Resolved Macbook Pro 2015 with OSX El Capitan 10.11.4 system wide freeze (Read the details)

Discussion in 'OS X El Capitan (10.11)' started by Antonnn, Mar 25, 2016.

?

What type of Macbook are you using?

Poll closed May 18, 2016.
  1. Macbook Pro 13'' Retina Early 2015

50.7%
  2. Macbook Pro 15'' Retina Mid 2015

12.1%
  3. Other Macbook Pro

20.6%
  4. Other Macbook Air

8.8%
  5. Other Mac

11.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. SimonUK5 macrumors 6502

I got one of these weird freezes last night on my 11'' Air6.1. Super odd, first time its ever happened on this machine. Just hard rebooted and been fine since.

2. MLVC macrumors 6502a

MLVC

It happened less since I installed the beta (happened twice, installed it a week ago), but it's still happening.

3. patrikrajs, May 13, 2016
    Last edited: May 13, 2016
  4. edmundostudios macrumors newbie

5. benlambden macrumors newbie

benlambden

I joined just to say this is happening to me to, and mainly when browsing the web. It happens once a week or so. It is really frustrating

6. BorisL macrumors newbie

BorisL

Same here :(

7. TheUKDave macrumors newbie

TheUKDave

Hadn't realised this was a common issue until today. Not sure when I updated, but it's happened twice this week already, and yesterday to the guy sat next to me at work. We both use 15" MBP retina. Mine is early 2013, his is a year or so newer.

I can't remember what I was doing the first time around, but the second time I was using Skype. I'm a web dev, so I'll always have a browser or 2 open at any given time, but I don't think I was specifically browsing when the problem occurred for me. Either way, my main browser is Chrome.

8. Nshuya macrumors newbie

Nshuya

I also joined just to post about this. I use my MBPr '15 everyday and have at least 2 crashes every other day. Predominately only happens when I'm using Safari but it has happened in iTunes as well.

Very frustrating.

9. Lump macrumors newbie

Early 2015 13" Macbook Pro with Iris 6100 graphics

I thought I was the only one having this problem until I saw the tweet from Macrumors this morning.

Anyways, crashing twice a week using Safari, been to the Genius bar & called Apple Care twice but they haven't found anything wrong, senior tech had me upload ACCD. files to forward to engineering.

My Mackbook is connected to a 27" Cinema Display & Apple repeatedly wanted to blame the monitor for the freezing problem, I knew they were full of it & now after seeing this thread I realize I have waisted countless hours trying to chase down a problem that is clearly not of my doing.

10. Nate24193 macrumors newbie

I've also had the same freezing issues with this software version. I am using a 13" MacBook Pro (Early 2015). The system becomes completely unresponsive (cannot force close a single application). Called into Apple tech and didn't receive any good feedback. Hope a fix for this will be coming soon!

11. MI MacGuy macrumors regular

Why are these software issues progressively becoming more frequent and more serious as time goes on? I cannot believe that this issue has gone on for nearly two months so no end in sight. I have an early 2015 15" rMBP and if this issue was affecting my machine, I'd be losing my mind. Between this issue, other OS X issues, issues with iOS releases, I'm beginning to see why devs are saying that Apple's code quality is beginning to fall and I'm inclined to agree. I see bugs on my iPhone 6S Plus on a weekly basis and find myself restarting the device once or twice a month when I never used to have to on older iPhones.

I really hope this issue gets fixed for you guys!

12. flexiboy1912 macrumors newbie

flexiboy1912

--- Post Merged, May 13, 2016 ---
    Yes I can confirm it is fixed in this beta release. I didn't even know there was a problem :)

13. MrNomNoms macrumors 65816

Almost two months of Macrumors Editors ignoring the problem they finally create a story - really.

14. dealmaker macrumors regular

I've had this problem in my 2015 15" Retina for over a month now - so glad to hear its not just me - I was worried it was a quality fault with my machine.

15. Dr. James macrumors member

Wow, apparently they waited for the last beta to fix it to JUST THEN create a story.

16. Foxdie8 macrumors newbie

17. kevandjamie macrumors newbie

In case some apple intern ever goes through these comments to try to diagnose this problem, I'm throwing down my info:

Running mid 2014 Macbook Pro 13, 8 GB RAM, 2.8 GhZ, 512 SSD etc etc.

I know when a freeze is going to happen because MenuMeters will show all my processors running at 100%, then everything stops becoming responsive.

Looking at logs, it looked like Chrome was misbehaving, so I deleted it, but still got a crash the next day.

I occasionally use Duet Display to use an iPad as a second monitor in a pinch. The last freeze I had (a couple days ago) was fixed when I noticed my processes running at 100%, and I immediately unplugged my iPad. So maybe Duet Display is one of the programs/apps that might trigger this behavior.

I'm hopeful that the next update will fix it (beta users are saying it is working so far), but in case it doesn't. I thought I'd throw down my info! Peace out!

18. dealmaker macrumors regular

Mine always seems to happen when I am using Safari.

19. ronoman macrumors newbie

Using a mid-2012 MBP and have had random freezes in Safari since 10.11.4 update.

20. imactor macrumors newbie

imactor

I've experienced it 3 times: all of them running Safari. My machine is a MacBook Pro 13" Retina Early-2015 in OS X 10.11.4.

21. Alberto Zavala macrumors newbie

Same here, when using Final Cut Pro X my mac dies almost every 10 min or so.

22. Jammer005 macrumors newbie

We have 2 early 2015 MacBook Pros in our family and they have both been freezing intermittently since the update. I have captured System Error logs but didn't see any consistency though I'm not a pro at reading them. Safari is always running at the time of freeze.

23. jase1125 macrumors regular

And the next time a Windows box has a problem we will hear laughter about how Mac never has the same problems as Windows machines. Luckily, my Macbook Pro's aren't running into this issue.

24. Mactrek69 macrumors newbie

WOW, running El capitan 10.11.4, never have an issue on MBP (late 2013) 15" 16GB/512.
    occasionally safari contextual menu have a slow response, but nothing more.

Hope apple give you a solution soon.
    cheers

25. durrace macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, May 13, 2016 ---
    I'm experiencing exactly the same (random seldom lockups) on my new Macbook 2016 top end model, requiring hard re-boot.