Macbook 13 rumors

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by abercrombie, Aug 29, 2018.

1. abercrombie macrumors regular

abercrombie

Was doing research on buying a Macbook 12 refresh this year when I came upon a possible Macbook 13?

"There have been rumours that Apple's gearing up to launch a new 13in MacBook soon. The rumours seem to be based on some pretty trustworthy sources, so it seems that this new Mac laptop is definitely in the pipeline. What isn't so clear is whether this is an update to the MacBook Air (which many had expected to be discontinued) or a new MacBook to sit alongside the 12in model."

https://www.macworld.co.uk/news/mac/new-macbook-2018-3420655/

Thoughts?

2. lambertjohn macrumors 6502a

I think a 13" MacBook would be cool, same form factor as the 12" but with a better keyboard, more ports and a faster CPU. We'll know soon enough...

3. Dave245 macrumors 604

Dave245

Mark Gurman has confirmed that it will be a new MacBook Air he stated “Get ready for a Retina MacBook Air with thinner bezels” so my guess is we will see an updated Air for 2018. Hopefully we will know soon enough.

4. BODYBUILDERPAUL macrumors 65816

I don't think that we'll see anything this year. And today Mojave was released. Surely they'd of kept that release for the launch of a new MacBook if they were going to do it.

There's no way that Apple would just 'stick' a new Retina screen in a MacBook Air. That's not their style. USB is out, the old keyboard is out, the charging port is out. If they kept those in an entry level thing, it would go against their roadmap and ethos. In reality, the Air needs to be binned. The name has to go. Heck, it's almost 4 years since the MacBook was launched and this old dinosaur is still around looking so old when placed next to the new slim, designs.

We've seen ZERO leaks, no parts. Doesn't make sense. March 2019 we may see a complete new MacBook as it'll be 4 years old. Expect an entry level basic 128GB model to fit that under 999. Not much that you can do with 128GB though is there unless you uses cloud services, Apple Pages and stream your music & films I guess.

5. Dave245, Sep 24, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2018

Dave245 macrumors 604

Dave245

No not necessarily they have announced MacOS updates in the past and released Macs at October events. The rumoured "Budget Mac" is still said to be this year by both Ming Chi Kuo and Mark Gurman, as a point of reference Kuo has been very much correct about a number of things, he said there would be 3 new iPhones this year, even giving the screen sizes, he also gave details about the Apple Watch having a bigger screen and the ECG feature, he has also predicted a new iPad Pro redesign and the budget Macbook which he claims is going to get Touch ID but not the Touch Bar (which is the most expensive feature so that makes sense).

At this point i'd be surprised if we didn't get Mac updates next month, apart from the MacBook Pros in July there have been no updates to the Mac line up and it's starting to get silly for Apple. They can't just leave the Mac to do nothing, there are competitors out there that are gaining ground BIG time, like it or not Microsoft are innovating and they are doing some very interesting things with the Surface, so much so that if Apple don't pull their finger out at an event next month i'm strongly considering the Surface Pro to not only replace my dead 2011 Macbook Pro but also my iPad Pro 2017, a tablet that can replace a laptop is VERY tempting.

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/09/10/kuo-september-2018-predictions/

6. catlv, Sep 24, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2018

catlv macrumors member

catlv

13" screen on the 12" MB form-factor? I'll take that in a heartbeat!

More ports don't matter to me (and I'm guessing, to more and more users) as I've moved most, if not all of my work files to the Cloud. Can always have Internet, for as long as I have my phone.

7. CPL593H macrumors member

Do you think they'll drop the nTB MBP? With two ports and the second gen keyboard still it seems the odd one out from the MBP lineup.

Simplified lineup?
    MB12
    MBA13
    MBP TB 13
    MBP TB 15

Probably beating a dead horse saying the 12 should be "Air" being the lightest by a pound...

8. Dave245 macrumors 604

Dave245

I think it’s possible considering Apple didn’t update it when the other MacBook Pro’s got the update earlier this year.

I think it makes sense to have:

MacBook Air new 13” retina disaply thinner bezels

12” MacBook

MacBook Pro 13” and 15”

The only thing that’s throwing a curveball on this is Ming Chi Kuo in his report states that the new cheaper MacBook will get Touch ID (but not Touch Bar) does that mean they add it to the Air or is this machine a new version of the MacBook that’s updated with a 13” screen and a little bigger to accommodate Touch ID? The line up would then go:

MacBook 13” with Touch ID
    MacBook Pro 13” and 15”

They then remove the Air from the lineup.

9. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

My prediction has been that they will release a 13" Retina MacBook (not an Air), and then they would drop the price of the 12" Retina MacBook to US$999 with a new cut down 128 GB model. The Air would then just get discontinued.

So, unless they surprise me and release an ARM Apple A12 Bionic based 13" MacBook, all the MacBooks would remain dual-core Intel Y series.

