Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What type of Macbook are you using?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dmnc

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2015
I just googled some board member and corporate email addresses and CC'ed them to everything and just kept going. At the end of the day, from a statistical research standpoint it is cheaper to retain customers than to get new ones. The customer is always right in retail and when they lose you, they lose a ton of future potential revenue because of there own mistakes.
[doublepost=1461911671][/doublepost]
At the end of the day, how long will that really take? who knows??? My point is if there is an issue like this, they should acknowledge it and limit the damage by offering temperporary solutions such as a quick updated or a one time apple approved APPROVED downgrade. Even though i got a new computer and I am happy, the way they are handling this is outrageous and makes me still have my doubts about them.
You can downgrade with no problems to any version of OS X, the lowest being the version your Mac shipped with. In 2015 models that is Yosemite.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
#freezegate works for me. lets get this on the front page of this site please?

Mods?

Anyone? lol

(I'm actually being serious, why has this not received front page news on this site?)

tips@macrumors.com

You might try sending an email to this address asking the editors to do an article. I think it would help to provide links to multiple sources reporting the issue also. Things like other long forum threads on the same thing. Perhaps Apple discussion forum threads.

AngryAppleFan

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2016
You can downgrade with no problems to any version of OS X, the lowest being the version your Mac shipped with. In 2015 models that is Yosemite.
Mine came shipped with El capitan so it would of been reverted to 10.11.4 and not an earlier version.. Either way, a new computer under warranty deserves to work without persistent errors. ... Especially because it is under warranty I did not want to have to do the leg work even if it may of been easy. I pay top dollar for a computer from a reputable company to work seamlessly to not then have to tinker with it to get it to work . I'd much rather spend the countless hours contacting Apple to fix THEIR problem, than have to on my own based on pure principle. In the end, i got what I wanted, a brand new computer.

Reactions: dmnc

dmnc

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2015
Mine came shipped with El capitan so it would of been reverted to 10.11.4 and not an earlier version.. Either way, a new computer under warranty deserves to work without persistent errors. ... Especially because it is under warranty I did not want to have to do the leg work even if it may of been easy. I pay top dollar for a computer from a reputable company to work seamlessly to not then have to tinker with it to get it to work . I'd much rather spend the countless hours contacting Apple to fix THEIR problem, than have to on my own based on pure principle. In the end, i got what I wanted, a brand new computer.
If it's under warranty it's your right to get what you paid for, I'm not disputing that. In my case the only solution was to manually downgrade from a backup. I'm mentioning that solution because some might find it useful.

Edit: You seemed to imply that the downgrade wasn't possible. And in 2015 models Yosemite can be installed.

Reactions: AngryAppleFan

AngryAppleFan

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2016
If it's under warranty it's your right to get what you paid for, I'm not disputing that. In my case the only solution was to manually downgrade from a backup. I'm mentioning that solution because some might find it useful.

Edit: You seemed to imply that the downgrade wasn't possible. And in 2015 models Yosemite can be installed.
I am almost 100% that you cannot downgrade to Yosemite if it came pre installed with El captan.When I called Apple Care they told me I could not go back to Yosemite. If I am wrong, someone post a link proving me and apple care otherwise....

Last edited:
Reactions: dmnc

dmnc

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2015
I am almost 100% that you cannot downgrade to Yosemite if it came pre installed with El captan.When I called Apple Care they told me I could not go back to Yosemite. If I am wrong, someone post a link proving me and apple care otherwise....
There's no need to prove you anything. I should've specified that I was referring to early 2015 models, in that case you can downgrade regardless of the OS that came installed. In the models that came AFTER El Capitan was released you can't. I don't know the exact model of your Mac.

EDIT: In any case, there should be no reason to downgrade. That's not the discussion. I would like to update my computer to the latest version...

