Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is working on the successor to the M1 chip, expected to be called the M2, and multiple rumors have already suggested that these chips are going to be used in machines that include a refreshed MacBook Air and a new version of the 13-inch MacBook Pro.

macbook-air-rounded-mock-purple.jpg

A new report today from 9to5Mac once again reiterates these rumors, with the site claiming that Apple will introduce a MacBook Air and a 13-inch MacBook Pro with M2 chip later this year. Notably, 9to5Mac says that Apple analyst Ming Chi Kuo's recent prediction that the next-generation MacBook Air will use either the M1 or an updated version of it is incorrect.
While analyst Ming-Chi Kuo believes that the new MacBook Air will have an updated M1 chip, our reliable sources have told us that the machine is being developed with the new M2 chip.

Codenamed J413, the next generation MacBook Air is expected to be released in a single version featuring M2.
As for the 13-inch MacBook Pro, 9to5Mac claims that Apple could drop the "Pro" labeling, referring to the new machine as just "MacBook" as it has done in the past.

We've already heard plenty about the next-generation versions of the MacBook Air and 13-inch MacBook Pro from sources like Bloomberg's Mark Gurman, who has confirmed that the new MacBook Air will see a complete redesign. Gurman has also provided details on the M2 chip, which is expected to feature the same 8-core CPU as the M1, but with 9 and 10-core GPU options.

There is no word on a release date as of yet, but M2 machines are likely to come out in the later months of the year.

Article Link: MacBook Air and 'MacBook' With M2 Chips Slated for Launch Later This Year

Reactions: Andrewtking

BWhaler

macrumors 68040
Jan 8, 2003
I'm guessing the rumor mill echo chamber is dead wrong on M2 in 2022.

I would also guess there are zero first party sources on these rumors. Just people looking at historical upgrade cycles and adding 1 to M1 and saying it's coming. Pure conjecture.

(P.S. -- Thinking Apple is going to put the next generation chip in the low end Pro machine before the higher end versions, and Osborning their high-margin line is simply stupid. It's like they aren't even trying anymore.)

dj458

Suspended
Mar 10, 2022
I am desperately need a new MacBook Air, I don't want to buy the current MacBook Air, but the new gen MacBook Air needs to wait until September or later! I am refresh Macrumors.com every few minutes for the new MacBook Air news!

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Called it.
Given that the old MBP design is almost 6 years old, it’s much cheaper to produce at this point.
If they remove the Touch Bar, they can drop down the price even more.
So my prediction is that the thicker, heavier, silver and gray, thick bezeled MacBook will slot in at that $999 price point, replacing the old MacBook Air.
Than the new MacBook Air which is thinner, lighter, colorful, with thinner bezels and a notch will be priced at $1299.
So it would literally mirror the iPad lineup with the obvious exception of the mini.
iPad/MacBook: cheapest, thicker, heavier, silver and gray only, LCD display, thick bezels.
iPad Air/MacBook Air: thin, light, colorful, midrange.
iPad Pro/MacBook Pro: top-of-the-line, best CPU, mini LED, 120 Hz

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016

I would also guess there are zero first party sources on these rumors. Just people looking at historical upgrade cycles and adding 1 to M1 and saying it's coming. Pure conjecture.
Why am I seeing this so many times?
Apple updates the iPhone CPU, the lowest end CPU, every year.
It makes sense that their lowest end Mac chip would follow a similar trajectory.
Why on earth would they brag about switching to new silicon, how it would stop the product line stagnation that happened under Intel… and then go three years without updating the CPU on their most popular Mac.
That makes absolutely no sense.
According to Apple at their event just two days ago, the ultra is the last processor in the M1 Family.
Now we move on to M2, starting with their lowest end chip just like they did with M1.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
Great! Just in time for the back to school season. Apple execs have such knack for timing their product launches. /s

Hopefully this rumor is false and these will be announced and ship by late summer, the latest.

BanjoDudeAhoy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2020
Called it.
Given that the old MBP design is almost 6 years old, it’s much cheaper to produce at this point.
If they remove the Touch Bar, they can drop down the price even more.
So my prediction is that the thicker, heavier, silver and gray, thick bezeled MacBook will slot in at that $999 price point, replacing the old MacBook Air.
Than the new MacBook Air which is thinner, lighter, colorful, with thinner bezels and a notch will be priced at $1299.
So it would literally mirror the iPad lineup with the obvious exception of the mini.
iPad/MacBook: cheapest, thicker, heavier, silver and gray only, LCD display, thick bezels.
iPad Air/MacBook Air: thin, light, colorful, midrange.
iPad Pro/MacBook Pro: top-of-the-line, best CPU, mini LED, 120 Hz
While I don’t like the idea of the MacBook Air becoming more expensive (because I want one but I don’t want to spend more money than the current gen costs) I too think this makes sense.

