MacBook Air Updated With True Tone Display and Lower $1,099 Starting Price

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 9, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today announced that it has updated the MacBook Air with a True Tone display and lowered its starting price from $1,199 to $1,099 in the United States, or $999 for qualifying students through Apple's education store.

[​IMG]

True Tone automatically adjusts the white balance of the MacBook Air's display to match the color temperature of the light around you to provide a more natural viewing experience. The feature is similar to Night Shift, but more dynamic, continuously adapting to the surrounding environment.

This is the first update to the MacBook Air since it was radically redesigned in October 2018 with a Retina display, faster 8th-generation Intel Core processors, butterfly keyboard, larger trackpad, Touch ID, two Thunderbolt 3 ports, Apple T2 chip with Hey Siri support, louder speakers, and more.

$1,099 continues to get you a 1.6GHz dual-core Core i5 processor, 8GB of RAM, a 128GB SSD, and Intel UHD Graphics 617.

Alongside today's update and price drop, Apple has also discontinued the 2017 MacBook Air, which it had continued to sell for $999 following the introduction of the revamped MacBook Air last October.

The entry-level 13-inch MacBook Pro was also refreshed today with the latest 8th-generation Intel Core quad-core processors for up to two times faster performance. The notebook now also features the Touch Bar, Touch ID, True Tone, and the Apple T2 chip. Pricing starts at $1,299, or $1,199 for qualifying students.

The 2019 MacBook Air is available to order now.

Article Link: MacBook Air Updated With True Tone Display and Lower $1,099 Starting Price

2. oldmacs macrumors 601

oldmacs

Well theres the old MacBook Air gone. Glad I got my Mum one last month. Rest in piece good keyboard and MagSafe.

3. Infinite Vortex macrumors regular

Infinite Vortex

Fab! But would be nice if Apple can get this product into that magic $999 price point for the standard retail price.

4. Kajje macrumors 6502a

Kajje

5. jeffreyg, Jul 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2019

jeffreyg macrumors member

jeffreyg

No killing that darn Touch Bar, is there? What a pity.

Good news on the Air though - the only really good laptop Apple are making these days. Good value before, and even better now.

But sad about the MacBook - the most beautiful, elegant device they had. The writing seemed to be on the wall for it for a while though. The new MacBook Air was obviously intended to replace it. Now it has. :-(

6. Kajje macrumors 6502a

Kajje

7. FineFuturity macrumors regular

FineFuturity

It also seems Apple nixed the 12" MacBook. I can't find it anywhere on the store...

EDIT: there's likely still refurb models. I'm talking about new.
    EDIT 2: yep, the 12" is discontinued.

8. oldmacs macrumors 601

oldmacs

Yep the 12 inch is gone and so is the 2017 MacBook Air.

9. mudflap macrumors 6502

mudflap

I still don't get the hate for the Touch Bar. I like it. Especially with Better Touch Tool. To each their own I guess.

10. kodos macrumors 6502

I just bought one last month. Oh well. I love TrueTone on my 2018 15” MBP, and it would have been better to have it on the MBA as I travel with it more — the MBP is virtually a “desktop” for me. I did get it on sale anyhow, though.

11. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

It’s worth noting they also replaced the 1.5tb option of storage with 1tb. It makes it a bit more affordable for those who want a lot of storage.

12. kodos macrumors 6502

I despise it. It is awful for me. I am glad my 2018 MBA doesn’t have it. Glad you like it though — some people do. More power to them.

I thought it had some potential, but as a coder, who puts his fingers on top of the function keys (especially for stepping through code), the fact I cannot rest on the F keys any more just makes me very upset. I use an external keyboard on my 2018 MBP for this reason.

13. Pepe4life macrumors 6502

Pepe4life

Missing a key feature: removal of butterfly keyboards!

14. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

Wow! This is interesting. If they discontinued it, I would take that as Apple admitting they have gone too far with an underperforming overpriced machine. Maybe it wasn't selling well due to this, since the MacBook Air is just a better, cheaper machine.

This new MacBook Air update also seems like a step in the right direction. A lower price is something Apple hasn't done in a long time. Hopefully they will take this new attitude into the 16" MacBook Pro, and make it into a robust, more affordable machine with no silly features like the TouchBar.

15. Kajje macrumors 6502a

Kajje

I have to say I'm tempted to go from MBP 13 Non-TB to the new MBA this year. I'm not concerned about processing power, only concerned about battery life.

16. leman macrumors G3

Very nice update and a much needed streamlining of the Mac laptop line. Although I would have preferred that they simply rename the Macbook Air to Macbook (but I suppose that Air has better name recognition). Also very nice to see the Touch Bar across the MBP line.

17. roncron macrumors 6502

roncron

Damn. I was hoping for the better keyboard Ming Chi Kuo was predicting and a spec bump: the 1.6 GHz i5 was a bit slow by last year’s standards.

18. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68030

PBG4 Dude

Intel stopped updating the CPU used in the 12” MacBook. Apple has nothing to update it to.

19. recoil80 macrumors 68020

I think the Air branding is quite popular so it was the right decision to keep it even if they got rid of the 12'' model.
    At last they don't sell non retina models anymore, and it seems like the TouchBar is here to stay so even if they redesign the new MBP with a new keyboard I guess it will feature a TB

20. Kajje macrumors 6502a

Kajje

I had one of the first rMB. My first fully spec'ed out Mac. I was so excited. Turned out to be the biggest turd. While I loved the butterfly, keyboard was faulty, screen had strange anomalies in them, battery life was virtually zero, multiple system crashes. Loved the design and honestly never felt the single USB was that much of a turn off.

Donated it to my sister after it had been catching dust in a drawer for more than a year. Because I'm such a good guy. Now it's catching dust in her drawer as she's probably too shy to throw it in the bin where it belongs.

I loved all my MacBooks but that one was a pile of s. A small one.

21. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

What this tells me is the rumors of a new non-butterfly keyboard will most likely come to a new pro laptop, perhaps the rumored 16” model. My guess is this laptop will be similar to the iMac Pro or Mac Pro in that it won’t be for the majority of Mac buyers and will be expensive.

22. racer1441 macrumors 68000

Ugh. Had to buy one a month and a half ago. **** timing.

23. BWhaler macrumors 68030

BWhaler

Still has the junk keyboards.

Still can’t buy a high-quality laptop from APple at any price.

24. Kajje macrumors 6502a

Kajje

Yeah sure, like such thing was ever part of their metrics.

25. MarkIII macrumors newbie

Looks like the MacBook Air got rid of the 1.5 TB SSD option which is a bummer imo