Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chancha

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2014
Almost never seen anyone actually trying because nobody has a stick to begin with. Don't see 16GB modules of DDR3 SODIMM all that much if at all. It is easy to find 4-8GB of course.

Honestly it would be a performance mis-match for that memory density pairing with 2010 era CPUs, especially those that Macs use. This thread started in 2013 so this made more sense back then, but for now it is more trouble than it is worth IMO.

alex0002

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2013
New Zealand
You send this to me and I try it.. I have 32GB (2x16GB).

You might need to install Catalina to get the updated firmware. There is at least one thread where some people have been able to receive a 422.0.0.0.0 firmware update for an older macbook pro this way. To install Catalina, you'd probably need to follow instructions for installing macOS 10.15 Catalina on Unsupported Macs and read through the whole thread, so that you don't brick your Mac.

Once you have the higher version of firmware, you should be able to return to your preferred version of macOS and the firmware should stay at the higher level. I've no idea if this will support more RAM or not.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.