Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tashi_108

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2024
Hey everyone thank you for reading my post.

I recently purchased a used Macbook Pro 2015 - 15.4 inch laptop with a brand new battery installed. Being a novice in caring for this unit I'd like to ask the experts their opinion on how I may get the best use and lifespan from the battery.

I mainly work from home so it's very rare I'll take the laptop with me anywhere outside my home. Having no use for removing the laptop from my work desk means I'll have it plugged in 99% of the time with a power cable. I know there are varying opinions on whether the battery becomes damaged from not allowing it to be used fully but so far from my research everything indicates that as long as the unit is plugged into the power cable the battery will be in perfect health as the main source of energy is being drawn directly from the electrical outlet via power cable.

I'd like to have a healthy and happy battery in case I do decide to travel and take it with me, therefore it's important I know how to care for it now so when the time comes I can still get the best use out of the unit being powered on with the battery.

Some users report downloading an app called AlDente which allows you to set the max charge to 80% thus not stressing the battery by being completely charged, whereas other users say that the Mac already has a built in battery health monitor that helps keep the battery healthy.

My conclusion is that it's completely safe and non hazardous to leave the laptop plugged in as long as you let the battery decharge from time to ime. I think Apple has a built in safe feature that only pulls power from the power cable thus minimizing the use of the battery if any energy source from it at all. I remember the older models that had removable batteries were still functional without the battery plugged into it simply with getting enough energy from the power cable, but that was back in my dual-core days way before I owned anything this fast.

Thanks for any suggestions! All the best folks!

gim

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2014
First of all, the MBP 15 from 2015 is almost nine years old at this point. It will become obsolete and not receive any security updates by the end of this year as far as I know. So it makes absolutely zero sense to baby your battery, especially if it's brand-new.

Anyhow, AlDente is a great app. My 2014 MBP 15 is approaching its 10-year anniversary with the original battery. Roughly 1,000 cycles, 83% remaining capacity. I've set my max charge to 80% (or 50% when plugged in all day). So yes, you can get 10 years of service out of a battery, but that's irrelevant in your case.

Reactions: MacCheetah3

tashi_108

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2024
First of all, the MBP 15 from 2015 is almost nine years old at this point. It will become obsolete and not receive any security updates by the end of this year as far as I know. So it makes absolutely zero sense to baby your battery, especially if it's brand-new.

Anyhow, AlDente is a great app. My 2014 MBP 15 is approaching its 10-year anniversary with the original battery. Roughly 1,000 cycles, 83% remaining capacity. I've set my max charge to 80% (or 50% when plugged in all day). So yes, you can get 10 years of service out of a battery, but that's irrelevant in your case.
Just because something will no longer receive "security updates" doesn't make it obsolete. Besides, there are numerous other ways to receive "security" on you device with third party apps. So, your comment is not only laughable but show's a high sense of egotism and superiority over others. Not only are you assuming but also not being very supportive to a fellow Apple user. What seems illogical to me is your sense of logic my friend, which is highly out of date. Either you're a troll or someone who is immensely suffering and the only way you can relieve yourself is to talk **** online, which let me remind you is not what this or any other website is intended for. Have a nice rest of your life!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: HuNay and gim

gim

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2014
No, there is no way to receive security updates for a device that THE MANUFACTURER will categorize as obsolete in a few months. That's Apple's decision, not mine. So how about you take your anger out on them instead of someone who's just making you aware of this fact?

I'm not going to comment on the rest of your post and your pathetic accusations. Grow up, "friend".

tashi_108

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2024
No, there is no way to receive security updates for a device that THE MANUFACTURER will categorize as obsolete in a few months. That's Apple's decision, not mine. So how about you take your anger out on them instead of someone who's just making you aware of this fact?

I'm not going to comment on the rest of your post and your pathetic accusations. Grow up, "friend".
Again, not receiving security updates from the developer doesn't mean anything to me. You've obviously never heard of OpenCore, or a hackintosh. Where there's a will there's a way. That being said I have other ways of protecting my unit which you may or may not already be aware of. And that's fine, you are free to give me your opinion regardless of what I may think of it, this an open forum discussion after all. I just thought it was completely unnecessary to go on about security updates etc As a buyer I've considered all of my options before buying this unit so you can rest assured I knew what I was doing by installing a brand new battery ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.