MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

The recently leaked MacBook and MacBook Pro case images have spawned a 1400+ post discussion thread. One of the most debated issues is the analysis of the ports on the side of the upcoming Apple laptops. The two laptop enclosures photographed actually show two different port arrangements, which has caused some confusion.

The larger (presumed MacBook Pro) enclosure contains an additional port which is believed to be a Firewire port:

035124-mbp_425.jpg

While the Magsafe connector is not shown on this image, the remainder of the ports are believed to be (from right to left): Ethernet, Firewire, USB 1, USB 2, Video Out, Audio Jack, Headphones, Express Slot, and possible additional port (covered by tape).

035124-mb_425.jpg

This photo of the presumed MacBook enclosure shows the following ports from (right to left): Magsafe, Ethernet, USB 1, USB 2, Video Out, Audio Jack, Headphones.

If these images are believed to represent the upcoming machines, that would mean that Apple has eliminated Firewire support from the MacBook. Firewire (also known as IEEE 1394) is a common method for connecting external hard drives and digital camcorders to Macs. One interesting possibility mentioned, however, is that the newest Firewire specification does allow for the use of Firewire over Ethernet connectors, but Apple would have to specifically support this implementation. If they did, then users could theoretically use Firewire devices using a special adapter to connect to the Ethernet plug.

Other points of debate which have not found any consensus include:

- The exact video out plug standard. Though it may simply be an Apple-proprietary plug that requires a special adapter.
- The presence of a possible additional port on the MacBook Pro enclosure. Some have suggested that this could predict the iMac docking station in which a notebook would slide into an iMac-shaped dock. While the presence of a right sided optical drive would fit nicely with this design, this possibility still seems improbable.

Article Link

job

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2002
in transit
I use my FW400 port on my Macbook every day. :(

It'll be sad to see it go...

I wonder if it's to differentiate between the MBP and MB lines, especially if the MB is getting it's own discrete GPU??

Comment

santanablank

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2008
There might be a usb 3.0 on the macbook and they will sell a new accessories to convert it to the FW.

Comment

rcandre2

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2008
new case design not rounded

I have to buy a new MBP but am kinda bummed out that (if these photos are real) the new case does not have the round curviness that was supposed be implemented. We'll have to wait and see I guess!

Comment

mistertomlinson

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2007
My 17" MBP was sold on eBay ($2,300) about a week ago before the value could fall anymore... I can't wait! The old case already looks antique to me.

As for it's lack of "curves," I have been imagining the feel of a "boxy" MBP (similar to the design of the AirPort Extreme Base Station) and I gotta say, I think I like it...

Comment

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
i just dont think thats a port underneath the tape at all. Apple's first priority is design (well with Mr Ive still as Head of Design) so you would think they would put all the ports together.

Comment

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I have to buy a new MBP but am kinda bummed out that (if these photos are real) the new case does not have the round curviness that was supposed be implemented. We'll have to wait and see I guess!

Supposed to. You think they were supposed to taper the crap out of our notebooks and rob them of any measure of power and useful ports whatsoever?

Go buy an Air.

Comment

LEStudios

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2007
If speculating on MacBook Pro having Blu-Ray drives could the extra port be HDMI? HDMI is equal or better then the DVI. Since they are using NVIDIA motherboard and chipsets why not be HDMI since that option is on ALL new motherboards from NVIDIA. That would be nice to have 1080p with 6-8 channel of uncompressed audio through one port! Apple-TV is currently the only Apple product with HDMI. I say HDMI! :cool:

Comment

techpr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2008
San Juan, PR
So Apple is killing the FireWire port in the MacBook so they can drop the price to $799 ?

Come On!!! WTF, I use FireWire 400 in my MB every day.

Comment

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
Arn,

Excellent summary of everything so far...thanks. We just gotta wait til Tuesday. Tuesday will be a big day for MR!

Comment

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2000
I agree:
1- extra slot could be HDMI
2- sadly MB could lose the Firewire, at least from one side. a loss i don't like, but apple has been cutting out alot of firewire use, ie ipod and iphone support.
3- blu-ray on MBP, just hoping they do this. offer 2 options, standard playback and option for burning on an optional model.

hoping they upgrade the GPU also.

Comment

cdbob

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2008
I wonder if Apple will go modern or standard on these computers, I mean USB 3.0 has just come out, as well as the possibility of Firewire 3200. I think though Apple realises that its laptop lines must have a distinct difference between them, so like Porsche in the Cayman and 911, they cripple the lower priced model so it does not come close to the vastly more expensive flag ship.

Comment

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2007
No Firewire? I use FW every day, is Apple going to buy me all new hard drives, audio interfaces and video cameras to connect to the new machine? I don't think so. I hope profits drop significantly if there is any truth in these pics and no firewire on any of the machines come tuesday.

Comment

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
If speculating on MacBook Pro having Blu-Ray drives could the extra port be HDMI? HDMI is equal or better then the DVI. Since they are using NVIDIA motherboard and chipsets why not be HDMI since that option is on ALL new motherboards from NVIDIA. That would be nice to have 1080p with 6-8 channel of uncompressed audio through one port! Apple-TV is currently the only Apple product with HDMI. I say HDMI! :cool:

It'd be silly to waste a port on HDMI. You can just have a DVI (or mini-DVI or micro-DVI or super-tiny-dual-DVI, whatever it is they've put there) to HDMI adapter for $20.

Arn,

Excellent summary of everything so far...thanks. We just gotta wait til Tuesday. Tuesday will be a big day for MR!

I agree completely. This really did summarize the forum thread well...or at least the 10 pages or so I read before it completely exploded and I gave up on keeping up with it. :)

Comment

pfml07

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2008
UK
No Fw!

How? Why? just why would they do that!!

I use my FW everyday, this is rubbish, i will certainly not be buying a macbook again if this is the case. i was really excited until just now

Comment

xDYLANx

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2008
Oregon <3
i predicted firewire for MBP's about a week ago. i know i'm not the only one to do so, just thought i'd point it out to myself i was most likely right. yay for self-assurance!

:apple::apple::apple:

Comment

Dias

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2007
There is a chance that they are just MacBooks (lowcost+new 15'') and we haven't seen Pro yet.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.