Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tangfish

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
I just came here to check on accounts of keyboard failures on the 2018 as I’m nearing the cutoff for being able to add AppleCare.

I’m a little nervous even though mine hasn’t had any problems yet because I had a 2016 that was fine for the first 9 months, then needed 3 keyboard replacements in the subsequent 9 months before I caved in and upgraded just to try to avoid further keyboard issues. That upgrade ended up costing me 2 grand which was unpleasant.

So, do I drop the $379 as a hedge against future keyboard failures or just wing it and hope it’s been resolved? The 2018 is not included in the keyboard replacement program (yet).

macjunk(ie)

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
I just came here to check on accounts of keyboard failures on the 2018 as I’m nearing the cutoff for being able to add AppleCare.

I’m a little nervous even though mine hasn’t had any problems yet because I had a 2016 that was fine for the first 9 months, then needed 3 keyboard replacements in the subsequent 9 months before I caved in and upgraded just to try to avoid further keyboard issues. That upgrade ended up costing me 2 grand which was unpleasant.

So, do I drop the $379 as a hedge against future keyboard failures or just wing it and hope it’s been resolved? The 2018 is not included in the keyboard replacement program (yet).
AppleCare is no longer a matter of choice. It is mandatory in my opinion; especially with these soldered machines

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
tangfish wrote:
"I just came here to check on accounts of keyboard failures on the 2018 as I’m nearing the cutoff for being able to add AppleCare."

It is unknown yet as to how much better the 2018 design keyboard is compared to the 2016/17 keyboards. Not enough "time in the field" yet.

My -guess- is that -- if the 2018 keyboard starts to experience an unusually high number of failures -- that Apple will just "roll the 2018's" into the existing keyboard replacement program. But that's only a guess.

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
After the previous three keyboards failing on me I feel a bit sick at the thought of buying Applecare in addition to already having a €2989 (I upgraded to 1TB to see if a different model works better) computer that's so unreliable. If I'm going to use it for 3 weeks, then return it to Apple for 3 weeks, then repeat this for three years...I will have to learn to stop worrying and love the Windows.

tangfish

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Yeah, I guess I’m not gonna cave and buy applecare solely for fear of yet another defective keyboard. Screw that!

happyslayer

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2008
Glendale, AZ
Got the 2018 15” base model about 60 days ago and NO keyboard issues at all.

Also, I love the feel and sound of the gen 3. Have owned both gen 1 and gen 2 in 12” MacBooks and this is nicer.

zoom25

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2018
I finally put in an order for a silver 15" after testing out the 13" Pro and the Surface Laptop 2. The 15" is what I've been accustomed to for over a decade and it's still my favourite machine on the market for a variety of reasons. Hoping for a good piece!

I've tested over 10 of these at various stores quite extensively with regards to the keyboard and there definitely is some variation. There were 2 or 3 that were rather flat and without a good 'recoil' coming from the bottom, which really messed me up and gave me constant mistakes. Absolutely no rhythm. I'm not sure if that's unit to unit variation or if it's a result of that keyboard eventually becoming like that. I'd like to think it's unit to unit variation rather than the keys transforming since at least all the preferred keyboards and bad keyboards were consistent across all their keys. If this was a transformational thing, you would expect for some keys to behave differently than others within the same keyboard.

Fingers crossed!

Jinx Mac

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2018
San Anselmo, CA
So I've been one of those really affected by the 2016-2017 keyboard failures on the MacBook pro, had numerous replacement keyboards (I'm very careful and clean with them), until the point that I gave up and sold my 2017 MacBook Pro. Waiting for the new keyboards instead!

With the new MacBook pro 2018 and keyboards out, Havent seen a single thread complaining about any defects on the 2018 MacBook pro keyboards, in terms of usability.

How is it so far, anyone experiencing any issues with them (sticky key, unresponsive key, repeated key input...) ?
I am on my 4th 2018 MBP all 4 have gone back for sticky keeeys. Oh, and seee that? This one ewill be going back as well.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Well that's just the quality we can now expect from Apple...

