Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What type of Macbook are you using?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Getting this as well on my 2015 Air. This morning it happened and then happened again less than a minute after using Safari following a forced reboot. Really frustrating, happens several times a day.

registered

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2006
This issue is killing me. It seems so at random and only started happening after 10.11.4 update. Mouse cursor still moves, audio still plays in background if it was playing, but all windows are frozen and can't keyboard shortcut to force quit/relaunch anything. Here's what I tend to notice in Console when it happens:

- apsd[88]: MessageTracer: load_domain_prefix_whitelist:120: Missing default whitelist file: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CrashReporterSupport.framework/Resources/SubmitDiagInfo.default.domains
- watchdogd[467]: [watchdog_daemon] @(_wd_daemon_service_thread) - service (com.apple.WindowServer) reported as unresponsive

How are people downgrading to 10.11.3? Do I just download the 10.11.3 combo updater and run it? Can someone recommend how to downgrade (I don't use Time Machine.)?

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
This issue is killing me. It seems so at random and only started happening after 10.11.4 update. Mouse cursor still moves, audio still plays in background if it was playing, but all windows are frozen and can't keyboard shortcut to force quit/relaunch anything. Here's what I tend to notice in Console when it happens:

- apsd[88]: MessageTracer: load_domain_prefix_whitelist:120: Missing default whitelist file: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CrashReporterSupport.framework/Resources/SubmitDiagInfo.default.domains
- watchdogd[467]: [watchdog_daemon] @(_wd_daemon_service_thread) - service (com.apple.WindowServer) reported as unresponsive

How are people downgrading to 10.11.3? Do I just download the 10.11.3 combo updater and run it? Can someone recommend how to downgrade (I don't use Time Machine.)?

Interesting, what model of Mac do you have? using a mouse, magic pad or one of those new touch pads with 3d touch? My iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) has been rock solid but my MacBook Pro with the force touch has been crashing like crazy since moving to 10.11.4 with Safari - the crash also occurs if I use Chrome with Flash but if I disable flash and force the use of the built in h264 decoder then everything seems to work ok.

JesperA

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
Sweden
has anyone tried the 'safari technology preview'? am gonna install that later today, try running it as my default browser...
I have not had any problem with STP, i have used it alot since it came out and not a single freeze, with regular Safari my iMac freezes several times per day

Buggyflayer

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2014
West Sussex, UK
My Mid 2012 MacBook Air has also started crashing while using Safari since the 10.11.4 update. It locks up then reboots. Sometimes it recovers so the Safari tabs are all back and it is stable. Once it brought it all back up & then promptly crashed again!

I've reported it on Apple's feedback page too.

registered

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2006
Interesting, what model of Mac do you have? using a mouse, magic pad or one of those new touch pads with 3d touch? My iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) has been rock solid but my MacBook Pro with the force touch has been crashing like crazy since moving to 10.11.4 with Safari - the crash also occurs if I use Chrome with Flash but if I disable flash and force the use of the built in h264 decoder then everything seems to work ok.

Macbook Pro Retina 15" 2014 model. Using a Magic Mouse but I have a new Magic Trackpad 2 connected but turned off.

Suspended
Mar 30, 2015
Any updates regarding this situation? I've had three freezes within the last few days. Ugh. Very frustrating.

Last edited:

MrNomNoms

macrumors 65816
Jan 25, 2011
Wellington, New Zealand
Macbook Pro Retina 15" 2014 model. Using a Magic Mouse but I have a new Magic Trackpad 2 connected but turned off.

Interesting, I have a 2015 MacBook Pro 13.3" with the pressure sensitive touch pad and when it freezes up the whole pad is frozen as well.

Quick question: Does your 15" have a discrete GPU in it? have you tried running it by forcing OS X to use the discrete GPU instead of the built in Intel GPU? it would be interesting to see whether the same crash is repeatable when using a non-Intel GPU.

Tacite

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2013
I'm in touch with a dev from Apple.
To everyone experiencing freeze with latest El Capitan stable version + Safari Technology Preview, please :

- Do a sysdiagnose when the machine is frozen (Shift-Control-Option-Command-Period).
After hitting all those keys, don't turn off the machine for 10 minutes.
Then reboot and go to /var/tmp/sysdiagnoseTIMESTAMP.tar.gz
Post that file here.

Thanks

Reactions: 952863 and Foxdie8

ajaan

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2013
Also having this problem on a 2015 MBP 13-inch. No problems before 10.11.4.

Always freezes, beachballs in Safari which then affects the whole OS.

It just froze again, only this time the Force Touch trackpad stopped working (it wouldn't click as if the computer was off) even though everything was on.

I had to hold down the power button and force the computer off.

10.11.4 has something wrong with it.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I'm in touch with a dev from Apple.
To everyone experiencing freeze with latest El Capitan stable version + Safari Technology Preview, please :

- Do a sysdiagnose when the machine is frozen (Shift-Control-Option-Command-Period).
After hitting all those keys, don't turn off the machine for 10 minutes.
Then reboot and go to /var/tmp/sysdiagnoseTIMESTAMP.tar.gz
Post that file here.

Thanks

will def do this, if/when....

mantelvaviz

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2011
It's sad that from now on I will have to wait at least 1 month after every Apple software update release before installing it with confidence. In the last weeks they failed both iOS and OSX updates...

got556

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2013
Indiana
I was having this issue on 10.11.3 with safari but .4 update fixed it entirely for me (Early 2015 MBPr). I hope Apple gets this fixed or there is a fix found for you all having issues. I know how annoying it can be. Youtube was one of the worst offenders of it for me on the .3 software, and then also when closing or changing a tab in safari.

registered

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2006
Interesting, I have a 2015 MacBook Pro 13.3" with the pressure sensitive touch pad and when it freezes up the whole pad is frozen as well.

Quick question: Does your 15" have a discrete GPU in it? have you tried running it by forcing OS X to use the discrete GPU instead of the built in Intel GPU? it would be interesting to see whether the same crash is repeatable when using a non-Intel GPU.

I can't – I use an external display with my MBP so it always defaults to the discrete GPU.

Suspended
Mar 30, 2015
It's sad that from now on I will have to wait at least 1 month after every Apple software update release before installing it with confidence. In the last weeks they failed both iOS and OSX updates...
It's unfortunate this error happened, but hey at least it isn't Windows right? :p

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
I was having this issue on 10.11.3 with safari but .4 update fixed it entirely for me (Early 2015 MBPr). I hope Apple gets this fixed or there is a fix found for you all having issues. I know how annoying it can be. Youtube was one of the worst offenders of it for me on the .3 software, and then also when closing or changing a tab in safari.

interesting. i never had this happen until 10.11.4 (and the final release, never happened for me in the betas). anyway, will see if (here, anyway), the tech preview makes any difference...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.