Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
uber, is your temperature showing in Celsius or Farenheit? If i switch mine to Celsius i'm looking at ab 30 for the HD and 55 for CPU. Maybe that's why it's so different. Also, I've had mine on my lap in my bed for the past 3 hours, so that may increase the temp a little as well.
I agree with you on the multi touch... and i LOVE the SHEER size of that trackpad!!! It feels like you never run out of space.
Contrary to other people, i really don;t have a big issue with the viewing angle OR the glossy screen. in the past two days since i've had this, i have not once been bothered by either one. Maybe it's just me but usualy i'm pretty anal about stuff like that and it would've annoyed me by now.

Jeffrosproto

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
Right now (browsing the net in firefox, chatting in skype, transferring my 60GB iTunes library over WLAN) My Processor is sitting @ 70C, and my HDD @ 40C. The fan is running at 2000RPM.

lermal

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2007
Florida
Got my new Aluminum 2.4 GHz model with 4 GB RAM at my local Apple store the other night. I sold my MBP (Santa Rosa edition) to a colleague, and pretty much covered my cost of my new Macbook. :D

ubercool

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
Las Vegas
uber, is your temperature showing in Celsius or Farenheit? If i switch mine to Celsius i'm looking at ab 30 for the HD and 55 for CPU. Maybe that's why it's so different. Also, I've had mine on my lap in my bed for the past 3 hours, so that may increase the temp a little as well.
I agree with you on the multi touch... and i LOVE the SHEER size of that trackpad!!! It feels like you never run out of space.
Contrary to other people, i really don;t have a big issue with the viewing angle OR the glossy screen. in the past two days since i've had this, i have not once been bothered by either one. Maybe it's just me but usualy i'm pretty anal about stuff like that and it would've annoyed me by now.

Haha, you caught me! It was Celsius! :p So, 94 degrees for HD temp.

I also have no issues with the screen's reflection. Besides, it produces far more saturated color, which is a distinct advantage. :cool:

how do I check the running temperature?

I use a widget called iStat Nano. You can download it at Apple from their widget page. :cool:

SchalaZeal

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2008
SF Bay Area
Yippee!

I just have to add my own overwhelmingly positive comments about my new Macbook Aluminum. As of its purchase on Wednesday afternoon, it has ended almost ten years of Dell hell for me. Yay! VERY glad I waited several months for its introduction. I seemed to be having a couple of battery oddities similar to that of a previous poster on this thread... but I just attempted to "calibrate" by battery, so we'll see how that goes. At any rate, I'm absolutely loving the Mac experience thus far.

And I must add... I've already forgotten what any detractors have been saying about the new trackpad. Simply put, it's genius.

Geez. Two days and I'm becoming a fangirl already? D'oh! :eek:

subq

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2008
ubercool,

do you know if there is a way to transfer itunes from a pc?

I actually keep all my music on an NAS and I don't let itunes manage music (just use it to transfer to iphone), but I have quite a few apps for my iphone and I wouldn't mind just using itunes on the macbook instead of my desktop pc

I need to figure out how to backup the itunes data to the NAS anyway I guess...time to RTFM

hierobryan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
earth/jupiter
Got mine last night, just 19 hours ago.

+Brilliant screen. For me the glossy glass is a plus. Super bright and clear.
+Mouse, both trackpad and USB, are very responsive. I like.
+Graphics are obviously improved - dock fades, dashboard fades, minimizing/maximizing windows.
+Scrolling through Digg comments is much faster now.

-When placed on a desk, Macbook wobbles slightly. (it might be my desk).

ubercool

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
Las Vegas
ubercool,

do you know if there is a way to transfer itunes from a pc?

I need to figure out how to backup the itunes data to the NAS anyway I guess...time to RTFM

There are two ways to accomplish that. Simplest: import songs by pointing to your iTunes folder on an external drive, or if you want to preserve the play count, follow these instructions:

To migrate iTunes from PC to Mac while preserving play counts follow this procedure to transfer your music library. First, don’t let iTunes organize your music. Then install iTunes on your new Mac, copy all files from the iTunes Music folder on the PC to a new location on the Mac.

