MacBook Air humidity?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Syndawg, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Syndawg macrumors newbie

Syndawg

Herro! I know these kinds of questions have been asked countless times, but I can't find anything exactly for my issue. I had my computer in my bathroom (yes, mistake #1 - spare me the hate) and it was quite humid in there cos the bathtub was filled and all. I might have touched the computer with slightly wet hands, but only minimal amounts of water can have gotten on the computer. Anyway, I was trying to use computer and it froze so I closed it to see if it helped. Once I opened again it was black and nothing happened when I tried to turn it on (mind you, I didn't think it could be water damage! I know u don't do that in case u spill a glass of water on it). The light comes on when I connect to charger (again, didn't think it was water damage), but except from that nothing happens. Tried to open the back, but 4 of the 10 screws are so hardly screwed in there I had no way of getting them out (I only managed to strip the screws - yay!).

Anyone experienced this before? Will it turn on again? Let the miniscule water dry? I'm confused and a little annoyed!

Peace.

2. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

If you press the Caps Lock key, does it light up? Does the keyboard backlight work? How long has it been since you removed the computer from the bathroom?

Have you tried to hold the power button for an extended period, to see if it will restart?

If that doesn't work, try to reset the SMC - https://support.apple.com/HT201295

Do NOT try to open the computer. Once you had it open, what do you think you could accomplish?

3. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Humidity is water. If it's a moisture issue then always cut power until the device is fully dry. Do not power on a device if you suspect moisture to be a problem as it can cause more damage.

4. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

Sounds a lot like water damage. I don't know what you define as "humidity", but I keep my studio around 40-50% humidity in the winter since I have a vintage acoustic guitar on a stand. In the summer, even with the airconditioning on, humidity gets even higher. Never any problems with my MBA for the past 5 years.

But a steamy bathroom could result in water droplets getting inside the computer.

5. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

I live on the Equator. It is the rainy season here. Humidity is around 90% on cloudy days. My MBA runs everyday, 12-18 hours will no issues. MBA is almost 3 years old also.

Sounds more humidity is your problem.

6. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

The problem with humidity tends to be condensation. Vapor and droplets become drips and drops. Per the MBA's tech specs:
    If you bring a cold object with a lot of metal components into a hot, humid environment, beads of moisture are likely to form, quite quickly.

7. Argielo macrumors newbie

Hi Syndawg, almost the same thing happened to me. When I opened my macbook, i noticed that moisture is present in the screen and keyboard. I just wiped it off then used it after a while. It opened the first time but noticed that the keyboard is not functioning well. So I restarted it but it didn't work. Tried to clear SMC but this time, it didn't open at all. Were you able to fix your machine? What did you do? Someone please help. Thanks.

Other info: I just upgraded to Sierra from El. Capitan. Bit of a late adopter.

8. Dszenczy macrumors newbie

I have this same issue. Just moved to a house close to the beach, and the humidity and salt air are definitely the cause. Every time I bring the MacBook into the Apple store it starts working again because of the AC and low humidity.They checked it out and everything hardware is perfectly fine with no water damage whatsoever. It is a shame Apple has no resolution and are not even aware of this issue. My only option is to buy a new laptop and hope the newer MacBooks don’t have this issue.