Last edited:
Reactions: AngryAppleFan

TheArchodas

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2016
I just made an account to post my experience with this issue:
I have a rmbp 13 2014 model and it happened in all el cap versions. Everytime i remember it happening there was youtube involved and alot of times clossing the tab.
It caused a systen wide freeze leaving the cursor only moving. To unfreeze the system i would use the keyboad shortcut for force quit which would appear after some seconds, and with great delay i would kill safari and everything would return to normal (almost because a slight system wide slowness was there).
To fix this i would trash all the files suggested in other posts essentially making safari start fresh. And after some time (usually months) it would happen again.
This thing forced me to a clean install after 11.11.4 came hopping to fix it, but today it happened again involving the same factor-youtube.
I also noticed something else, before i went to wipe again safari files i would see that google search page was also acting weird-like slow load-scroll, failing to load stuff etc.
I dont know what else to think! Is it safari's fault, google is serving me bad stuff or my mac has hardware failure!

A few details for my setup: no flash was ever used in this mac, ublock was used everytime this would happen exept after the clean install which i never used ublock and went for adguard, 1password addon was also used lately.
I am thinking that adblockers (and content blockers as it seems) could be a factor and maybe google using **** to bypass them (they are known for crapping safari users before with shaddy tactics).

PS. Last forced quit generated a report for apple, i hope it helps find the cause!

dmnc

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2015
I just made an account to post my experience with this issue:
I have a rmbp 13 2014 model and it happened in all el cap versions. Everytime i remember it happening there was youtube involved and alot of times clossing the tab.
It caused a systen wide freeze leaving the cursor only moving. To unfreeze the system i would use the keyboad shortcut for force quit which would appear after some seconds, and with great delay i would kill safari and everything would return to normal (almost because a slight system wide slowness was there).
To fix this i would trash all the files suggested in other posts essentially making safari start fresh. And after some time (usually months) it would happen again.
This thing forced me to a clean install after 11.11.4 came hopping to fix it, but today it happened again involving the same factor-youtube.
I also noticed something else, before i went to wipe again safari files i would see that google search page was also acting weird-like slow load-scroll, failing to load stuff etc.
I dont know what else to think! Is it safari's fault, google is serving me bad stuff or my mac has hardware failure!

A few details for my setup: no flash was ever used in this mac, ublock was used everytime this would happen exept after the clean install which i never used ublock and went for adguard, 1password addon was also used lately.
I am thinking that adblockers (and content blockers as it seems) could be a factor and maybe google using **** to bypass them (they are known for crapping safari users before with shaddy tactics).

PS. Last forced quit generated a report for apple, i hope it helps find the cause!
I believe that we are experiencing similar but not the same issue. In my case, and of some of the others posting in this thread, the freeze is complete, you can't move your cursor, you can't force quit any app, nothing works. In your case seems looks like a Safari freeze. And in a lot of situations Safari isn't even involved. This particular problem appeared just in OS X 10.11.4.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
This particular problem appeared just in OS X 10.11.4.

It has been said before that it is still happening in 10.11.5 betas too. But that's probably been installed after 10.11.4.

So the bug was introduced in 10.11.4 and not fixed in 10.11.5 betas.

El Capitan betas are available as combos too, starting with the 10.11.2 betas.

So to ascertain if it is exclusively a 10.11.4 issue, maybe it would be better to downgrade to 10.11.3 and then install the 10.11.5 beta combo thereby skipping 10.11.4 altogether - and see if the problem persists.

It would be harder to install the beta this way, but I think the effort would be worth it so that we could say definitively either

"It is a bug exclusive to 10.11.4"

or

"It is a bug in 10.11.4 and 10.11.5".

Last edited:

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
It has been said before that it is still happening in 10.11.5 betas too. But that's probably been installed after 10.11.4.

So the bug was introduced in 10.11.4 and not fixed in 10.11.5 betas.

El Capitan betas are available as combos too, starting with the 10.11.2 betas.

So to ascertain if it is exclusively a 10.11.4 issue, maybe it would be better to downgrade to 10.11.3 and then install the 10.11.5 beta combo thereby skipping 10.11.4 altogether - and see if the problem persists.

It would be harder to install the beta this way, but I think the effort would be worth it so that we could say definitively either

"It is a bug exclusive to 10.11.4"

or

"It is a bug in 10.11.4 and 10.11.5".

remember, 10.11.5 pb3 has only been out 2 days, so...may be fixed, may not be. again, i had the crash once, in the 10.11.4 final. and not once (yet) in the 10.11.5 betas.

either way, a fix is essential, and would be nice if apple acknowledged the issue, and issued such a fix asap.

