Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CarlG95

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
United Kingdom
Hi all,

So I've had my 2016 MacBook Pro since Dec 7th. Love it...
Just interested to know if anyone else has noticed a noticeable click/cracking noise when you're opening the lid of the laptop? Also, there seems to be the odd click during the first half an hour or so of use.

Im not sure if this could be because the machine is heating up slightly or whatever but the click with the lid, bit strange... Only seem to happen when the lid has been closed for a while.

Could be nothing!

Kjung7

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2013
Nothing some WD-40 can't fix lol

If it's of concern have Apple check out in store. It shouldn't be making sounds when you open the lid.

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
I've started to notice the odd pop/crack sound in the last few days when in operation and with the lid closed with the app power cable connected.

Not sure what's going on.

Reactions: Dydegu and CarlG95

Raptura

Suspended
Sep 6, 2008
Toronto, Canada / London, UK
I'm glad I saw this as the last few days I've noticed a click noise when opening the lid, but not every time, and then also hearing the same sound when not even touching it. Obviously it has me paranoid, especially since I have no other complaints about my machine. I can tell it's a sound coming from the chassis, perhaps the hinge, but not sure why it's occurring especially when it occurs when I'm not moving it.

davidcmc

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2009
Hi all,

So I've had my 2016 MacBook Pro since Dec 7th. Love it...
Just interested to know if anyone else has noticed a noticeable click/cracking noise when you're opening the lid of the laptop? Also, there seems to be the odd click during the first half an hour or so of use.

Im not sure if this could be because the machine is heating up slightly or whatever but the click with the lid, bit strange... Only seem to happen when the lid has been closed for a while.

Could be nothing!

Mine does the same thing when I open it. Especially when I don't open it for a while.

Mine also does the exact same thing when I haven't opened it for a while.

If I close and open it again, there's no click/crack noise. If I leave it closed for some time (I haven't tested the exact amount of time required to reproduce the noise) and open, I hear the click/crack noise.

Important to note that my 13" non-Touch Bar MBP 2016 is always connected to the wall electricity plug. I'll test again without the electricity plug.

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
Mine sounds like graffixnyc's but not as often. Opening and closing the lid doesn't make it happen.

I think the SSD is in this region too.

Not sure what to do, maybe exchange it?

keff

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2016
Long time reader, first time poster. Thought I'd chime in on this as I (think) I have the same issue - when I'm in a quieter environment I'll be better able to tell.

In any case I've recently noticed a sharp cracking/knock sound, almost a mechanical "thunk" in its character. I initially thought it might be the speaker issue a few people have reported when run in Bootcamp. It may well be that, but I've had the updated Bootcamp drivers since day one and been running well over a month without issues, so I'm not 100% sure. As of yet the speakers themselves aren't producing any distortion at any volume.

A few observations:

- It happens in both Mac OS and Windows
- It has occurred once on the boot up selection screen
- For me it appears to come from the middle of the laptop and not noticeably from any given side (although I'm not ruling out a malfunctioning speaker)
- Need to do further testing but so far I've only noticed it when plugged in, but I haven't yet tested the ports on the right hand side. Will report back.
- First noticed it in Windows and after I connected my PlayStation 4 controller via Bluetooth. It didn't happen immediately after, so could be coincidental. I only mention it as I saw a post somewhere about the Xbox One controller registering as a USB audio device, which subsequently caused a blown speaker on someone's MBP 2016 and so not sure if this is a similar issue...
- Have noticed it only one when opening the lid.

My spec is fully max and took delivery on 29/11. I've used it fairly regularly since then without any issues, with a mixture of productivity tasks in Mac OS and gaming in Windows. Hope this helps.

Raptura

Suspended
Sep 6, 2008
To add to what I said before, I'll sometimes here the click/knock sound and then lift my laptop soon after, and it does the noise again. It seems to me as if it has something to do with the chassis/hinge. I know the new MacBook Pros have clips on the inside, which hold the bottom shell in place, along with the screws, so I was thinking it might be that.

I don't know what the issue is but it hasn't affected my machine in any way performance-wise yet.