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009

(P.S. -- Thinking Apple is going to put the next generation chip in the low end Pro machine before the higher end versions, and Osborning their high-margin line is simply stupid. It's like they aren't even trying anymore.)

The M2 will be developed before the M2 Pro, and devices that use the base M2 will be updated before devices that use an M2 Pro/Max/Ultra. That's kind of just how chip development works. An M2 isn't going to outperform an M1 Pro at multithreaded CPU or video workloads anyway. If someone bought a 14/16" MBP, a 13" M2 powered MBP won't be an upgrade for them... Will the M2 come in 2022? I'd bet on yes honestly. If you think it's not coming, you're basically betting on Apple releasing no new Macs for the rest of the year (outside of that weird rumor of a slightly updated M1 in an Air).

James Godfrey

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2011
To be honest I expect the MacBook to be the current Air design with M2 at $999 and the redesigned MacBook Air with M2 will replace the current entry level Pro at $1299, that will then be the official death of the Touch Bar IMO… and the Mac line up will be also line up with the iPads…

MacBook having a dated design and the old tech, similar to the iPad

MacBook Air getting a design refresh, having features trickled down from the MacBook Pro, similar to the iPad Air.

MacBook Pro coming in two size options with all the bells and whistles similar to the iPad Pro.

However there will also be a price gap in the line up for a 15” MacBook Air also… maybe at $1599… but that will likely come far later down the line… probably with M3…

Prpolo

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2011

Apple is working on the successor to the M1 chip, expected to be called the M2, and multiple rumors have already suggested that these chips are going to be used in machines that include a refreshed MacBook Air and a new version of the 13-inch MacBook Pro.

macbook-air-rounded-mock-purple.jpg

A new report today from 9to5Mac once again reiterates these rumors, with the site claiming that Apple will introduce a MacBook Air and a 13-inch MacBook Pro with M2 chip later this year. Notably, 9to5Mac says that Apple analyst Ming Chi Kuo's recent prediction that the next-generation MacBook Air will use either the M1 or an updated version of it is incorrect.

As for the 13-inch MacBook Pro, 9to5Mac claims that Apple could drop the "Pro" labeling, referring to the new machine as just "MacBook" as it has done in the past.

We've already heard plenty about the next-generation versions of the MacBook Air and 13-inch MacBook Pro from sources like Bloomberg's Mark Gurman, who has confirmed that the new MacBook Air will see a complete redesign. Gurman has also provided details on the M2 chip, which is expected to feature the same 8-core CPU as the M1, but with 9 and 10-core GPU options.

There is no word on a release date as of yet, but M2 machines are likely to come out in the later months of the year.

Article Link: MacBook Air and 'MacBook' With M2 Chips Slated for Launch Later This Year
I broke down and bought the current base MacBook Air and I couldn’t be happier. If the rumors of the new colors are true, m2 or no m2, it’s a no go from me.

Reactions: Hairball

reyesmac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Central Texas
The low end needs to be able to beat all the iPads at everything they do or at least be as equally capable as an iPad Pro since they use the same chips. But that also means that everyone not giving Apple $2,000 or more for a system is capped at iPad speeds only. I know the M2 will end up in an iPad. More efficient chips are the end goal specifically so they can be used on all the low end products without fans.

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
Not gonna happen. More size = more money, and Apple is always going to bundle more size with more performance for a bigger price tag. Period.

Large and cheap aren't happening. Get used to it.
But what about the rumors of the iPhone 14 Max? A larger cheaper phone (that is, you won’t have to buy the “Pro” version to get the larger size).

Now I would agree that there is more demand for a larger phone than a larger laptop, but this could break the pattern of “large = Pro only”.

Reactions: Captain Trips

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
A MacBook is worse than a MacBook Air. How does that make any sense?
The first gen Macbook Air performed worse than the Macbook of the time, but it was thinner (and more expensive). After that Macbook was discontinued, the Air became the budget brand that people kept buying. The updated 12" Macbook was thinner (performed worse and was more expensive) than the Air, so it took on the exact spot in the lineup that original Air filled. The last Intel Macbook Air used the same processor that the 12" Macbook would have used if it wasn't discontinued (it went to a lower TDP class of Intel chip, the same one the Macbook was using). Even today, the backend of the Air is thicker that the 13" MBP.

The Air name hasn't had a consistent meaning or spot in Apple's lineup since just after Steve Jobs pulled it out of an envelope. Apple keeps using it because people keep buying things called "Air."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.