10. CPL593H macrumors member

A 13" screen with Touch ID in the 12" form factor would not be cheaper model IMHO. They need some basic vanilla model with no frills to be the "budget" model. Whether that is the new 13 or a price dropped 12, I'm not sure, but I selfishly hope the 12 does as that's likely to be my new laptop. I can't see them giving up the 12 inch model as it seems to be a point of pride as far as "how small can it go?".

11. Dave245 macrumors 604

Dave245

The only reason I say Touch ID is because Ming Chi Kuo has said it in his latest report, I would not of thought it myself but he is very reliable. He was right about the phones this year, he’s right about the Series 4 Apple Watch, he will probably be right about the iPads and Mac’s as well.

In the report he says this “The new low-price MacBook may replace the position of the current 12" MacBook. We expect this new model to support the Touch ID but it will not have the Touch Bar. Everwin Precision is the main beneficiary because it is the first time this company will enter the Mac casing supply chain and its shipments account for 20% of the new MacBook model's D parts.” - https://www.macrumors.com/2018/09/10/kuo-september-2018-predictions/

If it’s replacing the 12” MacBook maybe it will remain at the same price but with a 13” display and Touch ID, that may be possible for the current price tag. If that’s the case then count me in, a 13” screen would be great especially if the bezels are reduced which was rumoured by Mark Gurman.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 26, 2018 ---
    According to Ming Chi Kuo’s latest report it will replace the 12” MacBook, maybe that’s why they haven’t updated them? It could replace it and keep the same price tag but with a 13” screen and Touch ID.

12. BODYBUILDERPAUL macrumors 65816

Oh Dave245 if you are thinking of a Surface then you really don't appreciate the Mac and its OS and everything that makes it so different than the conformist mainstream. Seriously, a Windows computer?

Don't believe all of these very sketchy MacBook rumours until you see it for real! This speculation is just crazy and you guys are really wasting your life on it.

13. Dave245 macrumors 604

Dave245

I appreciate the Mac and MacOS, Mojave is a great OS (I love Dark Mode, Stacks and Continuity Camera) but I do have some serious criticism of Apple when it comes to the Mac. Apple just doesn’t seem to be pushing it forward, it’s like they are letting the Mac stand still.

As much as I’m an Apple fan, take a look at Microsoft and what they are doing with the Surface, that’s something that I’d of expected Apple to be doing, innovation and a niche market. The iPad Pro is a great tablet BUT it can’t be a laptop, Apple are saying that people should buy both a tablet and a laptop while Microsoft are offering a laptop replacement in a tablet form factor in the Surface Pro.

Seriously try the Surface Pro Keyboard and tell me it’s not better than the Apple Smart Keyboard for the iPad Pro, I tried it in store and as much as it pained me I have to admit that the Surface Keyboard is better.

I get what you’re saying about don’t believe until you see it and I don’t 100% but when it comes to Ming Chi Kuo it’s hard to argue against his track record, just look at his record for this year, he said the Apple Watch Series 4 would have more screen, all models would have a ceramic back and come with ECG, he was right on that, he said there would be 3 iPhones even giving the screen sizes, he was right, he even predicted that the XR would be delayed until October which is correct. Even tho nothing is 100% until Apple announce it I have no reason to doubt him at this point.

14. fokmik macrumors 68040

Its clear you didn't had a surface product...since you praise those products...
    I had the surface pro and the surface book ....i NEVER used them in tablet mode...only maybe for curiosity
    And if you use them in laptop mode...then why not buy a proper laptop with a proper hinge?
    Apple was right to stick with the original idea that the trackpad is your "touch input" for the OS and not the display
    I hope macOS will only be available for touch screen ONLY if they really want to go without a mechanical keyboard..so like 2 displays, but even so they can use an iOS sub soft to run the lower screen and still keep macOS as it is

15. Dave245 macrumors 604

Dave245

I’ve never had a Surface product, I’ve been using Mac’s, iPhones and iPads since 2011, my point is Microsoft are innovating and at least trying new things, don’t get me wrong I still love the Mac but is the iPad Pro really the full laptop replacement that people want it to be? Without a full OS I’m not sure it ever will be.

My point isn’t about “just buying a laptop” what Apple are saying is that people can replace their computers with the iPad Pro or buy both, in fact Craig from Apple said exactly that with this quote:

Craig Federighi: We all certainly use both, so we’re really focused on making them work well together, because we think in many tasks, that’s actually the best solution. So all of our customers should feel free to buy multiple products [laughter]. We encourage that.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/techcr...n-ternus-on-the-state-of-apples-pro-macs/amp/

My overall point is yes I’m an Apple guy, yes I love the Mac BUT that doesn’t stop me from appreciating other products or ideas, Apple hasn’t moved the Mac forward very much at all and the iPad Pro isn’t moving all that much either, the iPad Pro for this year will be getting a redesign and internal updates but how does that move it forward as laptop replacement?