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
remember, 10.11.5 pb3 has only been out 2 days, so...may be fixed, may not be. again, i had the crash once, in the 10.11.4 final. and not once (yet) in the 10.11.5 betas.

either way, a fix is essential, and would be nice if apple acknowledged the issue, and issued such a fix asap.

I am aware that you have said before that you haven't had freezes yet in 10.11.5 betas. But are you aware that several other people have had freezes in the 10.11.5 betas? All three actually.

The method of installation I suggested before (from 10.11.3 to 10.11.5 beta combo, skipping 10.11.4) could be done to see if the problem is exclusively in 10.11.4 only - or in both 10.11.4 and 10.11.5.

Just updating from 10.11.4 to 10.11.5 beta isn't good enough because the bug introduced in 10.11.4 might still be there after updating to 10.11.5 and 10.11.5 might not be the source of the problem.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I am aware that you have said before that you haven't had freezes yet in 10.11.5 betas. But are you aware that several other people have had freezes in the 10.11.5 betas? All three actually.

The method of installation I suggested before (from 10.11.3 to 10.11.5 beta combo, skipping 10.11.4) could be done to see if the problem is exclusively in 10.11.4 only - or in both 10.11.4 and 10.11.5.

Just updating from 10.11.4 to 10.11.5 beta isn't good enough because the bug introduced in 10.11.4 might still be there after updating to 10.11.5 and 10.11.5 might not be the source of the problem.

it's been reported in pb3? where did you read that? (am asking, not arguing). anyway, apple really needs to deal with this...

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
Yeah. Already in pb3 too. (actually developer beta 3 but this is the same build as pb3)

Saw this on page 11:

Can't do the test with the new developper beta 3 but a buddy just texted me that the freezing bug is still not fixied, apparently.

But again I reckon people have just been updating 10.11.4 to 10.11.5 beta 1 then beta 2 then beta 3.

Not 10.11.3 to a 10.11.5 beta via combo update thereby skipping 10.11.4.

So unfortunately so far none of the betas can be seen as a fix.

It might still happen though. Maybe beta 4 might fix it. Apple are aware of the issue and might issue a fix in 10.11.5 or a supplemental update to 10.11.4.

Hopefully we won't have to wait for the public release of 10.11.5 and a 10.11.4 supplemental update would be a more timely way to deal with it.

I run the developer betas on a 2011 mba and 2014 mbp and have not been able to reproduce the freezing bug on my computers and have not therefore made a bug report. I don't have a 2015 machine to test it on. I know someone who has 2015 machine and on 10.11.4 too but don't feel comfortable asking him try out the 10.11.5 betas. He's had some freezing happen on his computer and I made him aware of this thread.

Last edited:

mb3152

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2014
Lugged my iMac to the genius bar. He had not dealt with the issue, with customers or in the store, and all the computers in the store were running 10.11.4 (I checked). He basically did what I did--delete everything and reinstall OS X. But he did it on their network, as I had had freezes during this process. He told me that it might not fix it, and to bring it back if it does not. It froze after about 45 seconds of use when I get home. Going back Sunday.

appleofmy"i"

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2010
This issue is driving me nuts. I don't feel safe doing work on my (13 inch bought in Oct. 2015) Macbook Pro. I have done clean installs (both on my own and in store by a genius). I've tried disk repair. I've tried using nothing but what ships stock with OS X. I've had the computer swapped out TWICE. Nothing seems to work.

I've talked to Rene Ritchie, a man who buys every new Mac, and he hasn't seen the same issues. So what little key are we missing?

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand

One has to keep in mind the fact that there was an issue with Spotify application so when people complain about freezing in the past and continuing to do it today they might be two different bugs. What ever the case maybe I've ended up selling off my MacBook Pro and iMac - ensuring that the system is stable should be a relatively simple operation given that Apple controls the hardware and software. We're here almost a month later and Apple hasn't bothered to own up to the problem and the moderators/editors at Macrumors would sooner ignore that a problem exists rather than report on it (which would raise the profile of the issue).

nicolasdeppe

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2016
I've had the exact same problem with a brand new MBP. Even got a replacement at Best Buy and the same thing happened with the new one. When I have music playing, it keeps playing but everything else is unresponsive. Let's hope Apple fixes this because it's friggin annoying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.