Gus

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
Minnesota
Re: Rush??

Originally posted by zedwards
Oh yeah, and i found this:

Email-Only Accounts
You can purchase up to 10 additional email-only accounts. These Mac.com Email accounts contain the following:
-5MB of storage on Apple's servers
-Access from both the web and most email clients
-Support for both POP and IMAP
-Account auto-reply and forwarding
-Ability to add text email signature
-ISP independence
-No advertisements
What advertisements? Is this something that is happening now? I don't get it.
Gus

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
Originally posted by verbose101

Not really, hotmail is still FREE, has millions of users, and I can't see that ever changing.
yes, but it is not free imap access to that email. I don't want to use a web browser to access my email. I want to pick from all the MTAs available out there, and pick the one that is right for me.

BobVB

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2002
Re: Rush??

Originally posted by zedwards
Yeah, thats just what apple is thinking. I cant wait til Sept 30 to nab an additional account of the username I REALLY want. :cool:)
If you are thinking you can get an address someone else had then you're going to be disappointed. Apple has already said they will not be re-issuing any account names, probably for the obvious email security reasons that would cause.

mox358

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2002
Indiana
.net will change things

Not really, hotmail is still FREE, has millions of users, and I can't see that ever changing.
I can see Hotmail going to a subscription route (tied in with dot-net) and not being free. I'm not sure how much bandwidth gets paid for by all the ads, but not even MS can keep eating those costs forever, or atleast they won't, they are the original money hungry greedy computer company. :D I think the entire MS landscape will change when .Net arrives, and I can see hotmail and msn being rolled into .Net.

Of course, thats a long time away since MS themselves are still unsure of what .Net actually is.

mgroup

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2002
.MAC Payment

Does anyone know how I can sign up for the.MAC without using a credit card?

macsurfer

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2002
NYC, L.A.

Is Hotmail IMAP? NO. Does Hotmail synchronize between your mail app on your computer and the web interface? NO. Do you get inundated with SPAM on Hotmail? YES. Do banner ads run in your Hotmail account?. YES. Do banner ads run in your .mac email account web interface? NO.

Pray tell, how does Hotmail even BEGIN to compare with the outstanding product that is .mac email? It's not even CLOSE.

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
Microsoft also has enough liquid cash lying around to run such a service probably for a few hundred years before they started to feel the pinch. Most companies (including Apple) don't have that luxury.

My response to that is, if Hotmail gives you what you're looking for, then what are you complaining about? Use Hotmail.

drastik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2002
Nashvegas
I find it hard top believe that everyone is complaining about an email address. I'm sorry you're too lazy to change yours, thats what adress books are for, anyway.

You want unfair, I used to have a free email account, it was great, but they shutdown, whole thing is gone, mail locked in there, or so I thought.

Meanwhile, I recently recieved a forwarded email from a friend I have who's traveling in India right now. I noticed in the address list that he had this old address of mine still listed. I wrote him and asked, and lo and behold, they are not being sent back to him. Those emails are going somewhere, and I can't get to them.

That just sucks.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
hotmail -> spammail

most emails that bounce back to me are from hotmail: "Mailbox full." full of spam, no doubt.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Originally posted by drastik

Meanwhile, I recently recieved a forwarded email from a friend I have who's traveling in India right now. I noticed in the address list that he had this old address of mine still listed. I wrote him and asked, and lo and behold, they are not being sent back to him. Those emails are going somewhere, and I can't get to them.
That is pretty crappy, sorry to hear that.

But just to chime in here, if the price of a .mac account was $20/year or maybe even $25, I might go and get it. I don't use it for email anyway, its just very convenient for working with iPhoto. When I have some images I want to share, they go directly up to the iTools folder. And I know I can export html, which is what I'll have to when I load it up to my home page now. Its just not as simple.

It basically boils down to how much I would pay for that convenience - $100 is way too much.