Open PC iTunes Music Library.xml and do a Find and Replace and search for the PC location and replace it with the Mac location. Then save this file on your Mac.

Delete the iTunes Library.itl and iTunes Music Library.xml on the Mac, and move the edited .xml file to the directory where the deleted file was. Then copy the PC iTunes Library.itl file to that same Mac directory and iTunes on the Mac should display all of your songs, playlists, counts and dates played, assuming it was successfully brought over from the PC to the Mac. :cool:

Jeremy08

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2008
Anyone notice a slight surface difference in height/surface on the upper lefthand corner of the trackpad?? It is like there is a difference in texture underneath the glass or something?:confused: Its on my new macbook by the way.

Jeffrosproto

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2008
There are two ways to accomplish that. Simplest: import songs by pointing to your iTunes folder on an external drive, or if you want to preserve the play count, follow these instructions:

To migrate iTunes from PC to Mac while preserving play counts follow this procedure to transfer your music library. First, don’t let iTunes organize your music. Then install iTunes on your new Mac, copy all files from the iTunes Music folder on the PC to a new location on the Mac.

Open PC iTunes Music Library.xml and do a Find and Replace and search for the PC location and replace it with the Mac location. Then save this file on your Mac.

Delete the iTunes Library.itl and iTunes Music Library.xml on the Mac, and move the edited .xml file to the directory where the deleted file was. Then copy the PC iTunes Library.itl file to that same Mac directory and iTunes on the Mac should display all of your songs, playlists, counts and dates played, assuming it was successfully brought over from the PC to the Mac. :cool:

I dont know if this is completely correct, but all I had to do was enable iTunes auto sort, copy the iTunes folder (in your Music folder) to my mac, open iTunes (on the mac) and it would automatically change the file paths to be correct for the mac. It didn't require any Find + replace or the likewise.

ubercool

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
Las Vegas
I dont know if this is completely correct, but all I had to do was enable iTunes auto sort, copy the iTunes folder (in your Music folder) to my mac, open iTunes (on the mac) and it would automatically change the file paths to be correct for the mac. It didn't require any Find + replace or the likewise.

Well, that's info I found on the Web. I have never actually done it myself. I just import the library, after copying the playlist XML files. Unfortunately, I do lose playcounts. :eek:

Anyone notice a slight surface difference in height/surface on the upper lefthand corner of the trackpad?? It is like there is a difference in texture underneath the glass or something?:confused: Its on my new macbook by the way.

I don't see anything you refer to. The trackpad is completely smooth and even, at least to my eyes. :confused:

Jeremy08

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2008
I can't feel any surface texture/height difference, sorry. :eek:

Upon further inspection, i can actually see what seems like a discoloration in the upper lefthand corner of the trackpad, that i can also obviously feel. The area looks almost like it is cracked and water got in there or something...which wouldn't make much sense. You can't see it at all with the naked eye, but at an angle you can see the exact area that you can feel...I wonder if its even worth taking it in to the genius bar, the computer is less than 1 week old, feels like a whole load of bs to me.

BoingoBongo

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2008
I just got back from the Apple store with my MacBook! I got the high end model and had them upgrade the RAM to 4gb.

This thing is flat out amazing. :eek:

subq

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2008
Well, that's info I found on the Web. I have never actually done it myself. I just import the library, after copying the playlist XML files. Unfortunately, I do lose playcounts. :eek:

thx, I have absolutely no interest in play counts, etc etc...just as I have no interest in letting itunes manage my music on my NAS

I will drop a post in the iphone forum and see the best way to get my iphone apps over, that's really all I'm concerned about and it isn't applicable to this thread, sorry for the detour :)

ubercool

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
Las Vegas
I just got back from the Apple store with my MacBook! I got the high end model and had them upgrade the RAM to 4gb.

