MacBook Pro 2018 Keyboards - Reliable?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hululu, Aug 11, 2018.

1. hululu macrumors member

hululu

So I've been one of those really affected by the 2016-2017 keyboard failures on the MacBook pro, had numerous replacement keyboards (I'm very careful and clean with them), until the point that I gave up and sold my 2017 MacBook Pro. Waiting for the new keyboards instead!

With the new MacBook pro 2018 and keyboards out, Havent seen a single thread complaining about any defects on the 2018 MacBook pro keyboards, in terms of usability.

How is it so far, anyone experiencing any issues with them (sticky key, unresponsive key, repeated key input...) ?

2. darkmatter343 macrumors regular

I have the 15" 2018, so far zero issues, and I do consider my place a bit more dusty due to my cat. I think we'll need to wait a few more months to really gauge how well this membrane helps. On another note, I don't like the dampened sound, I much preferred the 2nd get louder keys.

3. hululu thread starter macrumors member

hululu

Thanks for the input.

I remember we had some keyboard issues early on ( i was also a part of them). I guess this is a good sign then.

4. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

The question:
    "MacBook Pro 2018 Keyboards - Reliable?"

Answer:
    As yet... unknown.

Ask again in 1-2 years.
    There should be reliable data by then.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

My 2017 keyboard was bad right out of the box. THREE replacements.

My 2018 MBP keyboard has been perfect. Not one problem.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Too early to tell in all honesty. The issues that cropped up on the 2016 and 2017 laptops didn't appear for months. We'll have to wait and see

7. csurfr macrumors 68020

When I owned the 2016 I went through 4 I think within the first 30 days. Problem after problem. I didn’t have a single issue with my 2017, and the 2018 has been great. As you say, time will tell. Here’s hoping that is resolved.

Now if we can just get some sort of resolution to the bugs that the 2018 is experiencing for some.

8. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

Just curious what problems you had four times in a row with 2016?

9. csurfr macrumors 68020

The first one crashed every time it went to sleep, the second, third, and fourth had issues with the keys. High pitched or squeaky when the machine heated up, and the chassis "popping" noise that others' had.

Edit: My 2017 was essentially flawless, and to be honest, I feel the same way about my 2018 even though I have a random BridgeOS issue once in a blue moon.

10. Ashka macrumors 6502a

Ashka

Had mine since 19th July.. everything works as expected..
    15' Space Grey, i7 & 32GB Ram.... it replaced a 2015 13" MBP for extra Screen real estate for spreadsheets & photos..

11. Einkoro macrumors member

Einkoro

12. DougFNJ macrumors 65816

DougFNJ

I had a 2017 MacBook Pro with zero issues, my 2018 13" Macbook pro, also no issues.

13. apiro macrumors regular

I now have maxed out MBP 13" 2018. Some keys double press. FML.

I'm not sure if this is as per bad design again or an isolated issue with my unit.

14. fokmik macrumors 68040

I dont think its too early now....a lot of people has it for months and its clear more "reliable" because the 2016 versions, after just 2 weeks from release, a lot of people has a lot of issues
    So, from that stand point, the answer is yes..
    From time perspective, we have to wait another year i think

15. jerryk macrumors 601

So far no issues with key registration on my 2018 15”. Hoping it stays that way.

16. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

I'm on my third which is going to be replaced with a fourth next week due to keyboard failures. Interestingly, the only problem I had with rMB 2016 was needing compressed air twice. Husby is using it now, and he's the "but why wouldn't I eat cookies over my laptop?" sort of person. I don't even eat in the same building just in case :p

No, I don't hammer the keys (except "D" in the second MBP I had). No, I don't sit in a dusty environment. No, I don't use a keyboard cover or anything like that. But I type up to 12 hours a day. Unshaky works really well – catches about 40 repetitions a day – but I keep having to add more keys to it. Right now it's E, I, O, A, R, and space bar. All sometimes register twice, but "I" is starting to just not register at all, and obviously Unshaky won't help with that.

I'm wondering if it's possible for me to be super unlucky, because it does look like very few people have any complaints about this keyboard. Perhaps it's just that I type a lot and most people don't?

17. SDColorado, Oct 5, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2018

SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

I didn’t have as many keys fail as Naivara, perhaps only because I returned mine before they could.

But it seems the keyboard issues, while perhaps lessened, are not completely fixed either.

It is disappointing that this is where we are still at with the Butterfly keyboards. Having to explain how hard or soft we press the keys, having to justify the type of environment (dusty or outside), having to add disclaimers about whether we ever took a bite out of cookie near it or whether our cat or dog may have passed to close and a stray hair landed on it.

Sad times

18. seeforyourself macrumors 6502

Did they replace the laptop with a 2018 after the 3rd repair? Or did you buy a new one?

I'm going to be on repair #2

19. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

After my third keyboard went bad I asked the manager to refund my money and he told me he could not do that. My lawyer wrote him a letter and he changed his mind. I waited until 2018 to buy another MBPro 15 and the keyboard has been perfect!

20. seeforyourself macrumors 6502

Ugh! I hope it will be as easy for me! I had an issue with my space bar and right afterwards my F key double clicks or does't work. I'm hoping I can get the new one so the keyboard won't have any issues in the future! Also the I9 is pretty nice ;)

21. IdentityCrisis Suspended

Doesn't seem that way. I bought a used 2015 MBP 13" to get me by till at least Apple makes a better laptop with a good keyboard.

22. navaira macrumors 68040

navaira

Prepare for a LONG wait :/

23. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I wish you good luck. Be nice and polite and escalate to the manager if you need.

24. IdentityCrisis Suspended

Yeah, sadly that maybe the case. :(

25. seeforyourself macrumors 6502

When I went there today the girl cleaned it with an air can. It worked, but I still have an issue with the high pitched clicking noises with the Y button. She even mentioned that it was something in there, but I got the keyboard replaced a week ago! She even said it was a design flaw... uhm hello?! I expect a refund for that statement.