Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anoesis

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2007
When i first got my 2.4 MBP I had the rolling bars interference problem. when apple released the software update for the video. it made the bars thicker and slower but made it harder too see. when i did the firmware update it went back to when i first got it but worse. then i did command+option+p+r and it got rid of it completely! Thanks:)

johnrc516

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2006
Charlotte
Well, i ended up holding the power button down til it shut off. I turned it back on, started up like normal and a notification popped up saying it installed properly. Weird, but whatever, as long as it installed it. Didn't have problems with the display before the update and no problems afterwards either.

Dreamer2go

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
my MBP does not show any problems after the update however:

- runs hotter (under same load)
- Fans seem to go up sooner, not @ 2000 rpm stable all the time, fluctuating very much, i often see 2700rpm 4500 rpm etc.
- i Do not see any changes in idle-battery life (around 3:30), under load however battery seems to unload faster.. around 2hrs @ 40% load.

yeah wtf
my mac is running very hot! it went up by 10c! sighz...

xserve

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2006
I had the moving bands problem with my 2.2GHz MBP 15" LED in the upper left corner of the screen.
Then I install the MacBook Pro EFI Firmware Update 1.3, system restarts and the problem is still there.

BUT after I did a PRAM reset, my Display is perfect now !

Nice job Apple !

now I'm testing to see if my MBP is doing better on battery life after this EFI Update.

-fingers crossed-

PEACE !

seaquestamd

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2007
Wollongong, Australia
m having a problem installing the 1.3 EFI Firmware on my 2.4 SR MBP.

I download the update from Software Update, enter my credentials, instal the update, shut down and then press and hold the power button to start.

I release the power button, the light rapidly blinks, then I get a loud 3 second beep, then it boots into OS X without installing the update.

Tried running using the EFI Restoration CD and zapping the PRAM, still no go.

Any ideas?

Alloye

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2007
Rocklin, CA
No Problem

Just completed the update. Boot ROM Version in System Profiler now reads MBP31.0070.B02. My perfect LG display remains perfect.

ajhaji

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2006
I just installed the update with no problems. Before the update I had some very minor flickering on certain backgrounds. Immediately after the update I got the banding but it went away on its own after a couple minutes. I did a PRAM reset anyway, and now my screen is perfect. So far I can't detect any flickering whatsoever! My MacBook Pro is now closer to perfection!

martinmartin

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
my MBP does not show any problems after the update however:

- runs hotter (under same load)
- Fans seem to go up sooner, not @ 2000 rpm stable all the time, fluctuating very much, i often see 2700rpm 4500 rpm etc.
- i Do not see any changes in idle-battery life (around 3:30), under load however battery seems to unload faster.. around 2hrs @ 40% load.

I'm also noticing faster fan speeds.

Not a huge deal, but I liked it better when it was silent.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
No problems.

Bit annoyed about the loud BEEEEEP - I installed this at 11:50pm and nearly woke the family up, whilst almost giving me a heart attack!

I'd want to know what this update fixes - the link on page one doesn't give much information at all.

After reading a few posts in this topic - it is amazing how so many people are incapable of following the most simple instructions....kind of worrying.

qbit9

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2007
Guess I must be lucky. I got this update. Tried to install it. But every time I hold down the power button, the white led flashes, then the book makes a weird beep, and then goes through the normal boot process without installing the firmware update. I even tried downloading the MacBook Pro Software Update 1.0 which I don't remember having done, but no change. Thing is, I have no issues with the display. There is no color weirdness or skippiness with Expose. I guess 10.4.10 just doesn't need it. How very Mircosoft of Apple to issue this inconsistent update.

Mybabesagenius

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2007
Issues with installing Update

m having a problem installing the 1.3 EFI Firmware on my 2.4 SR MBP.

I download the update from Software Update, enter my credentials, instal the update, shut down and then press and hold the power button to start.

I release the power button, the light rapidly blinks, then I get a loud 3 second beep, then it boots into OS X without installing the update.

Tried running using the EFI Restoration CD and zapping the PRAM, still no go.

Any ideas?

Exactly the same thing happened to me (2.4 Ghz, 15").
I simply couldn't update my firmware by using the 'Software Update function.

I was able to solve this issue by downloading the Update package from the Apple site manually. Then I'd copy the package to the Utilities (application) folder. Dubbelclick and try the whole update procedure again. You'll get to hear the annoying beep again and right after you should see the progress bar..

Lemme know if this works for u as well

seaquestamd

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2007
Wollongong, Australia
Exactly the same thing happened to me (2.4 Ghz, 15").
I simply couldn't update my firmware by using the 'Software Update function.

I was able to solve this issue by downloading the Update package from the Apple site manually. Then I'd copy the package to the Utilities (application) folder. Dubbelclick and try the whole update procedure again. You'll get to hear the annoying beep again and right after you should see the progress bar..

Lemme know if this works for u as well

Tired it, still same problem, looks lie its time to log a call too Apple.

thefoo

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2007
Update worked fine for me.

