MacBook Pro Display Component Shortages Strangling Supply?

ipearx

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2005
New Zealand
The New Zealand store has a 1-2 week wait on the 15". The 17" is only a few days. I just ordered a custom build 17" and it took almost 2 weeks to ship. Ordered on the 6th of July. Initial estimated deliver of 17/07/2007 - 19/07/2007. It's now going to arrive "before or on the 24th July".

Not too far off I guess.

http://bla.st/apple/

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
So... we're pretty certain this shortage is the result of a "defect" or "problem" rather than simply high demand?

Maybe Apple got tons of LED displays and it still wasn't enough.

I think I'm fairly safe to say that this would indicate a sharply increased likeliness that the new revision iMacs will NOT have LED technology in their screens.
That was pretty unlikely already: large-size LED units are either not available or outrageously expensive. For now.

techmonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
So... we're pretty certain this shortage is the result of a "defect" or "problem" rather than simply high demand?

Maybe Apple got tons of LED displays and it still wasn't enough.
I think the demand is high, and the supply is low. I have a new MBP and love it. Reading the issues threads, it makes me wonder if some people are seeing things, or led to believe they have a problem when they really do not.

valiar

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2006
Washington, DC
Makes me feel lucky.
I have ordered mine on June 16, and received it on 28th. Long shipping time in my case was due to 7200 RPM drive.
Interestingly, my original ship date was August 2 (!!!). I was really happy when I received an email from Apple on the 26th.
And the LED screen is fantastic. Worth the wait for certain...

valiar

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2006
Washington, DC
A week is not along time to wait. i ordered a T61 Thinkpad from Lenovo ( I refuse to run windows vista on my Macbook pro) Lenevo took three months to deliver me my T61 with xp pre-installed.So, a week delay is not bad at all.
I had a 4 month wait with Lenovo last year (just when they have released the X60). Then they shipped me two X60s instead of one - and both with defective docking stations. Then I returned both, and they have charged me for both - after they have received them in their warehouse.
Parallels for me... I am not dealing with Lenovo clowns again.:cool:

zwiggles1

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2006
Man I have good & bad luck...

Bought a Rev A Macbook Pro after they were announced. When I finally got it, it had a dent corner. It took a full 5 weeks to get me a replacement b/c of shortages.

With that replacement I have had the thing in the shop 3 time b/c of fan rubbing, no backlit keyboard, then a screen malfunction. Then the straw that broke the camels back, the keyboard and touch pad cut out.

Almost 3 weeks ago, instead of fixing the computer, they decided to replace it. Ok, so now I'm stoked.
Not only am I getting a replacement, but it's the 2.4Ghz version (I bitched that the base model had only a 128Mb graphics card & mine was a 256Mb).

So now I see this thread. I've been waiting almost three weeks for the thing to ship, and I may be getting another Rev A computer with a whole new set of problems... I know that I should be happy to be getting a new comp, but I should have had it done right the first time, especially when dropping $2600.

ajhill

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2007
Plenty here in CA

I was at an Apple store yesterday and they were selling MacBook Pros like they were going out of style. They sold five while I was there. Shortages? Not at that store. Just happy, and lucky? MacBook Pro owners.

Incidentally the new screen looks great, and the extended battery life is an added benefit. Oh yeah, not to mention saving the planet from more mercury in the landfills.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Hmmm...certainly explains why so many people have had trouble finding mbps. The Bay Area seems to have plenty (I guess being close to Infinite Loop has its advantages;))

A little dissapointing, but not all of it was in Apple's control. We can't blame Apple for a supply shortage caused by a third party (although we can complain about it and show our disapproval).

Raven56

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2007
A Victim of Apples Incompetence

I ordered a new baseline 15" macbook pro on the 13th of June and am still waiting for it to arrive.
Apple is completely incompetent, 6 WEEKS is fare too long to wait for a laptop.
At least now i have some idea that I'm not the only one going through this pain.

:mad:SCREW THE ENVIRONMENT, I WANT MY LAPTOP! :D

DaveTheGrey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2003
I ordered a MBP (2,2 GHz with 160 GB @ 5400rpm) on June 8th at the biggest apple dealer in germany (cancom) and I still don't got it yet.

Cancom confirmed that they will reciever theire first shipment of 8 (how lousy) MBPs from apple today (7.19) and that I'm on the 8th position on the waiting list.
So if I'm lucky I get it tomorrow...
Cancom also told me that apple stoped shipping because of flaws they found in the mbp, didn't told me if it was for the heat or the display or anything else though.

The waiting continues :eek:

dave

Fourno

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2007
i ordered a SR MBP 2.2 Ghz on July 7th
on July 11th I received an e-mail stating they have received my money.
Now i'm waiting...
Expected delivery: July 26th - August 1st

so does this mean I will have to wait longer then August 1st???
Or is the wait for the led backlights included in the current expected delivery date?

makes me feel stupid for ordering it online, i had better just gone to an apple reseller somewhere around here...

