Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdaco6

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
What a BS response. How are you supposed to "be very careful" yet not have it "on material of any kind" ?? Why even bother having a power adapter if it can't be placed on anything nor pulled out of the plug- you know, what it was designed to do.

lol, she was not very well trained clearly but she was the best foreign call center person I have had the pleasure of speaking with in a long time to be fair.

brvheart

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2007
15" 2.53ghz 4GB Ram 9600 etc (usual setup, no upgrades) Jan 09 model.

Runs most of the time, caught fire with the lid open while running idle just charging on my desk. Nothing else was connected to this machine at the time.

Don't know what other info I can give you, hope that helps

that sums it up man, thank you - I am going to watch this thread closely - interested in the outcome for sure - best of luck!

gan6660

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2008
You should now demand a top of the line 17inch macbook pro with led cinema display.

miles01110

macrumors Core
Jul 24, 2006
The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
lol, she was not very well trained clearly but she was the best foreign call center person I have had the pleasure of speaking with in a long time to be fair.

I'm not attacking the messenger, but that's a stupid corporate line that they're trained to feed to people. Not her fault, whoever decided that was the best advice to give is clearly out of touch with reality.

jdaco6

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 19, 2007
Homeboy here is in Canada.

This is getting insane! Just had a call from a guy at apple saying the issue has been passed on to head office with all other cases of fire have been and that an Apple Engineer will be letting them know tomorrow what will be happening about this.

uv23

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2003
Calgary, AB
It's only a matter of time before someone is killed or their house burns down due to these magsafes. I wonder if Apple has prepared a response for that as well...

aprofetto

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
I see a mass replacement program happening for all magsafe connectors. Much like the original usb->plug adaptors with the iPhone 3G.

It's too much a risk for Apple to not replace these magsafe connectors, all they need is a house to burn down, let alone the computer.

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
OP : What's with the popped out keys? Is that a result of the fire or previous damage? I think Apple will ask you about that.

brvheart

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2007
OP : What's with the popped out keys? Is that a result of the fire or previous damage? I think Apple will ask you about that.

take a look close at the other keys - they are melted - so I am guessing it was from the fire he just had.

LAS.mac

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
Mexico
LAst year, about three months after releasing the iPhone 3G, Apple started replacing the AC chargers that did not have the green dot on it, because of fire risk. Probably they should do the same for MBP chargers. If tehy have a "procedure", it is because at least some of them are under risk...

tdream

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
You should now demand a top of the line 17inch macbook pro with led cinema display.

Absolutely, for Apple to put the safety and security of you and your home on the line they better damn well pay up. :mad:

If this happened to me I'd be furious and expecting compensation.

JamesGorman

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
Winnipeg
This is starting to worry me a little bit. 3 Posts of this in what, 2 days, it seems like more of this may be on the way. I really hope not. I Leave my computer plugged in 80 % of the time and I really don't want to come home to a burnt magsafe/computer. Well, maybe I do, so i can get the new mbp 13inch, but still. What I really don't want is someone to loose their house or life due to this.

poobah

macrumors member
May 23, 2009
Pure speculation here, but comparing a white macbook and uMBP, it looks like the ports are recessed a little deeper into the unit on the unibodies, which would make it more likely that people strain the wire on the magsafe when removing it. We already know the magsafe connectors aren't all that rugged. I suspect we'll see a "revised" magsafe with a longer plastic shroud to grab onto.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
The next generation MBP will have a nozzle that dispenses fire retardant when smoke is detected.

And the generation after THAT will not include the nozzle. They won't tell anyone until well after its release, but offer a nozzle add on for an additional $39.99. And doubtlessly, some posters here on macrumors will defend that decision with their last breath and every fiber of their being.

Jiten

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
Dang, I thought this mag safe problem was resolved a long time ago. Hopefully the OPs Mac is the exception rather then that rule.

djvic87

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2009
This is a very, very, serious problem. We are talking about something that can endanger lives and properties. We should do a petition for a better magsafe adapter or something. This is intolerable.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
A few more fires is better than any stupid petition.

Dear Apple:
Can I have a plug that doesn't catch fire? Here are signatures of some 2000 other people who are on board with my request.
:rolleyes:

Gwardys

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2006
I thought it would never happen to me!

I smelt burning plastic earlier, and inspected my room only to find that the powercord was slightly melted near the box. Since I didn't have any other cord, I decided to plug it back in and watch it very closely.

Very quickly it heated up again, this time melting enough to exposing the inner wire, and making smoke! Needless to say I am NOT plugging it back in, and am now slightly scared! What if this had happened when I was not home?!

Attachments

• IMG_0259.jpg
    IMG_0259.jpg
    904.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0260.jpg
    IMG_0260.jpg
    674.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0261.jpg
    IMG_0261.jpg
    580.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0262.jpg
    IMG_0262.jpg
    664.1 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0263.jpg
    IMG_0263.jpg
    687.6 KB · Views: 41

harcosparky

macrumors 68020
Jan 14, 2008
As the other poster said, there have been 3 others like this reported. Curious if this is Country bound (Power differences) or Adapter.

It's happened in the USA as well.

I met a girl at the Apple Store who was buying her 3rd Mag Safe charger.

I asked what happen to her others......

#1 - Caught Fire
#2 - Metal part broke off inside computer

I asked if she knew about Macrumors and she said no, I asked her to come here and join and to post her story as well.

Precautions I can recommend ....

Do not allow the wire at the connector to be bent/twisted. I think there may be an internal weakness within the wire insulation that may cause a short, which would heat up and begin the process of catching fire.

ALSO - NEVER Remove the Magsafe by pulling on the wire. Pry out the connector. I've seen a lot of people just pulling on the cable.

Yes Apple made the Magsafe so it would pull out under stress, but they did not intend stressing it as a way of normal use removal.

No I do not work for Apple, but I have worked in engineering for a number of years in a Failure Analysis Lab. Looking at the ones I have seen burned initially leads me to think the wires stressed at the connector from bending and/or being pulled out by the wire.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.