One thing I did notice on restart, when the progress bar stretches across on "Starting Mac OS X" it used to reach right across the screen and take 3-6 seconds. Now it gets to around 1/3rd across the screen and instantly loads into the desktop within 2 seconds.

I wonder if they've moved some of the startup sequence to occur after the desktop has loaded.

Dembo

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2007
London, UK / Frankfurt, Germany
To reset it restart the macbook Pro. When the white screen appears hold down Command+alt+p+r Hold these 4 keys down and don't let go. he system will restart again with the boot sound. DO NOT LET GO. If you hold it down the system will keep rebooting. Let it boot 3 times. Hence you will hear the boot sound 3 times. On the 4th time let go of everything. System should be clean.
Hope this helped.

Fixed the banding issue I got on my 2.2GHz MBP after the update - thank you very much!

My Samsung screen was fine (note to myself: _no_ more updates right unless broken!) but showed the wandering bands after the update - only visible in "dark" areas (default background demos things nicely). The reset fixed the issue.

Now, since I am a very fresh convert to the cult of Mac: What the hell did I just reset? ;)

Mybabesagenius

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2007
last thing

Tired it, still same problem, looks lie its time to log a call too Apple.

ok..try one more thing:
throw all firmware.app packages (u prolly tried updating several times now) away (u can find the files in your application > utility folder) and download the update pack again manually (NOT USING THE SOFTWARE UPDATE FUNCTION).

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macbookproefifirmwareupdate13.html

You did install the 'MacBook Pro Software Update 1.0', right?!

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macbookprosoftwareupdate10.html

Good luck

Trepex

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2007
Ottawa, Canada
just did the 1.3 firmware update and I know I must be dillusional but the screen looks much better now. I watched the white apple boot screen after installing updats, then it told me how to do the firmware update, did it, then booted again and this time the white screen was much more evenly lit. I never suffered from the yellow 1/3 issue, or any other problems, and yet this makes things look more even and consistent.

This MUST be all in my head right?

Alloye

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2007
Rocklin, CA
This MUST be all in my head right?

Unless Apple tells us exactly what they changed (not likely), there's no way to answer that question with 100% certainty. However, I will say I've also noticed something slightly different about my display since applying the update. I initially wrote it off as the good 'ol placebo effect, but today I'm finding it harder to deny that everything looks a bit more "solid" than before. It's hard to explain. My guess is that these displays use pulse-width modulation to control the backlight and the firmware update made adjustments that might just be perceptible.

Habusho

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2006
I updated with this update the day it came out and didn't notice any changes until I started reading this thread and did the comman+alt+r+p reboot and on the second boot the brightness immediately went up a couple of notches. The display on my machine is calibrated and I'm using a brightness setting now that's 3 notches below what it was before. Also, I don't know if it is the placebo effect but I'm noticing a more smooth, sharper display after this update. It's pretty subtle but I'm really liking it.

Brian22022

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2007
question

Not sure if I'm just being dumb but I have never installed a firmware update this being my first mac and I was having a problem with the step"
3. Press and hold the power button on your MacBook Pro until the power indicator light flashes repeatedly to begin the update."

Trepex

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2007
Ottawa, Canada
Not sure if I'm just being dumb but I have never installed a firmware update this being my first mac and I was having a problem with the step"
3. Press and hold the power button on your MacBook Pro until the power indicator light flashes repeatedly to begin the update."

After it powers down prior to the update, you just keep the button down until you see the little light on the button/latch (the one to open the lid) starts blinking repeatedly. You'll hear the mac power on almost right away, but keep the button down, and you'll see your status light start going.

BEWARE OF THE LOUD BEEP that it makes right after the blinking light!

seaquestamd

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2007
Wollongong, Australia
ok..try one more thing:
throw all firmware.app packages (u prolly tried updating several times now) away (u can find the files in your application > utility folder) and download the update pack again manually (NOT USING THE SOFTWARE UPDATE FUNCTION).

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macbookproefifirmwareupdate13.html

You did install the 'MacBook Pro Software Update 1.0', right?!

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macbookprosoftwareupdate10.html

Good luck

THIS WORKED FOR ME!

You my friend are a genius!!!!

Deleted the firmware.app package, re-downloaded 1.3 from Apples website, installed, shutdown, turned on, and now its installing the firmware.

Thanks a bundle!

:)

ngdesign

macrumors member
May 18, 2007
Yeah, me too :mad:

I have the same rolling issue. You have to look at times to see it, but otherwise its getting pretty annoying. Wow...APPLE PLEASE!

If you want to see it, put your nose at the bottom of your laptop right in front of the trackpad, and look up at the screen. It is probably pretty noticeably yellow and darker, but you'll start to see the rolling patterns.

The darker the items on the screen, the more I see it now. Not good.

Same here, the rolling band runs even faster than before the update..

MAN.. :confused: What now?

CADer

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2007
I was very hesitant to update my macbook pro- "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mine was perfect before the firmware update and and very glad to say that it is even better, I can see a much better picture now more evenly lit and colored! Excellent. I had no need for a Pram restart. Just thought I would let those of you know that are still deciding.
Now I will get better battery life also! Sweet!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.