Macbook Pro 15" Retina dropped and retina damaged

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by colinor, Oct 27, 2012.

1. colinor macrumors newbie

colinor

Hi guys,

Just dropped my MBP Retina from my bed... some 20cm. I was very surprised and shocked to find out that the bottom left corner of the display is dented and some 6-7mm of the left screen side is black now.
    I am really disappointed from this computer... cant believe that it is so sensible . DO you have an idea if my warranty will cover this and how much a new display would cost.
    I just got my MBP retina some 2 weeks ago... still feel very bad...
    Please help...

Thanks!

2. iLukeJoseph macrumors 6502

Warranty will not cover it. And don't blame the rMBP for you dropping it. If you wanted a drop resistant laptop should have gotten a toughbook or something.

I assume you are not from the US, so not sure if your credit card, or renters/home owners insurance would cover it.

3. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

This is why I pay for insurance and am very careful with my £2000 computer.

unlikely to be covered by home insurance.

4. colinor thread starter macrumors newbie

colinor

... well i dont blame the rMBP but did not expect it to get dented after this...
    anyway... i really enjoy but i think im gonna need a new screen. I found some sellers in ebay selling it for $588. Not sure if thats the only option. I will contact apple on Monday and see what they say... bad luck... its been only two weeks since i bough it :(((

5. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Are you near an apple store? If so pay a visit to the Genius Bar. You'd be surprised what they are willing to do to help a customer.

6. colinor thread starter macrumors newbie

colinor

Well, I live in Bulgaria and I dont think there is an apple store like in the other countries. They are some authorised sellers and service centres but not Apple stores with Genius Bars :( .... I really hope there is something other than buying a new screen that could be done :( I didnt even have time to play enough with it. its still working but this black 6mm line on the left drives me creasy :(

7. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

How are people so careless with such expensive things? I can't comprehend it at all.

8. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

its actually very easy - i have never damaged my laptops - but it would not surprise me if a freak accident occurred.

9. xxcysxx macrumors 6502

next time get a hard shell speck case for it. the hard plastic shell would have absorb the shock from that fall and the back of the screen wouldn't have been dented at all.
    the hard shell case actually act like a layer of reinforcement for your already flimsy laptop.

10. sno1man macrumors regular

I'll never understand the "superior to thou" attitude that seems so prevalent here, though it does seem to be clustered among the teenagers.

Accidents and unexpected things happen to people. I have had all of the iPhones since the original and never dropped one until my 5 which got dropped last week. The 5 year old son of a friend literally ran in to me and I dropped the phone.

You know what though? I was more concerned about if he was hurt than the condition of the phone. Both ended up with a small bump and it could have been much worse for both.

11. Moshe1010 macrumors 6502a

Buy AppleCare, and go to Apple store in a week or so.

12. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Which is fraud.

13. Saladinos macrumors 68000

Saladinos

Sorry to hear; a similar thing happened to my 3rd gen iPad. The glass on the new models extrudes slightly from the frame (unlike the 1st gen, which feels much stronger and from experience is more durable). It makes it weaker to small compressions in the corners. Shame to hear the RMBP has a similar design.

Try and take it to a store. If they say no under warranty, offer the guy at the store $250 if he just does it under warranty anyway :p You'd be surprised. Lots of people exchange screens on this model for image problems, so one more exchanged screen can't hurt ;)

Or you could try saying you got it like that - cracked in the box. It does happen. You're still within 2 weeks, so they might take it.

Seriously, you'd be surprised. Just try something; what have you got to lose?

14. six.four macrumors 6502

What would this accomplish? Standard AppleCare doesn't cover accidental anyway - so you'd shell out $350 for nothing.

15. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

16. Moshe1010 macrumors 6502a

You're right. I got confused with iPhone's 5 AppleCare that covers almost everything.

17. RexTraverse macrumors 6502

Since you live in Bulgaria, I don't know if this applies to you, but did you happen to purchase your MacBook Pro with an American Express? At least here in the US, American Express provide 90 days of accident insurance and adds an additional year to your existing warranty on all purchases.

18. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

hahaha, the worst advice I've read today lol!

19. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

20. colinor thread starter macrumors newbie

colinor

Well, the purpose of this forum is people to help each other. Don't be surprised if this happened to you one day...

Thanks to everyone who's trying to help me on that.

Thanks guys!

----------

No, I bought it from France and it was delivered by Chronopost France. I dont think they provide any kind of accident insurance. There is also no any apple store like you have in the States. There are only authorised sellers and service centres. I speak to them on Monday. :(
    I checked ebay last night and found retina screens shipped from China but not sure how good they are. They cost around $600 :(
    Can I contact apple somehow and ask them how it will cost to replace the display?

Thanks,

----------

Thanks a lot,

I will certainly do something like this next week... but as I said there are no officials Apple store in Bulgaria. Not sure how much the guys in the authorised service centres would help me. But I will certainly give a try.... nothing to loose.

Thanks,

----------

Its on its way from England. Just ordered it a week ago. :( bad timing

----------

Thanks,

Did not help much.

21. colinor thread starter macrumors newbie

colinor

Thats the result.. :(

Attached Files:

• 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      2 MB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      884 KB
      Views:
  22. apparition47 macrumors newbie

20cm high onto a hard floor? owch.

I wonder what Apple cares to repair this, if they do at all

23. Adidas Addict macrumors 65816

Adidas Addict

Holy *****, that weren't no 20cm drop :eek:

24. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

Apple charges 799$ for a replacement screen, plus 34$ in labor, but the good news is that replaces the entire top cover so your dent is gone. I know the price because they replaced my screen and thats the price listed. Mine was done under warranty so I didn't have to pay, but the price is the same regardless.

25. colinor, Oct 28, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2012

colinor thread starter macrumors newbie

colinor

Well, there were exactly 20cm on a carpet. I am really surprised... They should be a bit more durable...
    Any chance I can exchange it under warranty and not paying for that?

Thanks

----------

Not more than 20cm on a carpet!