The keyboard on the Surface Pro is much better than the AKS for the iPad Pro, it also offers mouse support while the ASK doesn’t. I’m not saying this lightly i own and use an iPad Pro 2017, I own and use an iMac and up until it died a few weeks ago I was using a 2011 MacBook Pro.

16. fokmik, Sep 26, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2018

fokmik macrumors 68040

Ok, im 100% agree with the term "trying new things" ; innovating for me is something big and new, that helps the masses. So for me is a big no in "innovation"....Its like saying that samsung tab view is a innovating thing just because no one tried to make a 18" tablet :)

Of course, when you appreciate something try it and see for yourself...i was like you, see at the event, looking good the first surface pro, first surface book....i was like a 10 year old, wanted those things...but after i bought them and used them, i started to appreciate Apple stick with the basics....surface are a mess, even Microsoft marketing is a mess :)
    "Surface pro, the surface that replace your laptop" ? then they make a surface book...the ultimate laptop, then they make a proper laptop the surface laptop with alcantara, so surface pro the surface that replace your surface book or surface laptop? ....I've moved on :)
    Is a mess, i prefer and love to run macOS and windows on my macs...So you are good where are you now with Apple :) you didn't missed any true innovation
    --- Post Merged, Sep 26, 2018 ---
    "The keyboard on the Surface Pro is much better than the AKS for the iPad Pro, it also offers mouse support while the ASK doesn’t"

First, the keyboard is better at typing i think you mean because in any other regards is not..
    AKS i hope you mean the apple smart keyboard for ipad right ? this keyboard is slim, light, and you use it much closer to your ipad display than the smart cover...so its easier to you both touch and type
    For the second thing...mouse support, agree that a plus..but on ipad you don't need mouse just maybe for drawing? where for that you have the best pencil support

17. Dave245 macrumors 604

Dave245

I get what you’re saying and I probably will end up sticking with the Mac, I do like the Mac and MacOS Mojave is really good, I just want Apple to give the Mac more attention. By innovation I mean Microsoft have tried new things with the Surface line, I’m not a Windows fan that’s the main reason why I haven’t tried a Surface device before now. We will have to see what happens but I’m hoping Apple update the Mac line at an event alongside the new iPad Pros next month.

The thing is by “replace you’re laptop” I mean something that I can do everything on, like the Surface seems to do. At the moment I have a 2017 iPad Pro that’s brilliant for drawing and note taking (along with Apple Pencil) however when I need to do work, writing for hours at a time I have to use my iMac 2012 (at the moment ie ever since my 2011 MacBook Pro died) but wouldn’t it be great for Apple to make a device where people like myself to could everything on ONE device.

Don’t get me wrong I love the iPad Pro, it’s great for drawing, note taking, multitasking and so on but as for serious work I don’t think it’s there yet. Fingers crossed Apple announce updates to the Mac line up next month.

18. borgusio macrumors regular

borgusio

I’d love to see a MB Pro 12” with thunderbolt.

19. irontiger82 macrumors member

Good valid points. I still see Apple to have a clear separation between the 2 than combining, but again there are meshing together bit b bit.

We will see by the end of the month.

20. EugW macrumors 603

EugW

I've love to see a MB non-Pro 12" with Thunderbolt, because a Mac shouldn't need to be a Pro to have TB.

21. Harmonious Zen macrumors 6502a

If you're holding out for a 13" MacBook, wouldn't hold your breath. Apparently the rumors indicate that it's supposed to be a budget option. So it very well could be a 13" MacBook Air with a Retina Display, but that means it'll be gimped in some way. I love my MacBook, but if it had any less power, I wouldn't be able to use it. Just waiting for the 8th generation Intel chips before I upgrade.

22. fokmik macrumors 68040

maybe, maybe not...maybe when the 13" comes, the 12" MB will become the 999$ macbook with 128 SSD
    Apple cannot make a sub 1000$ with an current SSD performance, 13" retina display and current 7th or 8th gen 4.5W cpu
    Lets hope APple put also the latest BT 5.0 into them

23. catlv macrumors member

catlv

Same here. Just waiting for a chip refresh, and not expecting more than that at this point. No point in waiting/hoping for a 13” MB, as I need a laptop by January.

24. fokmik macrumors 68040

“No point in waiting/hoping for a 13” MB, as I need a laptop by January.”
    Since you need it by January, it is a point in waiting for at least beginning of next month. By then we will know more

25. zblomstrom macrumors newbie

I'd love a 15" MB but I know that will never happen. I currently have a 15" MacBook Pro which is overkill specs wise for what I do on a daily basis. However, that's what I've stuck with because I like the bigger screen size.