Q-6

A lot of "me too" replies in that thread. Some having the repeating key problems, some having the no input issues as I was having.

This response is classic though "I don't know either that or my keyboard usage has evolved but it mostly doesn't repeat anymore.... As long as the Mac doesn't start to heat up."

In short, don't use your Mac and all will be fine :)

Queen6

macrumors G4
A lot of "me too" replies in that thread. Some having the repeating key problems, some having the no input issues as I was having.

This response is classic though "I don't know either that or my keyboard usage has evolved but it mostly doesn't repeat anymore.... As long as the Mac doesn't start to heat up."

In short, don't use your Mac and all will be fine :)

Simply a joke at this stage and exemplifies Apples arrogance. Subjectively terrible to type on, objectively unreliable. These keyboards were designed first and foremost to allow Apple to deliver thinner a classis to market, not improve the typing experience.

If such extremely low throw keyboards were ergonomically beneficial, offered greater accuracy & speed professional typists would have been using them for years, they don't and for good reason. Apple should go out and purchase a few ThinkPad's even a Surface Book, dissect the keyboards and come up with a new keyboard that's designed for the usage scenario's it's sales and marketing people keep cooking up. If that then results in the MBP being a fraction of an inch thicker so be it, Pro my Arse...

Q-6

Last edited:

zmon

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2013
Louisiana
Mentioned in the other thread that the 2018 MBP I bought in August started having issues in October with the space bar giving me double spaces. Apple opted to just give me a new laptop instead of repairing my old one. Considering this is the first MBP I've bought sine the mid 2010 model I had, I'm not too enthusiastic about it lasting as long as that one did. Luckily, I guess I can purchase AC+ now since I didn't for my original.

Can at least say the typing experience isn't really ideal, but I'm also using a mechanical keyboard on my desktop so that may be hurting that a bit.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
The unreliable nature of the keyboard is what made me sell my MBP 2016 at a staggering loss, for peace of mind. Now I am using my MBP 2011 15" at the desk, and there is peace of mind. When the GPU blows off, I will get a Windows laptop or a secondhand MacBook (Pro) to tide me over while the keyboard is being reassessed.

Three whole months, and for my use at the desk, the old computer is working just fine. Not missing the MBP 2016 at all, so long as I am tied to the desk. ;)

Reactions: Newtons Apple

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
So I've been one of those really affected by the 2016-2017 keyboard failures on the MacBook pro, had numerous replacement keyboards (I'm very careful and clean with them), until the point that I gave up and sold my 2017 MacBook Pro. Waiting for the new keyboards instead!

With the new MacBook pro 2018 and keyboards out, Havent seen a single thread complaining about any defects on the 2018 MacBook pro keyboards, in terms of usability.

How is it so far, anyone experiencing any issues with them (sticky key, unresponsive key, repeated key input...) ?

I was also affected and had to return my 2017 MBPro.

My 2018 has been perfect. Not a single issue.

Reactions: macintoshmac

Appledoesnotlisten

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2017

What if instead of dropping $379 on the keyboard we just sell the machine when warranty is up? You will lose say $450, but you get an updated machine with a warranty.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Simply a joke at this stage and exemplifies Apples arrogance. Subjectively terrible to type on, objectively unreliable. These keyboards were designed first and foremost to allow Apple to deliver thinner a classis to market, not improve the typing experience.

If such extremely low throw keyboards were ergonomically beneficial, offered greater accuracy & speed professional typists would have been using them for years, they don't and for good reason. Apple should go out and purchase a few ThinkPad's even a Surface Book, dissect the keyboards and come up with a new keyboard that's designed for the scenario's it's sales and marketing people keep cooking up. If that then results in the MBP being a fraction of an inch thicker so be it, Pro my Arse...

Q-6

I have a feeling we are only seeing the beginning of the keyboard problems. Rather than truly fix the issue, I think Apple delayed the inevitable with the keyboard condoms. So now they aren't failing as quickly, but the failures are beginning to roll in. Kind of like standing under a water-resistant tarp in a rainstorm. It will keep you dry longer than no-tarp, but once the water starts to leak through, your gonna get wet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.