Reactions: CarlG95

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
To add to what I said before, I'll sometimes here the click/knock sound and then lift my laptop soon after, and it does the noise again. It seems to me as if it has something to do with the chassis/hinge. I know the new MacBook Pros have clips on the inside, which hold the bottom shell in place, along with the screws, so I was thinking it might be that.

I don't know what the issue is but it hasn't affected my machine in any way performance-wise yet.

I don't have it when opening/closing the lid. It happens when using the machine with the lid open or when it's chargeing with the lid closed.

I'm debating exchanging but I don't want other issues like dings/bad screen/faulty keys!

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2016
Is it more of a creek type noise? If so, I have had this at various points with all of my aluminium bodied macs. My 2015 was particularly bad in this regard but I just put it down to expanding and contracting materials due to temperature fluctuations. I have heard it occasionally with the 2016 and I have not had any malfunctions in design due to it.

Reactions: CarlG95

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
Is it more of a creek type noise? If so, I have had this at various points with all of my aluminium bodied macs. My 2015 was particularly bad in this regard but I just put it down to expanding and contracting materials due to temperature fluctuations. I have heard it occasionally with the 2016 and I have not had any malfunctions in design due to it.

No, it's more of a sudden pop noise. Actually, it sounds like a key being released. It could actually be the keyboard, one of the butterfly keys having not fully released then pops.

If you hit the trackpad with the edge of your nail - that's the exact sound of the pop. Could also be a slight problem with the force touch pads?

Raptura

Suspended
Sep 6, 2008
No, it's more of a sudden pop noise. Actually, it sounds like a key being released. It could actually be the keyboard, one of the butterfly keys having not fully released then pops.

If you hit the trackpad with the edge of your nail - that's the exact sound of the pop. Could also be a slight problem with the force touch pads?

I first heard it when I was playing Minecraft on the Mac, I thought it was the sound of me placing down a stone brick (not sure if you're familiar with how that sounds). The pop I hear sounds very similar to that.

Reactions: Quasselstripper

graffixnyc

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2016
ÜT: 40.757618,-73.790043
Mine sounds like graffixnyc's but not as often. Opening and closing the lid doesn't make it happen.

I think the SSD is in this region too.

Not sure what to do, maybe exchange it?
Mine isn't really as often as it is in my video. My video is 3 different clips I edited into one to show Apple Support. I chatted with with support yesterday and showed her the video. She said there should be no clicking sound like that coming from the unit. She suggested a SMC reset and if it persisted then bring it in for an exchange. I did that and still hear the click so I'm off to the Apple Store for another exchange today. This will be my 4th exchange. :-( First one had this clicking sound so I exchanged it, the next unit was scratched out of the box and had a pinkish hue to the screen but no click, and my 3rd unit has the click. That's what prompted me to chat in with support and ask if the clicking I was hearing was normal since I've never owned a Mac.

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
Mine isn't really as often as it is in my video. My video is 3 different clips I edited into one to show Apple Support. I chatted with with support yesterday and showed her the video. She said there should be no clicking sound like that coming from the unit. She suggested a SMC reset and if it persisted then bring it in for an exchange. I did that and still hear the click so I'm off to the Apple Store for another exchange today. This will be my 4th exchange. :-( First one had this clicking sound so I exchanged it, the next unit was scratched out of the box and had a pinkish hue to the screen but no click, and my 3rd unit has the click. That's what prompted me to chat in with support and ask if the clicking I was hearing was normal since I've never owned a Mac.

I've just been to the Apple Store and replaced my unit. Thus far, so good. This one is flawless keyboard, screen and cosmetic wise thus I'm happy. Screen is slightly better too.

graffixnyc

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2016
ÜT: 40.757618,-73.790043
I've just been to the Apple Store and replaced my unit. Thus far, so good. This one is flawless keyboard, screen and cosmetic wise thus I'm happy. Screen is slightly better too.
Nice, I just exchanged mine again hopefully this one will be good.. I'll know when I get home. The store was too packed I didn't want to check it there. Haha

CarlG95

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
United Kingdom
Sounds like a lot of people are having similar issues in regards to this thunk when opening the lid. Im 99% sure that the noise being experienced by myself is not a internal one (SSD, or anything like that), and that is it something to do with the hinge/lid.

