Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple$

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 21, 2021
I noticed my mom's mid-2015 MacBook Pro had a slight convex bulge the other day (3-4 days ago), and fast forward to today, the laptop now pushes the display so the display isn't flush as it was. (about half an cm) I googled the problem and I advised her to completely unplug the laptop and discontinue using it for now, is there any advice what I should do? We're thinking about getting a new one for her ASAP because she can't work without her laptop and she's due for an upgrade. Also, is it safe to keep using it in Desktop mode via a monitor? Thank you!

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Batteries deteriorate with time. Swelling is a normal phenomenon with old lipo batteries. It’s like car tires. Using them past their shelf life can be very dangerous! Please don’t continue operating this computer, in most extreme case the battery can burst and cause a fire. Your options are to either have the battery replaced or getting a new laptop.

Mega ST

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2021
Europe
Better keep the damaged laptop in a place that is fire safe in case the swollen battery ignites. Try to recover your data and get a new laptop. Don't use the swollen battery laptop anymore.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The swollen batteries can be dangerous.
Just go to youtube, and enter "lithium ion battery explosion" in the search bar.
I wouldn't attempt to recharge this one.

What to do?
Do you have a brick and mortar Apple Store anywhere near?
If so, make an appt and take it to them right away.
They might offer a free replacement (no promises).
Or... they might be able to replace it (will cost $250).

If that doesn't appeal to you, then it's time to shop for something new.
The m2pro MacBook Pro 14" might be a good choice.

But again, don't be fooling with a swollen battery -- can be very dangerous.
And don't try to charge it again.

Apple$

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 21, 2021
The swollen batteries can be dangerous.
Just go to youtube, and enter "lithium ion battery explosion" in the search bar.
I wouldn't attempt to recharge this one.

What to do?
Or... they might be able to replace it (will cost $250).

If that doesn't appeal to you, then it's time to shop for something new.
The m2pro MacBook Pro 14" might be a good choice.

But again, don't be fooling with a swollen battery -- can be very dangerous.
And don't try to charge it again.
We don't have an Apple Store nearby. (Nearest one is over 500 km away in Canada.)
We phoned some stores around town and we found a M3 14" 1 TB but with 8 GB of RAM and a M1 Pro 1 TB 16" 16 GB. Most configurations at Best Buy, Staples, The Source, etc. are 512 GB or are sold out currently. She wants a 1 TB machine as her 512 GB 2015 is full. She's the type of person to keep her Macs a very long time, 6-7+ years. So updates are a concern for her. We're leaning towards the M3 even with 8 GB because of the longevity factor.
And we tried ordering through Apple but the shipping times are like 2+ weeks away if she picked her configuration.
IF there's a M2 Pro machine with 1 TB storage in stock locally, we may just grab that instead of the M3.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
That's what they did for me even though my AppleCare had expired.

rovostrov

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2020
I noticed my mom's mid-2015 MacBook Pro had a slight convex bulge the other day (3-4 days ago), and fast forward to today, the laptop now pushes the display so the display isn't flush as it was. (about half an cm) I googled the problem and I advised her to completely unplug the laptop and discontinue using it for now, is there any advice what I should do? We're thinking about getting a new one for her ASAP because she can't work without her laptop and she's due for an upgrade. Also, is it safe to keep using it in Desktop mode via a monitor? Thank you!
Apple replaced mine for free due to the battery recall program for 2015 MacBook Pros. Here is the site where you can enter the serial number to see if you are eligible for a free replacement. https://support.apple.com/15-inch-macbook-pro-battery-recall

Apple$

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 21, 2021
A bit of an update: My mom picked up a 1 TB 8 GB M3 14" MacBook Pro today. She is upgrading from a Intel mid 2015 MacBook Pro with 16 GB RAM and 512 GB. I know it's not the best machine in terms of RAM, but she needed something ASAP given her swollen battery issue, not 2+ weeks for a configurated MacBook Pro. She put more emphasis on storage than the RAM. The tech at the store advised her to discontinue use of her old computer.

Timpetus

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2014
Orange County, CA
I was going to suggest replacing the battery. Have Apple do it, if you do. My 2016 15” MBP had slight swelling but I caught it in time and it works fine now.

Apple$

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 21, 2021
I was going to suggest replacing the battery. Have Apple do it, if you do. My 2016 15” MBP had slight swelling but I caught it in time and it works fine now.
The tech at the authorized repair center within a store said they would have to replace battery and the case. Which would be like $1200 CAD.
We don't live near a official Apple Store. She picked up a 1 TB 8 GB M3 14" MacBook Pro.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
"The tech at the authorized repair center within a store said they would have to replace battery and the case. Which would be like $1200 CAD.
We don't live near a official Apple Store."

If it was an actual brick n mortar "Apple Store" (owned and operated by Apple), the response would have been completely different. "Third party providers" are a whole 'nother ball game.

That's why I said "brick n mortar" Apple Store in my earlier reply to you...

Reactions: Apple$
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.