Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cs.oyen

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2015
Portugal
Hi!

Guys I'm facing a problem with a late 2013 Macbook Pro. It's a little hard to explain but I'll try.

For some reason my Mac when in sleep mode turns off and won't turn on again. Sometimes if I plug in the power cord and click on it will start working again. Also, if you put in the power cord and remove it, it will boot automatically. These kinds of tricks were getting harder and harder to do. Sometimes if you do a SMC reset and remove the battery, when you put it back in it will start working again. Lately only if I take out the battery, plug it back in and try several times to turn it on. Again, start to get harder to make it working.

After doing a hardware test it gave an error with the battery so I bought a new one and I try to solve this but now I am facing another problem. After replacing the battery with a new one, the fan starts to run, but there is no sound, picture or other type of operating signal. Try a smc reset but it's not working.

So if anyone has had this problem, find out if it can be fixed. Is it likely a motherboard issue?

Edit: sorry for my English

Last edited:

cs.oyen

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 1, 2015
Portugal
@jav6454

Thank you. I think I have some kind of update.

Yesterday I tried to unplug all cables (keyboard, trackpad, IO...) still the same issue but at the end I try to unplug the LVDS cable, from display. After doing that and an soon I plug the power cord everything started to work again (except the screen). Powered on, powered off all okay, if connect to a external monitor it´s okay as well.

I took a look at the lvds cable and the first left pin is broken, have only half. I tried to plug the cable (now without the damaged pin) and everything still working good except the display (I can see image but only with a flashlight, so I have no backlight, I think).

Worth to try a new display cable or this is just another behavior from a major issue?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.