Those that have replied to my initial post have also outlined more instances as to when this noise can be heard;
Picking the laptop up after a little while etc... You're spot on and this is exactly the same with me.
Same goes for the person who stated that this thunk can only be heard the first time lifting the lid. Exactly the same here.
You hear the clunk, close the lid and then open it again, the second time of opening is without the thunk.

Really strange! Whilst this doest impact the look or performance of the Laptop, I just hope that in the long run this won't mess up the hinge/display.

Having had the late 2010 13" MBP, my initial thought was that the click was the internals locking into place (a feature that laptop had to prevent damage to the hard drive) but upon realising that this laptop was SSD and internals were soldered down I realised it can't be this.

So yeah, everyone that everyone else has added to my initial post, I second everything (apart from the clicking from the internals that warranted the replacement). Hopefully that won't happen.
Definitely something to keep an eye on!

cityboy-100

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2016
Mine does it too.

Is it the rubber dust gusset sticking to the aluminum case? Maybe it's because the rubber is new or the laptops are new and clean? I thought it was the magnets knocking around in the case at first.

Could also be related to thermal expansion of some materials when warm v. cool after being off for a while.

CarlG95

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
United Kingdom
Mine does it too.

Is it the rubber dust gusset sticking to the aluminum case? Maybe it's because the rubber is new or the laptops are new and clean? I thought it was the magnets knocking around in the case at first.

Could also be related to thermal expansion of some materials when warm v. cool after being off for a while.

I thought that at first in regards to the rubber and what you're saying about expansion sounds totally plausible.
If thats all it is then fine, however my 1st 2016 MBP which needed replacing due to a dead pixel issue didn't have this clunk upon opening and I don't recall any other noises. I did only have that for a few days mind...

rTHIS

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2016
Portugal
Ok, i've got the same issue, check it at 0:07:

It's sounds like a electrostatic discharge and it's completely random.

This is my second macbook with exact the same issue. I've tried:
- Reset SMC
- Reset NVRAM
- Reset OS
- Connect to an official power adapter with a ground connector

i'm 99% sure that the problem is related with the speakers, because every time i connect the headphones i never heard any click/crack noise.

In my opinion this is a hardware design fault related with the speakers, may be it could be fixed with a firmware upgrade... in worst case scenario with a new hardware revision.

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
I had the exact same noise on my MBP. I narrowed it down to the lid because putting slight pressure on the middle of the lid at the bottom near the hinge made the same sound. I was also getting occasional issues with it not charging when plugged in, a few kernel panics, and of course the battery life that I finally decided to return it. Since there were no MBPs in stock in any of the Apple stores near me I got a 12" MacBook (which I had before the MBP). I may get the MBP again, but it's been a relief to have multiple days of no issues with MacBook compared to the persistent issues with the MBP I had.

davidcmc

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2009
Ok, i've got the same issue, check it at 0:07:

It's sounds like a electrostatic discharge and it's completely random.

This is my second macbook with exact the same issue. I've tried:
- Reset SMC
- Reset NVRAM
- Reset OS
- Connect to an official power adapter with a ground connector

i'm 99% sure that the problem is related with the speakers, because every time i connect the headphones i never heard any click/crack noise.

In my opinion this is a hardware design fault related with the speakers, may be it could be fixed with a firmware upgrade... in worst case scenario with a new hardware revision.

This is not the same issue the OP has posted.

Our issue is related to a crack noise when we open the lid, after the laptop's been closed for a while, and it's plugged on the power cord.

The crack noise comes from the middle upper part of the lid (above FaceTime camera), the same spot that's touched when we put the finger to raise the lid.

Actually, not only I hear the crack noise, I can also FEEL just a little bit of crack inside that part of the lid.

Maybe it's something with magnets and metal parts inside the lid and the main chassi of the nTB MBP. Maybe it's something with the rubber strip that surrounds the lid.

Closing the lid and immediately raising it again doesn't make the noise again. We need to keep it closed for a while (maybe minutes or hours, I'm not sure) and open again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.