Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Josh83

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2008
You guys all speak about just selling their "old" MBP and buying a new one when they are out.

Sounds like thousends of people are just craving for used MBP's... is this really fact or isn't it? I've never bought or sold a Mac Notebook 2nd hand yet, so what do you guys expect to be able to charge for your 6 to 12 months old MBP's?

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
what you think they would actually give you like 4 gigs of memory without bto?

I think they meant HD space ;)

You guys all speak about just selling their "old" MBP and buying a new one when they are out.

Sounds like thousends of people are just craving for used MBP's... is this really fact or isn't it? I've never bought or sold a Mac Notebook 2nd hand yet, so what do you guys expect to be able to charge for your 6 to 12 months old MBP's?

Yeah, the used Mac market is great. You can "rent" a refurb Mac for instance, and sell it when the new stuff comes out for not a lot less than you bought it.

Josh83

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2008
Yeah, the used Mac market is great. You can "rent" a refurb Mac for instance, and sell it when the new stuff comes out for not a lot less than you bought it.

Doesn't make too much sense to me...? Why should anybody buy a used computer of the previous generation for "not a lot less than I bought it" when he could have a new one of the current generation for "not a lot more"? :-/

akadmon

Suspended
Aug 30, 2006
New England
Doesn't make too much sense to me...? Why should anybody buy a used computer of the previous generation for "not a lot less than I bought it" when he could have a new one of the current generation for "not a lot more"? :-/

Hm, there's a sucker born every minute? That would make 525600 suckers born in a year. Alas, still not enough to buy all those used MBPs:eek:

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX

Perhaps an example will help.

A £1599 2.4GHz MBP refurb is £1299, a £300 saving for you in the first instance

You then sell it on after 11 months use for £899 (the price the last gen 2.33s are going for now on eBay), still within warranty and eligible for Applecare... totalling £400 for the use of a laptop for near a year. The buyer doesn't mind either, because they've bought a product that is still perfectly capable for hundreds less than the current stuff.

akadmon

Suspended
Aug 30, 2006
New England
Perhaps an example will help.

A £1599 2.4GHz MBP refurb is £1299, a £300 saving for you in the first instance

You then sell it on after 11 months use for £899 (the price the last gen 2.33s are going for now on eBay), still within warranty and eligible for Applecare... totalling £400 for the use of a laptop for near a year. The buyer doesn't mind either, because they've bought a product that is still perfectly capable for hundreds less than the current stuff.

This makes sense only if the other alternative would be to keep the machine for less than 3 years. People who do not use their laptops for generating income, and/or who are not foolishly jonesing after the latest greatest all the time, will probably want to keep their laptop for at least 4 years.

Here is the math.

Mr. Jones buys a refurb every year for £1299, then sells it for £899 after 1 year. At the end of the forth year he has spent £2899 on his MBPs: £1299 + 4*(£1299-£899).

Joe Regular buys a refurb for £1299, then sells it for £299 after 4 years and buys another refurb for £1299. Therefore he has spent 2*£1299-£299 = £2299, i.e., £600 less than Mr. Jones! In fact, he could afford to buy new rather than refurb, and still come out even with Mr. Jones.

Class dismissed :D

EDIT:

Another way of looking at it is to use the NPV (net present value) concept. If, rather than buying a computer, each guy were to put his money in a bank at 6% interest, Mr. Jones would have to put in £442.65 more than Joe Regular to have the same amount at the end of 4 years. What this also means is that Joe Regular can afford to spend £442.65 more on a laptop, i.e., get a better one :D

John Purple

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2008
Here is the math.

Mr. Jones buys a refurb every year for £1299, then sells it for £899 after 1 year. At the end of the forth year he has spent £2899 on his MBPs: £1299 + 4*(£1299-£899).

Joe Regular buys a refurb for £1299, then sells it for £299 after 4 years and buys another refurb for £1299. Therefore he has spent 2*£1299-£299 = £2299, i.e., £600 less than Mr. Jones! In fact, he could afford to buy new rather than refurb, and still come out even with Mr. Jones.

Class dismissed :D

Sorry to correct you:

To use his Mac for 4 years Mr. Jones pays 1299 + 3*(1299-899) - 899= 1600

:)

akadmon

Suspended
Aug 30, 2006
New England
Sorry to correct you:

To use his Mac for 4 years Mr. Jones pays 1299 + 3*(1299-899) - 899= 1600

:)

In that case you need to subtract 1299 from Joe Regular's expenses, which come out to an even 1000. So the difference is still 600 :D

EDIT:

I was assuming each buys another laptop at the end of the forth year. So 5 laptops for Mr. Jones, 2 for Joe Regular.

iCeFuSiOn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2007
I also went ahead and bought a 15" 2.2 Ghz MacBook Pro on the day of the MacWorld conference. Really not worried about Penryn, newer graphics cards, or a case redesign. Didn't feel like waiting around until the next revision simply because I wanted to make the switch and I knew that the current generation MacBook Pro would fulfill my needs without a problem.

ewxlt

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2008
I also went ahead and bought a 15" 2.2 Ghz MacBook Pro on the day of the MacWorld conference. Really not worried about Penryn, newer graphics cards, or a case redesign. Didn't feel like waiting around until the next revision simply because I wanted to make the switch and I knew that the current generation MacBook Pro would fulfill my needs without a problem.

Ahhh. A guy who knows what he wants. Nice! I'm on a 3 year old Powerbook that's expiring from Apple Care in a month. I for one am waiting for the update. I figure, I've waited this long, might as well make the largest jump possible.

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX

*maths*

Sheesh! I meant as a one-off kinda "meanwhile Mac": if you're happy to lose a few hundred while you wait it out, you can use today's best while you wait for the new revision that will make you breakfast.

I assume Mr Jones keeps the new Mac he trades up for.... forever :p

tamvly

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2007
I use the "every other generation" technique. It works great.

I bought a MBP about a year ago (2.3GHz Core 2 Duo). This has served me quite nicely (apart from battery life, which is a whole different thread) and will continue to until the next model comes out, probably with the upgraded LCD screen and a bump in processor speed and HDD capacity (and hopefully multi-touch). So if it's February or May until the next model arrives, I am happy.

I have found this technique works well. I have never even had to advertise to sell my old laptop - the last two I sold to friends for a good, but fair, price. Everyone is happy. And no gnashing of teeth or pulling of hair.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.