My first :apple: Mac, hope I don't regret it....

AnthonyP

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2007
Chico, CA
I was at an Apple store yesterday and they were selling MacBook Pros like they were going out of style. They sold five while I was there. Shortages? Not at that store. Just happy, and lucky? MacBook Pro owners.

Incidentally the new screen looks great, and the extended battery life is an added benefit. Oh yeah, not to mention saving the planet from more mercury in the landfills.
Too bad there isn't an in-store pick up option for those of us who ordered online! I'll be in Sacramento and the Bay Area next week, but placed the order for the MBP last week, not knowing about the delay. I had wanted to have it delivered before a trip to LA on the 25th, but that doesn't look likely. I just had to use the education discount (college student) and take them up on the free Nano offer... otherwise, I could've just waited and gone to a store/ordered through Amazon. It really is just too bad. But not really. But yeah, kind of.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
I ordered a new baseline 15" macbook pro on the 13th of June and am still waiting for it to arrive.
Apple is completely incompetent, 6 WEEKS is fare too long to wait for a laptop.
At least now i have some idea that I'm not the only one going through this pain.
6 weeks is way too long for a laptop to arrive. You should complain to Apple and get something for lost time. Apple hasn't delivered the product in a timely fashion, which means that they owe you something in compensation.

Raven56

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2007
6 weeks is way too long for a laptop to arrive. You should complain to Apple and get something for lost time. Apple hasn't delivered the product in a timely fashion, which means that they owe you something in compensation.
True i would do this had i paid online, unfortunately I think I have little grounds as i placed the order at a Mac1 store thus i haven't purchased the laptop yet.

The Article said very little about what was actually wrong with the LED Screens. Anyone heard any reports?

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
I understand people's impatience to get their hands on the new machines but I'd personally rather wait and get a screen that works well than get a flawed product that I'd probably return anyway.

Apple need to start being stricter with their suppliers. The whole Rev A macbook thing has tarnished their reputation enough. They don't need any more of this.

rockosmodurnlif

macrumors 65816
Apr 21, 2007
New York, NY
I think the demand is high, and the supply is low. I have a new MBP and love it. Reading the issues threads, it makes me wonder if some people are seeing things, or led to believe they have a problem when they really do not.
Absolutely, I agree 100% because some people just want to have problems with their new computers. Even when they are flawless Macs. Its digital-age Munchausen syndrome.

Iceduck

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2004
The Article said very little about what was actually wrong with the LED Screens. Anyone heard any reports?
There seem to have been two problems. One was yellow tints at the 1/3 bottom of the screen and the other was flickering at less than 100% brightness. The first seems to have been solved on new units and the latter has been fixed through a firmware upgrade.

I wouldn't worry about it.

pandayoghurt

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2007
London UK
Quote from the Macintouch website: "I am an Apple Dealer (have been for over 20 years) and have a heck of a time trying to get the MacBook Pros.

I just received 2 today (Of the 20 I have on order) and discovered that they were "double sealed" by Apple - meaning they were opened and resealed at the factory.

Apple is definitely having issues with them!"

http://www.macintouch.com/readerreports/macbookpro/index.html#18jul2007

I've had two defective units and NO techmonkey we are not seeing things. I've returned mine for a refund and waiting till apple resolves this issue as these new screens aren't up to scratch for pro users.

phonic pol

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2004
UK
I've had mine for weeks!

I've had my top spec 2.4 15" for a couple of weeks now. Pleased to say the screen is perfect, not a dead pixel in sight. It's also better than my 23" alu display when first turned on. The alu display has to warm up for a while before it's at it's most vibrant. I use the macbook pro with second display most of the time and hadn't noticed the change in vibrancy/brightness on my 23" until comparing it to the new 15" LED display.

The 2.4 MBP is also quite a bit faster than my G5 dual 2GHz with 2.5GB ram and 256mb graphics! Overall The new MBP's are very, very impressive!!:)

PDE

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2005
I understand people's impatience to get their hands on the new machines but I'd personally rather wait and get a screen that works well than get a flawed product that I'd probably return anyway.

Apple need to start being stricter with their suppliers. The whole Rev A macbook thing has tarnished their reputation enough. They don't need any more of this.

I just hope that this is the case, that Apple is somehow fixing things and that all macbook pros purchased today are good. Doubt it though.

phonic pol

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2004
UK
I just hope that this is the case, that Apple is somehow fixing things and that all macbook pros purchased today are good. Doubt it though.
What exactly are the screen faults that are being talked about here? Are these just wild rumors or are there high numbers of bad screens out there that have been delivered to customers?