Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmsv1287

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2008
Hey,

3 of my family members got iphones today. Yahoo! except we cannot get them to work. (We are trying to get the phones to work on Rogers as we are in Canada)

Me and my brother are both moderately tech savvy so we have googled how to perform the jailbrake or unlocking procedures. However we are both having issues unlocking the iPhone.

We are all having the same issue. When we plug the iPhone into the computer via the USB, and the computer does not seem to recognize it. According to the tutorials, iTunes should start up and recognize the iPhone. I have the latest version of iTunes and I have signed into my iTunes account but the application will still not recognize it. I am quite a bit lost and do not know what to do next.

The model iPhone we have is the A1203. However, I am not sure what firmware version it is, I think its 1.1.1 since the production week was 44.

Also my brother was using his and the phone completely froze on him. Any suggestions?

If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it.

Dustin

cmsv1287

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2008
Any help available?

I was speaking to someone today and they told me that the sim needed to be in the phone but that did not help any.

When I plug the phone into my mac nothing happens.

However, when i plug it into my pc, the computer treats it like a mass storage device. I get a white screen with USB Config:Mass Storage,Webcam, and COM Port

Anyone help? If there is anyone on here in the Halifax Regional Municipality? I will pay to get this unlocked

Dustin

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
Sorry, don't know how to help you with the technical problems, but....

...your family couldn't wait until next week for the 3G iPhones?

cmsv1287

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2008
No.. I could not wait because it was a surprise gift from my dad.. he brought them back from china as presents.

It is frustrating because i know people can unlock them I have seen people post numerous tutorials on how to unlock them. This thing will not let me press the home key and the power to get the reset. My fingers go numb from holding on so long I don't know what to do its pretty much useless for me...

Anyone have the same problems:

1) Cannot get to restore mode
2) Computer will not recognize it

Aravintht

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
London, UK
No.. I could not wait because it was a surprise gift from my dad.. he brought them back from china as presents.

It is frustrating because i know people can unlock them I have seen people post numerous tutorials on how to unlock them. This thing will not let me press the home key and the power to get the reset. My fingers go numb from holding on so long I don't know what to do its pretty much useless for me...

Anyone have the same problems:

1) Cannot get to restore mode
2) Computer will not recognize it

china...how?

they dont have it yet...are you sure it is a genuine apple iPhone?

Nicholas.C

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2008
china...how?

does this phones look like this?

l_72644148429840ffac19fada4f70c637.jpg

This is what mine was.

Rojo

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2006
Barcelona
china...how?

That was my question. I hate to say this, but if it was from China, it's quite possible they are knock-offs...like the above poster's picture, which is definitely NOT the iPhone.

Edit: Nicholas.C - I thought you were the OP at first...

Nicholas.C

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2008
That was my question. I hate to say this, but if it was from China, it's quite possible they are knock-offs...

Edit: Just saw your post. That is NOT the iPhone!!

You think I know? It's a cect p168..

cmsv1287

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2008
china...how?

Yep its real. I know about the iphone clone I have one of those too.. I use it as my mp3 player.

My dad does a lot of business over there. China is where the iPhone is made.

Here are some pictures.

Like I said its real but I am just having problems getting it jail broken.

Can anyone help me with the issues I have outlined in posts above

Attachments

• Photo 11.jpg
    Photo 11.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 909
  • Photo 10.jpg
    Photo 10.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 1,111

tico24

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2007
Eastleigh, UK
Yep its real. I know about the iphone clone I have one of those too.. I use it as my mp3 player.

My dad does a lot of business over there. China is where the iPhone is made.

Here are some pictures.

Like I said its real but I am just having problems getting it jail broken.

Can anyone help me with the issues I have outlined in posts above

I can't really offer much help...but your screen looks funny.
Whats the icon 2nd in from the left on the second row?
It also doesn't look like there's room for another row of icons at the bottom (as we're looking at it in the image)...looks a bit odd...doesn't look like the maps icon.

Try and hold the home button and the power button together...if it is a genuine iphone, that should force the phone to prompt for a connection to itunes.

edt: actually....that CAN'T be a genuine iPhone. If you can't get it to sync with a pc/mac, then you should just see the 'connect to itunes to activate' screen. You wouldn't be able to see anything else. Sorry to say, you've been had.

cmsv1287

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2008
ok i have a question now

Does anyone have or have seen an iphone that connects via a port that looks like this:

The only ones I have seen connect via what looks like an ipod connector

Attachments

• Photo 12.jpg
    Photo 12.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 575

cmsv1287

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2008
Also. If you were having issues jailbreaking them you wouldnt be able to see the home screen yet.

That is what someone else said. They said until it is unlocked with a sim in it, the phone will have 0 functionality

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
ok i have a question now

Does anyone have or have seen an iphone that connects via a port that looks like this:

The only ones I have seen connect via what looks like an ipod connector

apple does not sell any ipod device that uses a 4 pin USB connection which is what that is

J

jmadlena

EDIT: Others beat me to it.

But I do second the "fake iPhone" sentiment.

tico24

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2007
Eastleigh, UK
That said. Its one of the best fake iphones i've ever seen. Good matching packaging...its just the dock connector and that one dodgy icon giving it away.

J

jmadlena

Are you sure, can anyone else verify this looks identical with everything else the same?

There are several things that give it away.

1. No iPod connector on the bottom - the biggest give away

2. Screen bezel is too high

3. You wouldn't be able to see the home screen if you haven't activated it

Sorry, it is 100% fake. No question about it.

cmsv1287

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2008
well since this post got some action now i will provide some more pictures.

The touch screen is perfect on it with the slider working. And the penguin icon is a chinese game.

When you flip the phone on its side the screen shifts like a real iphone

Can someone tell me what this type of connector is called? it is the same as a blackberry one but smaller

Attachments

• Photo 13.jpg
    Photo 13.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 463
  • Photo 15.jpg
    Photo 15.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 482

cmsv1287

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2008
Well i have to say I am quite frustrated now that I have spent so much time on it.... It seems to be too good of a knockoff for me or my dad to tell.

Thanks

auggie2k

Cancelled
May 16, 2008
well since this post got some action now i will provide some more pictures.

The touch screen is perfect on it with the slider working. And the penguin icon is a chinese game.

When you flip the phone on its side the screen shifts like a real iphone

Can someone tell me what this type of connector is called? it is the same as a blackberry one but smaller

That would be a common Camera USB cable, see the image below...

CB-USB-AAMM.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.