comment

Maconplasma

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2020
Not sure Silicon Macs with hurt PC sales. I have a iMac with an Intel processor that dual boots Win 10 because I need Windows for some programs. I am not sure the Silicon Macs will allow the dual boot option on Macs anymore. So it might spur some people to buy a Windows machine to run apps that won't or don't run as well on a Mac.
I've been on Macs exclusively for over 25 years. The reason I buy Macs is because I have no interest in running Windows and I have successfully gone through the roughest times when popular and required software wasn't available on Mac . If today people still have to run Windows after all these years then buying a Mac is stupid idea.

Comment

Maconplasma

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2020
And just to pile on the stupidiy, if you have Mojave or older (like I do), then Apple won't let you install iWork (not even an older version), which is utterly ridiculous.
WOW I didn't know this. Thanks for telling us. I better remove that copy of iWork on my "recently-installed High Sierra iMac" since you said Apple doesn't allow iWork to be installed on OS's older than Catalina. SMH.

Comment

rp2011

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2010
Go Acer go. They are seeing the greatest improvement. Good for them, they have been at it since I can remember.

Comment

rp2011

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2010
these numbers wont look so good once they switch to ARM.
you watch
ARM computers:

NON UPGRADABLE
EXPENSIVE TO FIX
ENERGY EFFICIENT BUT NOT POWERFUL FOR ADOBE OR 3d ANIMATION
PROPRIATARY

Get an iPad if you like ARM. same thing
ARM is only good for a MacBook. not PRO
Yeah no. They are going to see explosive growth with Apple Silicon.

Comment

ian87w

macrumors 68000
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Damn, what changed with Acer?! They're on fire this year!
Nothing's changed. Acer (and also Asus) are focused mostly on the mid to low end. In emerging markets, they sell a boatload of their low end laptops. The pandemic pushes this further since majority of people cannot afford $1000 - $2000 laptops (which is where Apple is mostly)

Reactions: Analog Kid
Comment

robjulo

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
And not compatible with anything! I‘m sure the dopes working from home who think they are going to be able to open MS Office when they bring that new, shiny, overpriced Mac home will be as super excited as you are!

Wait until Arm Macs, especially if they are faster and cheaper.

• Disagree
Reactions: ravenstar
Comment

scoblep

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2014
these numbers wont look so good once they switch to ARM.
you watch
ARM computers:

NON UPGRADABLE
EXPENSIVE TO FIX
ENERGY EFFICIENT BUT NOT POWERFUL FOR ADOBE OR 3d ANIMATION
PROPRIATARY

Get an iPad if you like ARM. same thing
ARM is only good for a MacBook. not PRO
You're just simply wrong. Besides that three of those points (non upgradable, expensive to fix, proprietary) already apply to the current Mac lineup. Apple silicon will be able to compete with any notebook grade Intel or AMD CPUs on day one and will beat any integrated graphics on day one as well. Right now we've only had first hand experience with chips Apple has built for iPads and those iPad SoCs are already more powerful than most PC notebooks in use today. The SoCs they're building for Macs will be significantly more powerful than that.

Comment

scoblep

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2014
And not compatible with anything! I‘m sure the dopes working from home who think they are going to be able to open MS Office when they bring that new, shiny, overpriced Mac home will be as super excited as you are!
Microsoft showed off a universal version of office at WWDC in June. The vast majority of popular Mac apps will be universal shortly after the release of the first Apple silicon Macs.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.