Macbook Pro Caught Alight!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jdaco6, Jun 22, 2009.

1. jdaco6 macrumors regular

Help! My Macbook Pro caught fire this morning, scared the hell out of me!!! I was downstairs and smelt plastic burning went to my Macbook Pro and the power cable thing was on fire! I quickly yanked the cable out and the metal bit fell away and I managed to put it out.

I have called apple and they say they are looking into it and they told me they had a procedure for when this happens.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Wow, I wonder how common this is going to be. This is at least the 3rd topic I've seen at MacRumors where someone's unibody MBP has caught fire on it's own...

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Somehow the Sublime song popped into my head ...
    Oddly though, Apple does have a procedure for these things ... which suffice to say scares me more that they need a procedure for these things due to the frequency of occurrences.

4. jdaco6 thread starter macrumors regular

I agree! The indian woman who I had first was the one who said there was a procedure to deal with this issue, as though she had been trained for this?

5. ichiban06 macrumors regular

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You know if they're training tier 1 help desk in India then it must be more common than not. Typically (and I speak from experience but not involving fire) if your issue is out of the norm then you get transferred to a more escalated center skilled in dealing with this issue.

If it's printed in the welcome manual to all new hires then I'd be worried.

I'll see you at the 2009 Captain Obvious Awards. ;)
    ron-jeremy11.jpg

7. jdaco6 thread starter macrumors regular

Not sure m8, I assume so. It's that or the Macbook!

I was eventually transfered to a different department, but not before being asked to email Pictures and stuff and being asked if anything else was damaged, was there anything else connected to the Macbook etc

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I would have said you were connected to it ... but that's just me.

9. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

I See a Top Spec MacBook Pro coming your way!

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No, what you see is a replacement MacBook Pro.

11. jdaco6 thread starter macrumors regular

All I want is it to be fixed!

12. bier-meister macrumors regular

That does not look good :eek:

OP, was the macbook on, off or in standby when it happened?

I always leave mine on standby lying on my couch. If this was to happen when I was at work the place would burn down :eek:

13. itunes2000 macrumors newbie

you will get a new unit

I would take it to an Apple Store

14. jdaco6 thread starter macrumors regular

It was on, but running idle. The person said when it fixed to be very careful with the Magsafe adaptor and to always have in a cool well ventilated space not on material of any kind.

I am waiting for a call back from engineering!

15. bier-meister macrumors regular

wow, I better change the way I use mine. I usually have it sitting on the couch beside me, it gets very warm underneath but I thought that was normal, maybe not.

Best of luck, I'm sure Apple will sort you out. They should probably offer some small form of compensation as well.

16. brvheart macrumors 6502

Was this a 15", 17" or what? Can you give us some more details please? I have a 17" sitting at home as my home computer and a 15" with me now - so I am now concerned. Can you also tell us if you have anything else connected to the machine when that happened?

that plain sucks man, let us know what Apple does for you.

17. jdaco6 thread starter macrumors regular

15" 2.53ghz 4GB Ram 9600 etc (usual setup, no upgrades) Jan 09 model.

Runs most of the time, caught fire with the lid open while running idle just charging on my desk. Nothing else was connected to this machine at the time.

Don't know what other info I can give you, hope that helps

18. fireman13 macrumors 6502

What does the other side of the cord look like, the one plugged into the wall? if it's not burnt as well, you probably don't have an electrical problem. instead, there is either something wrong with the connecting port or the computer itself. Lets hope this isn't a manufacture defect. I agree though, O have seen a few threads with this happening so it seems to becoming more prevalent.

Good luck with your replacement maybe Apple wont do you wrong.

19. RedWings macrumors regular

Fixed?

You should only want a replacement. No way would I want that MacBook to remain in my home knowing it could just flame up at any moment.

20. jdaco6 thread starter macrumors regular

other end of my lead near the big block bit, is fine, looks as good as new! I was in a state of shock when I was on the phone to apple this morning, couldn't believe what had happened!

21. Sirolway macrumors 6502

That's worrying - I was just thinking yesterday that the case under the battery was getting pretty hot, then today I've left it on while I go to work to condition the battery ...

Hope the house is still standing!
    Ah well, I left it well ventilated & it's not the warmest of days so I guess all will be well!

22. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

23. jdaco6 thread starter macrumors regular

UK

24. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

As the other poster said, there have been 3 others like this reported. Curious if this is Country bound (Power differences) or Adapter.

25. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

What a BS response. How are you supposed to "be very careful" yet not have it "on material of any kind" ?? Why even bother having a power adapter if it can't be placed on anything nor pulled out of the plug- you know, what it was designed to do.