Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacAndy74

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 19, 2009
Australia
I hate to say this, but the screen size (at least for me) is sadly just that little bit too small :( I feel a bit sad since I had my heart set on one. But then I saw the 15-inch MacBook Pro right next to it, really is worth the extra shackles.

Anyway, I had a really close look at the screen vibrancy and color, I didn't notice any off greens or fluro colors on the MBP 13-inch, or the 15-inch for that matter. One thing that did blow me away was how fast the new MBP 13-inch with 2.26GHz processor is - click, instant launch - be it Pages, Keynote or Numbers. Or any other App I managed to find. Amazing computers, just that the 13-inch is a little too small for my aging eyes.

ColinEC

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2008
Well with all the dough you save buying the 13" you could get an external display ;)

JamesGorman

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
Winnipeg
Some people think the 13inch is to small, and others are wanting a 12inch back. Theres a wide variety of what everyone wants and needs. Its somewhat interesting haha.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Launching iWork applications isn't CPU bound.

I just realized the fire sale they're having on the previous generation of MacBook Pros as well. $1,349 for the 9600M GT is palatable.

MacAndy74

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 19, 2009
Australia
Sucks that the 13" screen is only 13"...

If I were to nitpick, and I am about to - the screen is 13.3-inch :p

@ JamesGorman Fair, but I guess it depends on many factors - for me it's my eyes, not as good as they used to be. The screen on the 13-inch MBP is vivid, amazing and clear. But I had to squint, and that means - next screen size up for me.

@ ColinEC I could, but I already have a nice Samsung 226BW if I really want a large external monitor. ;)

djinn

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2003
I'm in a bind myself. I'm looking at the new MBP 13" and 15" trying to decided which one to upgrade. I have even questioned whether an upgrade is really required since my current Rev C MBP is doing ok.

I wouldn't mind the dedicated video card(s) in the 15" but I wouldn't mind the 13" size. I'm curious about the performance difference with the new 15" uMBP vs my Rev C.

Currently my Rev C MBP is shocking me still and the metal above the cdrom is starting to bow.

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Sorry here, I don't mean to come across to the OP as a "meanie" but you knew what you were buying. A 13" screen is a 13" screen. I mean, didn't you at least ever see one in person even before this model? You sound like you've never seen a 13" screen before. :p

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
I hate to say this, but the screen size (at least for me) is sadly just that little bit too small :( I feel a bit sad since I had my heart set on one. But then I saw the 15-inch MacBook Pro right next to it, really is worth the extra shackles.

Anyway, I had a really close look at the screen vibrancy and color, I didn't notice any off greens or fluro colors on the MBP 13-inch, or the 15-inch for that matter. One thing that did blow me away was how fast the new MBP 13-inch with 2.26GHz processor is - click, instant launch - be it Pages, Keynote or Numbers. Or any other App I managed to find. Amazing computers, just that the 13-inch is a little too small for my aging eyes.

Why not just use an external monitor, keyboard+ mouse and use MBP in closed lid or actually use the 13" as secondary monitor to check emails or IM. Get a nice mount to put it at same height of your other monitor.

I would rather have 13" MBP + 24" ACD then a 17" MBP so that that i have both the portability when I do need it and at home, i just hook it up to ACD to turn it into a virtual desktop. 24" ACD should provide you with the same vivid image that you saw from your 13" screen.

It may be more expensive than actually getting a 15" but not 17", you may even drop the price by getting a Dell monitor but you can use your current external display right now as you stated you have one.

I have the 17" MBP because I used to constantly carry it between classes, work and home, it is the only machine I have. But because of how much 13" changed over the years, I would get 13" + 24" ACD next time.

shaunymac

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
To the op, I know how you feel. I have been through 2 12" macs in my life. One being an iBook that is still in the family and the other being the hoily grail or the portable macs, the powerbook 1.5, I guess that was up until last week.

Before I bought my 15" mbp, I told myself I was going to wait it out until they released another 12" "pro" model. Well, it never happened and I went through buying and returning a macbook bc of the glossy screen and finally settling on the 15". Now that I have the size it is nice when working with Ps, Dw, things where space is really needed. Sure you can zoom in but 12" or 13.3" can get tight quick.

The only time I really wish I had my powerbook back is when I travel. I haven't been on a plane in 8 months. You get the picture.

deanshu

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2008
If I were to nitpick, and I am about to - the screen is 13.3-inch :p

@ JamesGorman Fair, but I guess it depends on many factors - for me it's my eyes, not as good as they used to be. The screen on the 13-inch MBP is vivid, amazing and clear. But I had to squint, and that means - next screen size up for me.

@ ColinEC I could, but I already have a nice Samsung 226BW if I really want a large external monitor. ;)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the pixel density on the 15" was higher than the 13"

djinn

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2003
Oh I totally agree! I am still trying to justify an upgrade. And if I do I do t know which model to get.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.