Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple plans to refresh its MacBook Air lineup with faster processors in September, according to IHS Markit analyst Jeff Lin's latest Emerging PC Market Tracker report, published Thursday and shared by Forbes:
Apple is also expected to update the 13.3-inch MacBook Pro and Retina MacBook Air with the new MacOS Catalina and new processors in September, according to Lin.
Forbes also cites Lin as saying the 13-inch MacBook Pro receiving a processor refresh in September as well, which likely refers to the base model without the Touch Bar, dubbed the "MacBook Escape" for its physical Esc key. The 13-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar just received a processor refresh in May.

macbook_air_2018_roundup_header-800x283.jpg

The MacBook Air was last updated in October 2018, when it received a long-awaited Retina display, 8th-generation Intel Core processors, butterfly keyboard, larger trackpad, Touch ID, Thunderbolt 3 ports, new color options, and more.

Apple rarely refreshes any Macs in September, often waiting for October instead, but these would be fall updates either way. IHS has close ties to Apple's supply chain, having accurately revealed the original 10.5-inch iPad Pro's resolution nearly four months in advance and LTPO on the Apple Watch.

Lin also believes that Apple plans to release the rumored 16-inch MacBook Pro in September. Again, this could end up being October too, but it sounds increasingly likely that the 16-inch MacBook Pro is coming this year.

Article Link: MacBook Air and Possibly 13-Inch MacBook Pro Without Touch Bar Said to Receive Processor Refresh in the Fall

Last edited:

grad

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2014
A non-touch bar 13" macbook pro (or air) with 32GB RAM and a quad core CPU would be my next laptop, I will just get rid of my 2018 MBP 15" 6core. Now, if only they would also put back the old scissors keyboard, a matte screen and user replaceable NVME and RAM ...

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
This is what I was worried about. I just got a 13 TB MBP last Friday, even though I don't like the TB, just because of the silent keyboard. Now we hear a rumor that the nTB is being updated in September. It'll be an almost 4 month wait to get one from now. Lazy me just wants to live with the TB.

OTOH, if the the 13 TB MBP is updated with 2400 MHz RAM, I will be upset!

Last edited:
Reactions: theapplehead

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
No love for the 12" MacBook? :(
I still don’t understand what the point of having both the MB and MBA is now, especially since they haven’t updated the former.

The only way to justify it going forward is to treat it as a testbed for Apple’s own processors being used in the fanless MB. Make it an ultra sleek, significantly higher battery life version of the previous gen while at the same time laying down the groundwork for transitioning to full on Catalyst apps and basic x86 emulation. (The people buying this A-series MB aren’t going to be running advanced x86 apps anyway.)

chucker23n1

macrumors G3
Dec 7, 2014
Seems odd to me that they'd keep the model without Touch Bar around. It has a confusing place in the line-up.

It'll be interesting to see whether these will be Whiskey Lake/Amber Lake/Comet Lake (still Skylake-based) or Ice Lake, in which case we should see a nice boost. There doesn't appear to be a new -Y generation other than Ice Lake.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.