Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jesaja

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2003
Lichtenstein
I have to say, I quite like the idea of a SIM card slot as for the mysterious tape covered hole in the left front, that came up on the other thread. Especially considering Apple's involvement in such business in recent time ;)

Jojo

cv01

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2008
- The exact video out plug standard. Though it may simply be an Apple-proprietary plug that requires a special adapter.

Well, it's a Mini-DVI Port:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini-DVI

There are various types of Mini-DVI Adapter:
Apple Mini-DVI to VGA Adapter Apple part# [1](M9320G/A)
Apple Mini-DVI to Video Adapter Apple part# [2](M9319G/A)
Apple Mini-DVI to DVI Adapter (DVI-D) Apple part# [3](M9321G/B)

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
It'd be silly to waste a port on HDMI. You can just have a DVI (or mini-DVI or micro-DVI or super-tiny-dual-DVI, whatever it is they've put there) to HDMI adapter for $20.

I agree completely. This really did summarize the forum thread well...or at least the 10 pages or so I read before it completely exploded and I gave up on keeping up with it. :)

Yeah, honestly, I have no idea how this site with SO MANY MEMBERS is run so efficiently. The threads just keep getting longer and longer due to crazy user interest and I love getting a summary of everything important that has been said.

I'm not big on "huge port selection" (=I own a MBA, haha) so I don't really care what ports are on the machines but I know most people do so I hope everyone will be happy.

Super Intendo

macrumors regular
May 26, 2008
Well, it's a Mini-DVI Port:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mini-DVI

There are various types of Mini-DVI Adapter:
Apple Mini-DVI to VGA Adapter Apple part# [1](M9320G/A)
Apple Mini-DVI to Video Adapter Apple part# [2](M9319G/A)
Apple Mini-DVI to DVI Adapter (DVI-D) Apple part# [3](M9321G/B)

nope, its not, its too small, look at it next to the USB port. Mini-DVI is about 1.5x the height of USB, this ones the same height, if not smaller. I assume its a proprietary plug made by apple that supports adapters for HDMI, DVI, DisplayPort and VGA. hey, why not?

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2007
There is a chance that they are just MacBooks (lowcost+new 15'') and we haven't seen Pro yet.

What so low cost they can't put a $10 chip and port on the board? What's next to cut costs an improve profits? Ship a machine without a keyboard or LCD? I use Firewire just as much as I use the keyboard. Apple are just a as greed drive as any other corporation now days they don't give a stuff about technology and it users. More important to them is their shareholders interest to make more money , how much money do they need? anyways they have multi billions in the bank.

pmanija

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2006
Lithuania
firewire.jpg

The little port befor the two USB looks like a mini FireWire (see picture). One thats covered with tape, could be HDMI.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I hope the Line In port isn't too close to the Video Out port. On my current MBP I can't use Line In and USB at the same time because the ports are too close together; if I couldn't connect a display then it'd be even worse!

Edit: Just submitted feedback to Apple about the current arrangement.

Philberttheduck

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2006
HB, CA
DVI doesn't support audio.

Yep, a two-in-one solution for the blu-ray player(probably not available at launch). And with all these HDMI-DVI adapters, this shouldn't be a big problem for Apple to sell their own. Those with VGA are screwed though, but VGA is older technology and I can see Apple's justification (or at least the likelihood) in dropping VGA support.

No firewire 400 is a bust to me. i remember reading somewhere that the firewire 3200/1600 are going to be the same cable as the fw800, so the FW800 could support all then(3200/1600/800/400)?

tremendous

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
UK? Yeah I'm OK. Stop asking.
No Firewire? I use FW every day, is Apple going to buy me all new hard drives, audio interfaces and video cameras to connect to the new machine? I don't think so. I hope profits drop significantly if there is any truth in these pics and no firewire on any of the machines come tuesday.

last time i checked, no one was forcing you to buy a new computer.

tremendous

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
UK? Yeah I'm OK. Stop asking.
i predicted firewire for MBP's about a week ago. i know i'm not the only one to do so, just thought i'd point it out to myself i was most likely right. yay for self-assurance!

:apple::apple::apple:

did you predict they'd come with keyboards and screens too, o wise sage?

must've really taxed the ol' neurons to 'predict' a top of the line machine would have firewire. please dazzle us with more predictions.

stephenli

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2004
Yes. I think so. It should be HDMI (out?). If it is HDMI (in), i would be happy to purchase.
my drives are all firewire. It would be sad if firewire is dropped.

Craigy

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2003
New Zealand
Would it make sense for the new MBPs to have a dual esata port? - We use an express 34 slot at the moment for a esata raid for HD video capture. However I understand that no many people would need this so it's probably not likely....

MrCrowbar

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2006
Yep, a two-in-one solution for the blu-ray player(probably not available at launch). And with all these HDMI-DVI adapters, this shouldn't be a big problem for Apple to sell their own. Those with VGA are screwed though, but VGA is older technology and I can see Apple's justification (or at least the likelihood) in dropping VGA support.

No firewire 400 is a bust to me. i remember reading somewhere that the firewire 3200/1600 are going to be the same cable as the fw800, so the FW800 could support all then(3200/1600/800/400)?

Sadly, virtually no projector has DVI, and those that have only have the VGA cable connected and run to the presenter's spot (I'm talking about those projectors that are mounted to the ceiling). I had to use S-Video because there was not other way to hook up my Mavbook to the projecor (didn't have the mini DVI to VGA adapter back then). I have all 3 adapters now, ont for displays (DVI), one for old TVs (S-Video) and one for projectors (VGA). Diversity sucks :)

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
No firewire, no sale. There's a lot of musicians (that aren't necessarily pro) that would agree too.

We'll see, I'm thinking those cases are some of the prototypes. The lack of agreement between the cases and the confusion over the MBP/MB dividing line is keeping my hopes up.

SydneyDev

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2008
Why is it the only port with tape on it? Maybe it is not a port at all, but where the prototype-making machine at the factory grips on.

Craigy

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2003
New Zealand
Would it make sense for the new MBPs to have a dual esata port? - We use an express 34 slot at the moment for a esata raid for HD video capture. However I understand that no many people would need this so it's probably not likely....

As for losing FW off the MBs - If this comes with a price drop and the ability to use a FW/Ethermet adaptor I can see this as being a differential between the 'consumer' and 'pro' machines.

uppity

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2008
I don't think that you would put Video out ports on the side (have we seen an image of the back). Could the port with tape over be for SD(HC)/memory cards? I think the ports that people are saying are video out are the firewire port.

Ade-iMac-177

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
Horray!!!! the new notebooks can't come quick enough

About the docking station - it is very unlikely - just think about heat that the MBP prodcued - now imagine putting it in a small box - only bad things would come of it.

flyingkite

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2007
Esata and new Apple remote placement

I believe that the extreme left ports on the new supposedly MBP casing are the Esata ports and new Apple Remote window.

The circular dot happens to be on the MB case but not on MBP.

I believe the Apple Remote works, even on the left hand side of the MBP as I have used my remote and not pointing directly at the machine and it will still work.

The assumed Esata port is nearest to the Hard disk location...(usually on the left side for newer models-not all). I believe a direct cable connection (shortest) route to the drive connection is the reason.

Attachments

• newmbpports.jpg
    newmbpports.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 667
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.