MacBook Mini Anyone?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by doberman211, Mar 8, 2011.

1. doberman211, Mar 8, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2011

doberman211 macrumors regular

Hey all, I've made this little thread to ask you what you think of a MacBook Mini? Kind of like an Apple netbook.

After messing around for an hour here's what I've come up with:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Specs:

Ports:
    - 2 usb 2.0
    - 1 thunderbolt
    - magsafe
    - Kensington lock
    - headphone jack

Internals:
    - 250GB 1.8" HDD upgradeable to SSD for extra $150
    - 1x4GB DDR3 RAM
    - Intel 2.0GHz core i3/2 duo/atom

Preferred Price range: $599-$799
    Let me know or add on in the comments below what you would like to add. And plz, macbook air fanboys leave because i dont want it being razor thin.

Please excuse the halfazsedness of the work as i was just throwing this together in under an hour and a half.

Edit: i am well aware the MBA is a netbook but the damn thing's expensive.

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

While I'm not a MacBook Air "fanboy" the product you've created is exactly what the 11" MBA is, except yours is bigger and clunkier.

It's an interesting mock-up, though your Photoshop job needs work (edit: this was written before your edit of above post). But, like I said, this is like creating a product for which there is already one in existence.

3. 184550 Guest

IMO the MBA does exactly what you've outlined. Essentially a netbook type device that's thicker than the Air for the sake of being thick since you 'dont want it being razor thin'.

4. doberman211 thread starter macrumors regular

No, its not. It's a plastic netbook not aluminum. it is not the macbook air because it can still hold some power in it.

And its not 900 bucks.

5. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

You asked us what we thought. When 2 people said the same thing, you didn't address any points brought up, you simply said "No, it's not."

If you don't want peoples' opinions, why ask for them?

Also, 250 GB SSDs go for about 1/4 of the price of your netbook. How is it supposed to cost so little when the SSD costs so much?

6. 184550 Guest

I suppose anything is possible given this is all happening in a fictional Apple universe. :p

7. doberman211, Mar 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2011

doberman211 thread starter macrumors regular

because they're troll-y comments. i know im gonna get yelled at for it but i think a polycarbonate netbook would be better than the air as it can be a hell of a lot cheaper is all i'm saying.

This IS fiction. its not a plan i have for the future its just a little shuitteh mockup i made in my free time.

well then place an HDD in there then. its simple as that. i just didnt know how small they made them. small enough to fit in the ipod classic i guess. there swap SSD for HDD and have it upgradeable.

Also the air wouldnt even be able to compete with this. The $1400 online upgrade of 4GBRAM and 1.6GHz core 2 duo is far less powerful than my theoretical if you rly wanna call it that MBM of 600 bucks. I may have mislead you actually including specs but that was just random last minute stuff. You guys literally swarmed in here ten seconds after i posted the thread so you can't blame me on that one.

8. cherry su macrumors 65816

cherry su

The 1.8" hard drives are still expensive. 2.5" is what most netbooks use.

9. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I would love a $600 MacBook Mini.

Actually, I think Apple should go back to using aluminum for their 'pro' models and plastic for their 'consumer' models.

Make a Mac Mini out of plastic, make the Macbook Mini out of plastic, and keep the prices between $500-$800.

10. doberman211 thread starter macrumors regular

But would apple be able to cram everything they like into the laptop with such a large hard drive? including the battery? I'm glad some ppl like the idea.

11. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Why?

The 11" Macbook Air is Apple's version of this. It's better, and you can buy it today.

Platter based drives are the past. Apple moves tech forward.

12. doberman211 thread starter macrumors regular

because

If you read my post above that i edited, i give you some rough comparaissons. no the air is worse in specs it just looks nicer so it looks like it's better. the max you can get on the air is 128 and thats a 1200$ upgrade. this is a 600$ netbook.

13. 184550, Mar 8, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2011

184550 Guest

I guess I just don't see the point of creating a thread for a purely fictional product that has virtually zero chance of happening within the next three to five years. :confused:

14. altecXP macrumors 65816

15. doberman211 thread starter macrumors regular

see?

And i was bored is that reason enough for you? I read some old rumors of an apple polycarbonate netbook from like who knows when and just made this. I posted it to i guess show ppl. Why? Slight boredom today that's all.

16. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Actually, we can ;) You shouldn't hit the Post button until it's done :p

17. doberman211 thread starter macrumors regular

Well Jesus i need to test if the images will show up you know, they dont always work with Photobucket on some sites.

18. steeex macrumors member

you see, you are missing THE point.

Apple has no interest in selling you a 600$ notebook. They are positioned on the market as a (the) premium manufacturer and they are enjoying great success with such business model. Now, why in the world would they change that?

If you are willing to spend only 500$ for your Apple gizmo, you get an iPad. That's what they want you to do it anyway...

If you really want an ultraportable, you pay premium for the Air. They have such margins with it anyway...many components are more a "yesterday" tech, still we buy them at a "tomorrow" price...

19. old-wiz macrumors G3

Even if Apple did build a MacBook mini, there's no guarantee it would sell for $600; more likely it would go for $900. Apple doesn't want to get into the el-cheapo market.

20. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Steve Jobs himself said that they weren't interested in selling netbooks.

Last night I had a dream that I walked into an Apple store and saw your mockup sitting there for $600. I couldn't believe you were right.

21. doberman211, Mar 9, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2011

doberman211 thread starter macrumors regular

Steve Jobs, to be honest, doesnt have much time left. and this is a premium product. its 300$ for a wintel netbook. its not cheap its still pretty damn expensive. But the Air looks stupid in my opinion and dont bother arguing about that statement it gets annoying and ive heard it all 10 times over.
    after the iPad, they need a new model. they do it every what, 1.5 years, release a new "toy" like the iPhone then the iPod touch then the Air then the iPad, they need a new one eventually or ppl will get bored.

Im not completely finished this idea because (apple wouldnt do this in a million years) i made a colorful lineup of these. My friend played with the hues of it all of them the same color as the original apple logo. not all the ipod nano colors because i think magenta would be better than pink, as well as a product red. another thing im not done is the keyboard. But i think the colors idea is gonna get LOTS of hate if i get this much on this simple little whine idea. also, want a BlacBook back? its not that hard to do you know.

If you dont like it post your own. But no Air or im gonna need to kick you out :p.

Edit: well here's my rainbowbooks for you trollz:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Assuming that's actually true, what does it have to do with this discussion? We'll all be sad to see Steve go, but that's not going to be the end of Apple nor will it make Apple change its policies.

23. doberman211 thread starter macrumors regular

good god just post something to do with the topic or go troll someone else or i'll remove this whole damn thing altogether. there's no moc-up fun random models section of this site so just calm the **** down.

24. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I thought my eyes were screwing with me as I flicked through the forum and found this, haha.

Interesting. Good mock up OP.
    Apple needs to price their laptops away from iPads. They need their iPads away from iPod Touch's ... and so on.

There's almost no more space to fit a cheaper device.

25. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Woah, woah. It was an honest question. I did post something to do with the topic, but you completely dismissed it. Then you comment about Jobs' health and I honestly want to know why you think it's relevant to the discussion at hand.

I'm sorry you disagree with all my posts in this thread, but I'm certainly not trolling.