Macbook pro 15 without that touch-bar.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Grassgreen, Feb 16, 2017.

1. Grassgreen macrumors regular

Think Apple will release an updated mbpr without that touch-bar? I don´t want a touch-bar on my laptop, but I´d like the machine to have the newest hardware though..

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, I think that would be an admission at this point that the TB is a failure.

I don't believe it is a failure, though I do think its a gimmick but I'm just pointing out that if they made that move, people would view it as a failure

3. c0ppo macrumors 6502a

c0ppo

The bold part is funny :D

I do think it's a complete gimmick, so it is a failure in my book. I do hope that we will see 15" version without TB, and without dGPU. So just Iris, and regular keys. I would be all over that.

But I doubt that will happen :(

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I know, but I think from one perspective it may be viewed as a gimmick but yet many people will find it useful. If it was a complete failure then it would largely not gain any traction. I know I sound like I'm talking out of both sides of my mouth but I guess I don't want my opinion to color an objective view of TB.

5. c0ppo macrumors 6502a

c0ppo

Well, to be fair, Apple advertises this laptop as a 'Pro' laptop. And I see nothing compelling in TB from a Pro standpoint. Ok, I'm a developer. I have yet to see a single case where TB would serve developers better then old keys. It's not even on par, TB is less usable then old function keys from developers standpoint.

And since I work with lot's of graphic artists (game dev), I haven't still met one that thinks TB has made him more productive. Everyone uses shortcuts. Everyone.

I don't know anyone from video editing, but I don't think it's any different there.

Where I think TB does help, well... It's to Photoshop/Affinity/Pixelmator/Sketch/etc. noobs. People who still haven't learned shortcuts. It probably is helpful to them. At first. In the long run it's gonna hurt them, since they won't learn to use shortcuts.

Keyboard shortcuts are way faster and more efficient. TB is a total gimmick in my book. Of course that there will always be those with different opinion. I respect that. But I see TB as a solution to a problem that never existed, and that no one asked to be solved in the first place.

I would gladly pay the same price of 15" without TB. Same price they are asking for a TB version. I would loose on gimmicks, but gain function keys, and battery life. Win for me, win for greedy apple, since they would make more money :)

6. Seed101 macrumors 6502

Seed101

A successful gimmick?

7. MrGuder macrumors 68020

It didn't really make sense why released only the 13" without the TB.

8. macTW macrumors 65816

More bold! Lol. But this sums up a lot of what Apple has done lately, in my opinion, as well as what Apple has done for a while as a company.

9. Queen6, Feb 16, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2017

Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Tend to agree the Touch Bar is rather a gimmick, only serving to add another layer of complexity to user input, in a very un Apple like fashion. I get the purpose of a touch screen for a 2 in 1 etc. however a dynamically changing function bar sandwiched between the keyboard and display, seems more a distraction than an aid to productivity.

In time Dev's may work some magic, equally using the "Touch Bar" will still require a break in the users focus from the display and work at hand. Given choice, I would prefer the MPB to be offered "full fat" without the "Noob Bar" :p

Q-6

10. masotime, Feb 16, 2017

masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

I would definitely get one without the TB. It actually subtracts functionality by removing haptic feedback of key presses, particularly of the ESC key. I know you can remap it, but that requires you to switch context when you move back to a normal keyboard.

Until the TB implements force touch and the haptic feedback simulator, it's definitely not ready for prime time.

11. niploteksi macrumors regular

In its current form the Touch Bar is pretty useless to me. I admit to being mildly curious when it was in a rumour state. It's also way too thin to be comfortable...

12. SteveJUAE, Feb 16, 2017

SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

I think the TB and the enlarged trackpad are a sort of placebo in lieu of touch screens or pen ie where you perceive an improvement or expectation but the reality is far more neutral

They also seems to detract from the original simplicity and functionality Apple has striven to implement over the years IMO

13. jerryk macrumors 68030

Price. It is the MacBook Air replacement.

14. MrGuder macrumors 68020

I wonder if it's possible one of the reasons for making the track pad so large is Apple is considering down the road to incorporate the extra large track pad as say a writing pad with special tool, even use your fingers to make gestures like say your on a window and you want to minimize it write on the track pad with your finger "min" or write "o iTunes" for open iTunes. These are poor examples but a track pad this large could be used for much more with a pen or your writing out what you want to do.

I don't know I'm just thinking why they made the trackpad so large there has to be another reason they have planned down the road to keep things fresh and people saying wow I want that.

15. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Have look at the Lenovo Yoga Book for what can be done with a dual purpose KB, niche but clever stuff. The actual TP is poor.

16. jerryk macrumors 68030

I can't imagine writing out commands would be more efficient than clicking an icon to launch iTunes.

I have heard that they plan on making the pencil work with the trackpad as a drawing tool. But, that has been tried before with mixed results. People like drawing directly on the screen like on an iPad Pro or Cintiq.

17. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

for $500 more

18. Sanpete macrumors 68020

If they could make it operate like a graphics tablet (e.g. Wacom) that would be a great feature. Those tablets are still very popular, even with touch screens. A lot of people don't want to ruin their screens.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 16, 2017 ---
    $300, rather, with the same size SSD. That covers numerous improvements, including a retina screen.

19. MrGuder macrumors 68020

Exactly, touch screens probably are nice to use and work for a lot of people but there are a lot of people like myself that could never use one because the dirty fingerprint screen would drive me crazy and take away from the beauty of the screen. I already go crazy when there is a spec of dust on my screen, I can't even imagine how I would cope with fingerprints all over my screen. lol

20. jerryk macrumors 68030

Work's for Tim Cook. And me as a Apple stockholder!
    --- Post Merged, Feb 16, 2017 ---
    So you can't use an iPad or phone?

21. MrGuder macrumors 68020

Oh yes I have one but it constantly drives me crazy wiping it down. It's not so bad with a 9.7" screen but having to do that all the time on a 15" screen would too much.

22. caramelpolice macrumors regular

My 15" MBP already gets filthy with fingerprints as it is. I don't even know how!

23. uptownnyc macrumors 6502

I bet they do. Offering the 13" without it kept the door open to introduce it at some point.

24. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

That's why Apple is pushing me out the door. Well, me and the extended family I advise, when it comes to computer purchases.

Enjoy, Diamond Jim

25. Hieveryone macrumors 68030

Failure would mean, IMO, that people switched to dell bc of it. For example, if people hypothetically said they're switching to Androids bc no headphone jack then removing it would mean that move was a failure, but I don't think that happened (?) fortunately for Apple.

Gimmick just means it's like Siri IMO lol.