macbook(2.4) or dell studio xps (13)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ahmad123456789, Jan 8, 2009.

1. ahmad123456789 macrumors member

i was completely secured of buying the macbook... but today when i was browsing the net i saw the new dell laptops. the only thing i care is what is the difference between the 9500 and 9400. which one is better... which one outpermors or performs better...

please answerr....
    i want everyones opinion...

also if there are other important reasons which one of them is better than the other... please just let me know...:apple:

2. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

What is the intended use.

My feelings are on a 13.3 screen you are probablynot a serious gamer or going to do a lot of intense graphic work. I maybe wrong tho.

I don't think you will see all that much difference.

I use primarily dells at home and like them.
    The new dells are very very nice.

the macs are also very nice.

Whenever I purchase a new dell I got to www.gotapex.com they usually ahve some decent dell coupons. off on the right hand side there is a box and you can scroll down andfind the apple store and see if the have any coupons there too.

3. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

edit...
    I doubt it would be a real world noticeable difference.

4. JLatte macrumors 6502

Step 1) Find a quarter
    Step 2) Heads is win, tails is lose
    Step 3) Flip it
    Step 4) ???
    Step 5) Profit

Hope this helps.

5. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

Try a Dell forum...........

6. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Seriously.

OP do you really expect people in an APPLE forum to know anything, or care about, a Dell ninetywhateverhundred?

7. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

You should definitely get a Mac, its the best this, that , and the other thing. C'mon dude what do you expect people on a MAC site to tell you to get a Dell?

8. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

I posted the exact same thing before editing my post! haha! But i thought, No I'll be nice..

9. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

I think you know me by now...........

10. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

I had to google one to see how awful they were...........Its made of Leather !!!!!!!!

11. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I just don't care much for the shape of ANY PC laptop anymore, after buying the new Alu. They are so slim and flat, I totally love it. Plus the OS, and the trackpad... on and on.

12. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Trackpad! YES!
    Trying to use ANY PC 'track pad' is a joke after having the new MacBook!

13. ahmad123456789 thread starter macrumors member

i am not asking about the dell i want to know which graphics card is better... and if someones knows to give his opinion

14. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

As I stated in my original post I doubt you will see a real world difference. It might be different on paper but not to your eye.

15. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

I'm no expert on internal gubbons but mathematics says if they're in the same family of processors (for example the ExtremoChip 1200 and ExtremoChip 1300 would be the same family whereas the MegaChip 3800 would not) the 9500 would be slightly better than the 9400. It may be a massive improvement, or it may not, I'd have a look at the technical specifications of each and see which works out 1) most efficient and 2) most compatible.

Its all very well having better graphics but not if the firmware is stupid.

*cough*ATI*cough*

16. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

FWIW, I was playing CS:S last night in Vista with every detail maxed out at 1280x800 with 2xAA, and it was absolutely buttery smooth. What games are you trying to play?

17. mattcube64 macrumors 65816

mattcube64

Any chance you play TF2? Can you tell me how it runs at that res with everything high, and 2x AA?

I would assume it'd be similar to CSS, but I know TF2 is a tad more demanding, especially in 32 player servers with a lot of pyros...

EDIT: And any chance you have Fallout 3? ;p

18. morrisman1 macrumors 6502

i agree completely, i bought a very very nice mouse to use with my old macbook but that sits in the cupboard now. the glass trackpad is an absolute dream to use now that i am used to it and my finger strength has built up from clicking it. i hate a standard trackpad so much now! even the old macbook one is pathetic in comparison and back when that came out it was way ahead of the competition

19. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

20. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

Ooh see now this is why I should have used Google... I feel dumb now :rolleyes:

21. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

What are you going to be doing with the computer the most? Macbook is better for pretty much everything except for gaming. The Dell XPS 1340 can use both the Nvidia 9400M integrated chip and the Nvidia 9500 discrete graphics chip together in SLI mode. That should pretty much slaughter the graphics performance of the Macbook in all games since it's two graphics cards versus one. But by how much? We'd have to wait for reviews to see the performance difference.

22. Buskape macrumors 6502

Buskape

If you want design, build quality, sturdy laptop that will last you long, go for the MacBook
    The current 9400m is fine for light gaming, steam gaming etc.. while the 9500 won't be much better anyway.

+ the MacBook comes with Os X Leopard, which is a great advantage over the Dell..

If you want a generic laptop which has very slightly better performence for games, that comes with Windows Vista, then go for the Dell.

If you go for Apple, you won't regret it, while if you go for Dell, you might regret it..

23. eneisch macrumors 6502a

I have a 2.4 Aluminum MacBook that I got in October and my sister has a 13.3-inch Dell XPS that she got last spring. Prior to getting my Mac I was a PC guy all the way. My observations:

1. XPS is a nice machine, but the aluminum of the MacBook is nicer and feels more solid.
    2. Trackpad on MacBook is much better than Dell.
    3. My sister had issues with Vista out of the box including BSOD. The virus software that came pre-installed was not even fuly compatible with Vista and caused issues. I also had alot of issues trying to upgrade Vista to the latest service pack and still have not resolved it for her.
    4. Dell came with a lot of crapware installed on it that slowed down the system.
    5. OS X has been great for me with no crashing at all to date.

Overall I think that the experience with the MacBook has been superior. I cannot comment on speed differences as I have not run them side by side. I also have not compared the screens side by side, but the Dell screen is very nice and I think runs at higher resolutions.

Just my two cents.

24. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

The real question is can you live with yourself saying "im a pc"

epic fail.

but seriously Dell fans like to come here and boast how amazing Dell is all the time which is why Dell is going bust. In your case as the computers are so similar in terms of hardware this is really another Windows Vista vs. Mac OS X debate which noone can answer, its like asking who made the universe.

25. ahmad123456789 thread starter macrumors member

someone said the dell can use both of them... that is not true because you need to select which one to include in the 13.3 model..

anyone else