Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As more retailers and users get their MacBook Pros, most images and details are coming out about Apple's first Intel-based laptop.

- OtherWorldComputing posts the requisite disassembly photos, showing the innards of a new MacBook Pro. iFixiit offers a disassembly guide for adventurous MacBook owners. The disassembly reveals that the MacBook Pro's Core Duo processor is soldered to the logic board rather than socketed. This is unlike the Intel iMac which houses a socketed processor, allowing users to swap out the processor.
- O'Grady posted some early benchmarks from the 2.0GHz MacBook Pro vs the 1.5GHz PowerBook G4, both running Photoshop CS. Readers should note that Photoshop CS remains a PowerPC application so is run under emulation on the MacBook Pro. As expected, the 1.5GHz PowerBook G4 beats the 2.0GHz MacBook Pro on these tests.
- OWC posts more extensive benchmarks but you must click on older models to compare the MacBook Pro to their processor upgrade options.
- Meanwhile, the quest for Windows on an Intel Mac continues with some progress launching Windows under Linux on an Intel iMac by using VMWare.
- With the MacBook Pro finally shipping, Apple has officially End of Life'd the 15" PowerBook. Apple had previously stated that the 15" PowerBook G4 would only continue to be sold "while supplies last".
- Finally, another boot test video comparing a MacBook Pro and Powerbook G4 boot times. (The MacBook Pro wins)

strange days

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2005
ok,

This might seem trivial but...

For all among you who had the Powerbook as well : is the keyboard feel and the way you lay your hands on the chassis more confortable compared to thicker Powerbook models ?

Texas04

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2005
Texas
Finally... have been waiting for one of those.
Awsome video, but some supsense music behind it.. that would have been cool :).
Thanks for the video :)

janstett

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2006
Chester, NJ
Has anybody commented on the "High Definiton" tab in the DVD player prefs? I'm confused by it. Not present on my Mac Mini either.

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
I can't see the video...it is taking forever to load. My guess is because of the increased traffic to that website that probably doesn't have the bandwidth to support the extra traffic.

Can anyone mirror/upload the video somewhere else?

EDIT: Nevermind, it finally loaded!

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
The boot up video doesn't seem to play. Just the Quicktime logo is shown. I wish the ship time as fast as the boot time. I have to wait another 10 days before mine even ships.

In the old days, wasn't CPUs soldered in to save money or make it more compact. I think there is a logical reason for doing so.

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
janstett said:
Has anybody commented on the "High Definiton" tab in the DVD player prefs? I'm confused by it. Not present on my Mac Mini either.

I saw your posts in another forum about this. I checked it on my iMac G5, and the preference tab is there in the DVD Player. Curious.

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
Texas04 said:
3:30 is what most are getting

not that bad. More than my year-and 2 month old powerbook. About an hour. Not as much as i expected, but still pretty good. But when will apple release battery life?

Electro Funk

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2005
The Opium Garden
BornAgainMac said:
The boot up video doesn't seem to play. Just the Quicktime logo is shown. I wish the ship time as fast as the boot time. I have to wait another 10 days before mine even ships.

In the old days, wasn't CPUs soldered in to save money or make it more compact. I think there is a logical reason for doing so.

The video will play... just takes a while to load...

probably lots o traffik...

miketcool

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2003
California
Yes!!

Anyone else feel like they just wandered happily into a hanger at area 51? its landed.....

"it had lights, brighter then the last one. it was silver in color, amazingly fast. it must have been an MBP"

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Be patient with the startup video - it will load, eventually.

It was something like 27 seconds for Core Duo, 56 sec. for G4 1 GHz Powerbook.

That was impressing.

musicalmcs8706

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2006
yankeefan24 said:
But when will apple release battery life?
I was in the Apple store yesterday and when I asked the guy he said about 5-6 hours I think. Granted that was without Airport or Bluetooth on. I unplugged it when it had those two enabled, and it said about three and a half hours.

MacH4X0r

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2003
:mad:
Mine arrived this morning around noon, at my HOUSE
I'm off at college, so my parents have to ship it to me...
Freaking WEAK SAUCE

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Anything has to be better the G4 Powerbooks....

Old slow, uncompetitive.

Welcome Intel Duo!

who really cares what the inners look like - most will never open up their powerbooks. As long as they are competitive with PC laptops.. its all good.

codycartoon

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2002
I would be curious to see a video showing the macbook running high def video of the macbook running highdef video. (and speed of the native apps as well)

-cody

digitalbiker

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2002
The Road
Bad Battery

yankeefan24 said:
not that bad. More than my year-and 2 month old powerbook. About an hour. Not as much as i expected, but still pretty good. But when will apple release battery life?

If you don't get more than 2.5 hours out of your PowerBook you must have a bad battery.

I have a 17 in. 1.67 Ghz with brighter highres screen and I get 5.5 hours easy if I am using moderate processor tasks. I have my monitor near full brightness level and I have my processor setting to best performance. I can watch 3.5 hours of DVD movies before the battery gives out. I have several DVD's that I used toast to put an image on my hard drive and I can easily watch continuous video for just over 4 hours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.