Macbook Pro AppleCare on eBay

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hazyb71, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Hazyb71 macrumors member

I'm considering buying my MBP online as it does help save quite a bit of cash with bings cashback, but I was just curious does anyone know how AppleCare works? Do I need to activate it once I get my MBP? Will my local Apple Store cover it even though it wasn't bought through them?

I hope you guys understand where I'm coming from, this is a big step for me (switching to :apple:) I just want to make sure I do it right and have everything planned. I've been waiting for the refresh for months! I can't wait to learn the OS inside out ;) random rant but yea :p I just don't want to lost 1,500 dollars on a silly mistake, I need the warranty.

2. ssd macrumors newbie

ssd

1. You buy Applecare after you purchased your Mac (you will need Mac s/n to activate Applecare).

2. Although Applecare bought elsewhere is generally accepted by Apple, one purchased from eBay is an ongoing debate. As a rule of thumb you want to buy Applecare with a proof of purchase (an invoice). However pls note that Apple does not consider eBay invoice as a valid proof of purchase. Hence your best bet would be to start saving and get one from Apple Store or authorised reseller. You don't need to buy it immediately. Many people get one at the end of first year of their Mac, when original 1 year warranty is about to expire.

3. wschutz macrumors 6502

Apple doesn't usually ask for AppleCare's invoice, and I think that almost any Apple Authorized Repair Center either.
    In both cases they check the serial number, and that is, you get your repair for free.

Don't forget to check the local law where you activate your AppleCare because that's binding, and that's how you can fight in case Apple asks for the invoice or proof of purchase and you provide one Apple doesn't like :)

My advice... get it on eBay. Mine (before I sold the computer) was from eBay, and I had two major repairs done flawlessly: screen and logic board (uMBP).
    Apple can say that it's not valid, but if you are in a country where the law is decent enough to protect the consumer, you won't even have to worry about it. Just make sure the people you buy your AppleCare from on eBay is "reliable" (just like any other purchase).

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

5. ssd macrumors newbie

ssd

Well, as I said it is ongoing debate with some confirming their Applecare mysteriously vanished after a few weeks, others reporting Apple didn't honour the agreement as they couldn't produce valid proof of purchase, and of course majority who either didn't claim, or didn't have any troubles repairing or replacing their Macs.

I myself bought three covers for my laptops from eBay at heavily discounted prices (as probably yourself) and I keep checking they still are available on Apple website. That said, there are all kinds of reports from buyers (including fake warranties) so it's worth checking them out before making a decision.

To OP: Topics are too many to list here. Just google 'Applecare ebay' like I did and it will yield you plenty of discussions.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ap...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

6. phrint macrumors 6502

One way to protect yourself is to ask for the AC box from the eBay seller. If they do not include the box in the purchase then you are setting yourself up for a potential disappointment months down the road.

I sent messages to two eBay sellers with high (10,000+) feedback counts asking if they sent the box/serial number with the AC purchase. I was told by both that they no longer had the boxes and they only had the AC warranty numbers. Something sounded fishy about their responses so I ended up buying AC from the Apple Store with my student discount.

7. Apple.MBPro macrumors member

From some of the posts i have read, certain new AC boxes on ebay are faked as well. Anyways, pretty much the exact same thing as you have mentioned in the above post happened to me, i would rather be safe than sorry (that is have something wrong wrong with my computer 1.5 yrs. later and go to Apple Genius' and they tell "oh, you do not have AppleCare" and in my mind i am going "#$@%&() at myself", this happened to a lot of people, where you no longer get coverage, after a few months of coverage (but you never know you are not covered unless you check the warranty frequently). I purchased my AC directly from Apple with student discount, no heartache, and cheaper as well (a brand new, factory sealed, genuine AC box is way more expensive on ebay).

8. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

Buying AppleCare on eBay is fine, just make sure it's real.
    there are different AppleCares for different regions,
    but Apple will still honor it. at least they did for me.
    My AppleCare was for Great Britain, but they still honored it here in the US.
    Just be smart about buying.

9. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Yes. Now sellers are selling copying boxes and selling them. Going the eBay route is about knowing the risks that come with trying to get AppleCare at a cheap price. No one is going to have sympathy for you when your AppleCare becomes void.

I don't know if it was you who started a topic on this but it doesn't matter where you get the AppleCare and how you activate it. America based Mac + Europe AppleCare or vice versa.

10. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

I started a topic about this a couple months ago which opened a huge dispute between the people of this forum.
    And the reason behind that was because Apple's Customer Support over the phone told me that it was not honorable because it was from a different region, and my argument was that it never states on the box that there's a regional restriction. Or anywhere, clearly, really. They even put a note on my record saying that my Applecare was invalid since it was from Great Britain. But the Apple Store employees themselves say that as long as it's AppleCare, they will honor it. And that's where it really matters anyway, because they are the ones who repair and make the decisions and help you out.

11. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Then these are the only two links you need.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC247?mco=MTYzNjAwNjM

http://www.apple.com/buy/

And this one just incase: http://www.amazon.com/AppleCare-Protection-Plan-Portable-Computers/dp/B000JZ76IK

I'd hate for you to lose $250+ on a shortsighted move :p

12. hippo206 macrumors 6502

13. Hazyb71 thread starter macrumors member

Whoops, thanks for all the feedback, but I wasn't referring to the 3 year AppleCare, I was talking about the one year that comes automatically - How do I know its not used up already?

More importantly, once I buy a MBP, when does the 1 year warranty start? Is it from the day of purchase or after you register the product online?

Again I'm sorry 'cause I'm completely noobish when it comes to these things.

14. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Hey noob. ;)

Yeah that's quite a difference. eBay is not an authorized reseller. It's really a can of worms. If you buy it used, you'll have to trust them to give you the legitimate serial number of the machine, which you'll use here to check the warranty status (gives you end date and current repairs). Again, if buying used, the initial year starts when the original owner purchased their machine, not you.

15. shadygrove macrumors regular

All these reasons are why I pay extra every time to buy new items with a receipt with a manufactures warranty.

16. mobi macrumors 6502

mobi

I bought AppleCare for 3 computers on eBay and there was never a problem. The S/N registered flawlessly and all is well...

17. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

Where are you from?

The reason I'm asking is because in the UK if you buy a macbook with student discount (ask a friend who's eligible if you're not), 3 years apple UK warranty is included. This isn't exactly the same as apple care as you don't get the 3 year phone support, and it's only valid in the UK, however it's very close to having apple care.

More information here:
    http://www.apple.com/uk/education/nationalcontract/

Fabian

18. Hazyb71 thread starter macrumors member

Alright I'm going to message the seller and see if he's an authorized seller. The MBP itself is *new* - never opened, still in the box.

@Eddyisgreat, you're saying that the 1 year initial AppleCare starts on the purchase date? So if I buy it new off eBay it can be partially used - or do I start up the MBP get it registered online then it starts? Just want to be sure ;)

@shadygrove - that might just be what I'll end up doing

@mobi - its good to know it all worked out - so long as they're an experienced and well-reviewed seller I don't think we should expect anything but a smooth sailing transaction

@fabian - I'm in the US - AppleCare comes separately, but that's really cool that it comes prepackaged in the UK - do they charge more for macbooks though?

19. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

If the seller is on eBay, highly doubtful he is authorized Apple Reseller but something you should definitely look into if you're purchasing your Mac from there. Unfortunately, you're going to have to find out when that Mac was FIRST purchased. The seller might have purchased it a long time ago and limited warranty might have already expired. Like many have said, buying off eBay is complicated with all the things you have to consider and what you have a risk. Good Luck.

20. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

Their is no way for the 1 year warranty to already be gone considering the computer came out in June 2009 so he should be ok in that respect.

21. danny31292 macrumors newbie

bought apple care on ebay and I've sent my mbp into apple to have the screen replaced. no problems what so ever.

22. Hazyb71 thread starter macrumors member

I did my research and iLog.Genius you were spot on about them not being Authorized Apple Resellers. They responded to my question saying they're 'authorized internet dealers' so I had to ask them again and the answer was no.

The trippy thing is he also said that the 1 year AppleCare starts when *I* purchase the MBP from them. That threw me off. I guess I have more homework to do :/

23. hypermog macrumors regular

24. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

No. Unless they're an authorized Apple dealer (which they're not) the warranty starts when that computer was purchased. But like someone mentioned above, depending on which model it is, it still might be under the limited warranty and AppleCare is still applicable.

25. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

If the base 13" pro, you can get it cheaper at microcenter. It's $999 there