This thing is flat out amazing. :eek:

It's awesome, huh? I did not know the Apple store can do a 4GB upgrade, good to know! :cool:

Dybbuk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
Upon further inspection, i can actually see what seems like a discoloration in the upper lefthand corner of the trackpad, that i can also obviously feel. The area looks almost like it is cracked and water got in there or something...which wouldn't make much sense. You can't see it at all with the naked eye, but at an angle you can see the exact area that you can feel...I wonder if its even worth taking it in to the genius bar, the computer is less than 1 week old, feels like a whole load of bs to me.

Return it and ask for an exchange.

BoingoBongo

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2008
It's awesome, huh? I did not know the Apple store can do a 4GB upgrade, good to know! :cool:

Yeah, I didn't know either. It does take about 2 hours though, but it was no big deal. We just went out to eat and then it was ready. :)

EDIT: I just realized they also gave me back the original 2gb sticks! That's awesome! So I've got 4gb in the computer and an extra 2gb for other uses. Woo!

Ridge911

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2008
I got the 2.4

-This is my first post, about my first laptop which is my first Mac. I have certainly delved into many uncharted waters with this purchase!

I waited for this for over a year, and I have the Macrumors Community to thank for all knowledge I've gained and for convincing me to give Apple a try. I have been a lurker here for over a year and a half, and just created my account yesterday!

I know many people aren't thrilled with these new Macbooks, but I couldn't be happier. It was everything I wanted: Backlit keyboard, LED backlit screen, better graphics, durable aluminum body, and the multi-touch. The only thing I wasn't thrilled about was the higher price points, BUT I've been saving for a year, so it wasn't that big of a speed bump for me.

I am happy to have finally joined the Apple elite, and I look forward to sharing and learning here at Macrumors.

-Ridge

bensim

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2004
Denver, CO
I bought a new MacBook 2.4 yesterday. Some thoughts:

1. In terms of calibration, I just chose the 2.2 Television Gamma over the default 1.8 choice. I'm not sure what all that really means, but it makes the screen less washed out. I've never had a glossy MacBook before, so that is also part of the learning curve for me.

2. This computer runs very cool. The bottom is lukewarm at best. The highest temp on iStat is 114f, but this computer feels so much cooler (literally) than my old MacBook Pro.

3. I like the track pad, but I need to change my habits. I used to rest my thumb on the button, and this causes problems with the new trackpad. Specifically, sometimes it stops the pointer dead in its tracks, and sometimes I inadvertently do the two finger pinch move which changes text sizes, etc., depending on the app.

4. The first MacBook I brought home had a battery/drive cover that didn't close properly. The store replaced it without a problem. This one seems perfect all around. Not bad for a new product...

5. The sleekness, aluminum, size, and weight make this a very seductive computer. So far it has been an excellent replacement for my older MacBook Pro. It's as close as I've come to my old 12" PowerBook.

6. The Firewire issue is somewhat annoying. I'll miss target mode the most. I uploaded files using a combination of an external USB drive and using ethernet file sharing. Since I have a Mac Pro at home, I don't think the lack of Firewire will affect me as much as other people. In fact, I don't think it'll affect me at all.

ubercool

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
Las Vegas
Welcome, Ridge! You are one of many converts, and there seem to be more and more each day. Enjoy your new toy, it's the best and totally worth your investment. ;)

-This is my first post, about my first laptop which is my first Mac. I have certainly delved into many uncharted waters with this purchase!

I waited for this for over a year, and I have the Macrumors Community to thank for all knowledge I've gained and for convincing me to give Apple a try. I have been a lurker here for over a year and a half, and just created my account yesterday!

I know many people aren't thrilled with these new Macbooks, but I couldn't be happier. It was everything I wanted: Backlit keyboard, LED backlit screen, better graphics, durable aluminum body, and the multi-touch. The only thing I wasn't thrilled about was the higher price points, BUT I've been saving for a year, so it wasn't that big of a speed bump for me.

I am happy to have finally joined the Apple elite, and I look forward to sharing and learning here at Macrumors.

-Ridge

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC

Don't settle for less. Get it replaced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.