MacBook Pro (17-inch, Late 2011) - GPU just died

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tubeexperience, Apr 15, 2016.

1. tubeexperience, Apr 15, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2016

tubeexperience macrumors 68030

I was just on YouTube watching videos. My laptop MBP (17-inch, Late 2011) suddenly froze.

I powered it off and power it on again. The whole screen is red. The progress bar goes halfway then the computer gets to a white screen then roboot. It's basically stuck in a loop.

I knew this day would come, but I am still so sad.

I am typing this on my Dell from 2008.

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

3. matt_on_a_mtn Suspended

Take it to an Apple Store and see what they can do. If it's the GPU they may cover it.

4. Idarzoid macrumors 6502

If Apple is unable to help you, you can boot into recovery (if you can at all), open terminal and delete/move the AMD kexts, this causes the system to boot with a fallback driver with no graphic acceleration (you'd get something like 640x480 resolution with reduced colors, etc), not the best option but it comes in handy if you need to boot up and access something.

There's a guide somewhere for this, shouldn't be hard to find.

5. tubeexperience, Apr 15, 2016

tubeexperience thread starter macrumors 68030

6. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Interesting. I haven't seen that manifestation before.
    Fortunately, it should be simply enough to take it in for a free repair.

7. tubeexperience thread starter macrumors 68030

Unfortunately, the replacement logic board that I receive will be a piece of **** that has been cheaply repaired and will fail after a couple of months.

8. krishmk macrumors regular

Your laptop worked for 5 years and I would say it served better than any windows laptop. If you can apple to fix the GPU then good, if not, cut your loses and move on...

There is no guarantee in life for anything and other laptops manufacturers will not give you any warranty beyond 1 yr period. Apple does better than most...

9. MetalCores macrumors regular

MetalCores

Take it in. See what Apple will do. This isn't a vintage machine yet so there are still parts made for it.

10. ron1004, Apr 15, 2016

ron1004 macrumors 6502

ron1004

Mine is doing fine since the repair just over a year ago, and so are many others, but I guess you've convinced yourself to expect otherwise for your case.

11. tubeexperience, Apr 15, 2016

tubeexperience thread starter macrumors 68030

I am typing on my Dell laptop from 2008 running Windows 10.

Also, what makes you think that my laptop is 5 years old?

I am pretty sure that Apple ran out of any new parts to give. The one that Apple has are probably failed logic board that has been reballed.

You have to understand that there are only so many new replacement logic boards that were available.

Maybe you are one of the lucky ones that got a new logic board as replacement, but at this point, new replacement logic boards are probably gone. The ones available are most likely failed logic boards that has been reballed.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 15, 2016 ---
    I was watching this video when my MBP died. Oh, the irony!

12. matt_on_a_mtn Suspended

OP, how about instead of being so negative you actually go to an Apple Store and see what can be done?

Your complaints and assumptions are doing absolutely nothing to fix your problem, so since belligerence and cynicism aren't working, why not try a new strategy? Like going to the Apple Store, being polite, and getting it fixed for free?

13. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Tend to agree with others take it to Apple and see what they say, equally I also agree that Apple pushes the thermal envelope far too much solely for the sake of being thinner, which in no means helps the situation.

The rapid heating & cooling of high power components such as the dGPU is a recipe for failure. The only solution is improved cooling, Apple opted for thinner, for many there will be no issue as their usage/workflow does not stress the hardware, for those that do, the event of premature failure is elevated.

As for the argument of Apple over Windows OEM`s, Apple simply has better support thx to it`s physical presence, and helpful after-sales, nor are all Windows systems poorly designed with many running for year upon year without issue, however the Windows OEM`s could learn a great deal from Apple as in general their customer support is tragic at best.

Q-6

14. ron1004 macrumors 6502

ron1004

Because my repair was done before the announcement of the extended warranty, I paid for it and it was NOT a new board, ....but that just doesn't support your agenda.

A reballed unit using lead based solder has the potential of outlasting a new one that would be assembled with lead-free solder.

15. jorgk macrumors member

jorgk

Than read this: Mine (late-2011 MBP 15") lasted a year: Was pretty amazed that I could throw any kind of GPU-test-SW onto it without any hiccup and thus believed that Apple has found a way to repair/replace in a durable way - it was my third LB replacement that appeared to last, finally.

Wrong and worse: Now, after about one year, I get a kernel panic whenever the MBP switches from the dGPU back to the integrated one. Console states: "AGC GPU REGISTER RESTORE FAILED ". But Apple's tool to detect whether the dGPU is at fault fails to acknowledge that a faulty dGPU/-connection is the problem - what else should it be if only and reproducible happening under these circumstances ... :(

If I force using the iGPU (by GfxCardStatus) no problem, if I force staying on the dGPU (since using an external display 90% of the time I need it frequently) also no problem - albeit a quickly emptying battery once at home.

Seems I need to find and pay for reballing, on my own. Thus, for me the repair-program and its extension is just a joke - the 'bad guy' decided for 'bad' rules.

16. tubeexperience thread starter macrumors 68030

Three hours trip to the Apple Store later and...

FML!

[​IMG]

17. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Admittedly, I had to go Google what the hell FML meant. I must be getting old.

Fix my lighthouse?

Anyway, I've completely given up on laptops with a dGPU, partly because the gaming performance will always suck compared to a PC (and I'm all about maximum quality at acceptable frame rates,) but also because of my experiences with dGPU portables of any vendor. Next portable system I get will have integrated GPU, regardless of whether it's an Apple system or not.

For now, I casually give my mid2012 MBP a paranoid sidelong glance once in a while ... Silently counting the days until it has a similar problem (and I do the same with my work ThinkPad W540,) and that's not what a customer of any vendor should have to be worrying about.

F**k my life.

18. tubeexperience thread starter macrumors 68030

I politely asked the Apple Genius if I might encountered the same issue again after the repair has been completed. He assured me that that "rarely" ever happened and that most people are " completely satisfied" with the repairs.

I wonder how it feels to have to repeat the same lies over and over again.

19. Howard2k macrumors 6502a

Howard2k

I laughed.

20. Fishrrman macrumors G3

OP:

You've got what sounds like "RadeonGate".

Apple has a motherboard replacement program for this.
    It's FREE.

Take it to an Apple Store right away.

That's really your only option, short of buying something new.

That is all...

21. tubeexperience thread starter macrumors 68030

Does that means that it will be back at the Apple Store for pick up in about 3 - 5 days or does that means the repair will be done in about 3 - 5 days?

22. duervo, Apr 17, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2016

duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

I take it to mean that they will call in 3-5 days to let you know either way: 1. It's in the store ready for pick-up, or, 2. It's not ready yet, we'll call you again in 3-5 days.

23. JTToft macrumors 68040

Mine took 24 hours from drop-off till I had it back. :D

24. tubeexperience thread starter macrumors 68030

How did the refurbished logic board arrived that fast?