MacBook Pro Buyers: The MacRumors BUYING GUIDE says to WAIT!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by IvanPod, Jan 19, 2008.

1. IvanPod macrumors newbie

228 days since update (Average = 186)

I could understand the ZOMG BUY NOW mentality if it did not contradict all reason and the facts.

Don't waste your money, folks. Buying now is like picking the carton of old milk at the grocery store because you're too impatient to wait a few minutes for a restock. It's stupid and nonsensical!

DON'T BUY A MACBOOK PRO NOW!

2. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

People can click "Buyer's Guide" in the top right corner. They don't need you to copy and paste it here.

3. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

Yea, but he's right. It seems some people need a reminder.

Wait, people!

4. jesusplay macrumors 6502a

5. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

processors, more memory as standard, graphics

6. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Keep waiting! Just keep waiting! The rest of us will go on using our computers. :D

7. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Not me. Bought today and will just sell and upgrade again once the new ones are released.

EPP Discount + eBay = <3 <3

8. n8236 macrumors 65816

My biggest concern is the graphics card. What could be expect for that?

9. Zyblor macrumors newbie

Waiting around for Apple to stop greedily squeezing blood from the ancient, cold stone of the Macbook Pro is pointless.

I've personally stopped waiting for a MBP update... and channeled the funds earmarked for its purchase towards the lowest-end refurbished Macbook and a new motherboard, processor and high-end graphics card for my PC.

10. DocSmitty macrumors regular

Yeah, that buyer's guide has said the same thing for two months or longer ;)

I just ordered one and I am going to ENJOY IT! A bump to penryn would have absolutely no impact on my daily use of this machine.

11. gelatin macrumors 6502

im willing to wait til the summer but then i will have to buy one before i leave uni and dont get student discounts anymore

12. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

You sound like you're trying to convince yourself of something. :rolleyes:

13. Scorch07 macrumors 6502

Keep in mind that the Buyer's Guide doesn't count the minor update that happened in Nov, where Apple may be counting it in their figuring.

14. DocSmitty macrumors regular

Nope, trying to convince the perennial waiters not to wait any longer.. you can see my other post to the end of the list of MBP buyers as to all the other reasons I bought one now :)

15. pianoplayer1 macrumors 6502

pianoplayer1

Guesstimation (lol):

I think just from looking at the product pages of ati and nvidia that the new macbook pros will have an 8700m or (more likely) and ati card like the 2600 is the other macs or maybe a card in the 3000's (unlikely).

My main guess = 8700m

16. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

MacRumors is great, but the buyers guide is basically useless.

Not based on any Product Development logic at all, and it should be.

17. We Healthy macrumors newbie

We Healthy

The MBP won't get an 8700m gt. The 8700m gt is a higher clocked 8600m gt. It already has heat problems and it has an 8600m gt that is way underclocked.

Not gonna happen. The upgrade would be to an 8800m gts. That would be too much heat for the already scorching MBP and a complete case redesign needs to be in order for that. That would have been mentioned at Macworld. I'm on a tangent anyway its all unlikely. I think it would be fine to purchase a MBP at the moment as there won't be huge technological leaps.

18. PimpDaddy macrumors 6502

I'm curious now. How would it look if it were to you? Can you please make a better buyers guide? :)

I'm sure alot of us would like to see you improved buyers guide :)

19. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

I'm hoping to get mine on Monday, I'm almost positive even if they do get updated, it won't be a case re design, and thats all I wanted in an update anyway. The cases probably wont be re designed until the next Macworld. So for now, I need it and I'm hoping for one asap.

Stop waiting people, buy now. Life is to short :D

20. Andrmgic macrumors 6502a

I'm not going to wait several weeks or months for an update that may or may not come. Apple has seriously neglected machines before, just look at the mac pro before this year.

They are focused on the Macbook Air and I think that an update that makes a Pro a(n even) better value for the money might push some people away from the macbook air that would otherwise have bought one.

I'll update my laptop when it no longer does what I want it to do, and I honestly expect the current base model mbp to fill that role for a year or so.

21. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Update? You mean introduction of an option, like how when the Mac Pros introduced an 8 core option?

22. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Hell my iBook still does what I want it to. Just not as quickly as I would like, and doesn't look as good doing so. :D

23. Andrmgic macrumors 6502a

Well, I typically factor in performance into my definition of "doing what I want it to do".. I've always wanted a mac notebook ever since I laid eyes on the Ti Powerbook G4 years ago, so it was also important to me to get a macbook pro that retains the design I've wanted in a notebook all these years :)

24. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

It's not just him in this circle of mediocrity. I cringe every time I read "I just (gave in to my lack of patience) and bought a MBP (long list of specific stats) and I'll be having FUN on it! It's a great machine!"

I mean needing one is one thing, but not having the patience to wait for something that is imminent? I just don't understand. But hey, whatever, it's their money; let them cheat themselves all they want.

25. Radio Monk33 macrumors 6502

People are good at justifying decisions they've already made.

It's a culture of immediate satisfaction. :D