D

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
Homepage

Hi

having never used the Homepage feature, can it be used to serve all web pages - ie the ones i make in Dremaweaver, or do you have to use the Homepage feature on the website?

Cheers
Hamish

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
Re: Homepage

Originally posted by gotohamish
Hi

having never used the Homepage feature, can it be used to serve all web pages - ie the ones i make in Dremaweaver, or do you have to use the Homepage feature on the website?
in itools, using Homepage Builder was optional. there was a way for you to dump pre-existing html et. al. up there.

i can't imagine them changing that.

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
Re: Re: Homepage

Originally posted by zimv20

in itools, using Homepage Builder was optional. there was a way for you to dump pre-existing html et. al. up there.

i can't imagine them changing that.
What? is it not anymore? Do you remember the way to do it! Much appreciated.

Hamish

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
Re: Re: Re: Homepage

What? is it not anymore? Do you remember the way to do it! Much appreciated.
disclaimer 1: this is from memory
disclaimer 2: i never tried this
disclaimer 3: i was born in indiana

don't bother w/ homepage. go straight to idisk. once it's mounted, browse around and you'll see where it sticks the homepage. just copy your .html et. al. into the right spot.

eric_n_dfw

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2002
DFW, TX, USA
re: domain name forwarding

Originally posted by drastik
...You can buy doman names and forward them to .mac accounts.
You can? How?
I didn't think .mac supported domain hosting.

Are you talking about another server just forwarding the browser to the homepage site? If so, what would end up showing in the browser's URL field? Your domain name or the homepage.mac.com one?

MacArtist

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
Hi

Cheers
Hamish
You can use any web editor you want. Homepage is an easy to use tool for the consumer. You can use BBedit, Golive, Dreamweaver, or anything else you want.

Steps invovled in using your own editor:
1.design your site (flat layout or organised in folders doesn't matter.)
2.name your main page Index.html
3.mount your idisk to your desktop
4.drag your site to the Sites folder
your website is now online

MacArtist

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2002
Re: re: domain name forwarding

Originally posted by eric_n_dfw

You can? How?
I didn't think .mac supported domain hosting.

Are you talking about another server just forwarding the browser to the homepage site? If so, what would end up showing in the browser's URL field? Your domain name or the homepage.mac.com one?
At one time I had a domain name registered through Verisign and was able to foward it to my itools/.mac site. When the site got fowarded from www.mydomain.com to homepage.mac.com/username/, homepage.mac.com/username/ was the url that visitors saw. I think that other registrars have the ability to foward www.mydomain.com to homepage.mac.com/username/ and the visitor will still see www.mydomain.com.

trilogic

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2001
Switzerland
my girlfriend is using the homepage feature alot. mostly sharing pictures with iPhoto. So to keep that service she just updated from iTools to .mac

At the moment her iBook is beeing scaned from virex. later she'll do a backup. I have to say that what you get is worth the money. If you use all the features.

i'm thinking about that iCal publishing feature. Isn't that great for everybody who wants to share or publish calendar information for school, clubs or whatever?

of course the membership is too expensive for only the .mac email - but, if you not allready have virus protection .... want to share fotos ... etc.

I think I'll upgrade myself. the first year is only $49

zedwards

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2002
France
Yes hotmail is free, but....

Hmm... last time I checked my "Free" Hotmail account I noted at least 155 spam messages (with spam filter on) and a nice banner ad for debt management. What a deal.

erik1975

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2002
Illinois
I am shocked that I am the first person to spot this on the email I got from Apple today. Check this out!

In the right side of the email I got from Apple has a button labeled 'Join Now' with the following text below it:

"Ready to Join?
Get everything you need to extend your digital life for just $49.95 a year."

Maybe I'm just the dumb new guy, but that statement sounds like they might be rethinking their yearly rate for .mac. It doesn't say:
"Ready to Join?
Get everything you need to extend your digital life for just $49.95 for the first year, and $99.95 each additional year."

I'll try to attach a pdf of the message as well.

Attachments