Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

witalobenicio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2016
Hi guys.
I have a MacBook Pro mid 2012 and about 5 months ago i upgraded him with a 120Gb SSD Kingston.

Everything was normal, until last week when i put him in sleep mode and then when i open it was a total freeze.

I tried to put other SSD in my Macbook and it freezes too. But if i use my old SATA (which im using right now) there is no problem.

My SSD was almost full when the freezes begin.

Any ideas?

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
But its normal to works in some time and then stops to work?

I don't know what your question is. That is just a statement.

Sometimes the SATA cable will work with an HDD and not with an SSD it has been documented on here a fair few times that I have seen. The only way to know for sure is to replace the SATA cable, but no guarantees this is just a guess at an issue with a computer I have not even seen.

If you want a guaranteed diagnosis then pay a technician to do it for you or hope that someone on here can ratify my guess or provide you with some other options.

witalobenicio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2016
I don't know what your question is. That is just a statement.

Sometimes the SATA cable will work with an HDD and not with an SSD it has been documented on here a fair few times that I have seen. The only way to know for sure is to replace the SATA cable, but no guarantees this is just a guess at an issue with a computer I have not even seen.

If you want a guaranteed diagnosis then pay a technician to do it for you or hope that someone on here can ratify my guess or provide you with some other options.

What im saying is that for about 5 months it works perfectly and then (from nothing) stop working.
But will try to replace that cable.
Do you know if there is a specific cable to handle SSD?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
You can get the part number at ifixit.com.

They may not have the actual cable in stock.
In that case, use the part number to search on ebay.

witalobenicio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2016
OS X requires some free space to work efficiently, I suggest that you keep 20%-30% free space to allow the OS to work, without this buffer the OS can grind to a halt or freeze. A restart or booting into Safe Mode will also help to clear disk space.

Q-6

I tested my SSD in other MacBook Pro, and it worked smoothly. So i think it may not be something with free space.
Safe mode with same problems of freezing. I even was unable to delete files because i was getting an error message.

Last edited:

KimUsername

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Hi guys.
I have a MacBook Pro mid 2012 and about 5 months ago i upgraded him with a 120Gb SSD Kingston.

Everything was normal, until last week when i put him in sleep mode and then when i open it was a total freeze.

I tried to put other SSD in my Macbook and it freezes too. But if i use my old SATA (which im using right now) there is no problem.

My SSD was almost full when the freezes begin.

Any ideas?

I have been reading a lot about SSD's and the TRIM function.
If you are running El Capitan, it supports TRIM but it must be enabled.
The problems with TRIM is most noticeable when the SSD is almost full.
Here is the link to a thread which is describing something similar. https://discussions.apple.com/message/29593625#29593625

Trim:

To enable TRIM, first save all your open documents as this will reboot your Mac.
1) launch Terminal.
2) Type "sudo trimforce enable".
3) Confirm that you want to enable trim.
4) Reboot your Mac.

To verify that TRIM is enabled, click the Apple icon in the top left of your screen. Choose "About this Mac" -> "System Report" -> "SATA/SATA Express" and look for the entry "Trim Support". It should say "yes" if trim has been enabled.

I am not suggesting that enabling trim will fix your problem, but it is worth considering.

Kim

witalobenicio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2016
I have been reading a lot about SSD's and the TRIM function.
If you are running El Capitan, it supports TRIM but it must be enabled.
The problems with TRIM is most noticeable when the SSD is almost full.
Here is the link to a thread which is describing something similar. https://discussions.apple.com/message/29593625#29593625

Trim:

To enable TRIM, first save all your open documents as this will reboot your Mac.
1) launch Terminal.
2) Type "sudo trimforce enable".
3) Confirm that you want to enable trim.
4) Reboot your Mac.

To verify that TRIM is enabled, click the Apple icon in the top left of your screen. Choose "About this Mac" -> "System Report" -> "SATA/SATA Express" and look for the entry "Trim Support". It should say "yes" if trim has been enabled.

I am not suggesting that enabling trim will fix your problem, but it is worth considering.

Kim

I will try that.
[doublepost=1452871216][/doublepost]
What was the message? Yes it does sound like the SATA cable issue, I had it, new cable was instant fix.

It didn't said too much. Only said that was not possible to delete because error -50

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2015
europe
It is nearly shure that your SATA-cable is defective. Or you have a major pHardware-problem.

Since your SSD is nearly full and SSD prices have fallen a lot in the past, I would replace the 120 GB SSD soon by at least a 250, better 500 GB SSD.

and enable TRIM.

Reactions: Weaselboy

witalobenicio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2016
It is nearly shure that your SATA-cable is defective. Or you have a major pHardware-problem.

Since your SSD is nearly full and SSD prices have fallen a lot in the past, I would replace the 120 GB SSD soon by at least a 250, better 500 GB SSD.

and enable TRIM.
Please don't say that a major pHardware problem is a MotherBoard problem. Hahaha
The problem is that my SSD has a plenty of things that i need.
But today or tomorrow i will try to erase some things from SSD and enable trim as Kim suggested.

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2015
europe
Please don't say that a major pHardware problem is a MotherBoard problem. Hahaha
The problem is that my SSD has a plenty of things that i need.
But today or tomorrow i will try to erase some things from SSD and enable trim as Kim suggested.

You misunderstood me…

I meant not a Hardware problem of the SSD, but a HW Problem with your MBP.
Hopefully, it is only the SATA-cable.

witalobenicio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2016
You misunderstood me…

I meant not a Hardware problem of the SSD, but a HW Problem with your MBP.
Hopefully, it is only the SATA-cable.

Hi MrAverigeUser, my SATA-cable works very well with normal SATA HD. Do you think it still may be the cable?

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2015
europe
Hi MrAverigeUser, my SATA-cable works very well with normal SATA HD. Do you think it still may be the cable?

I don´t know. I am not a service-PRO at all.
But why should your MBP work with a SATA-HDD and not with two SATA-SSDs (the which worked well in the same MBP before)?

Might be a not-always-reproducible Problem (works sometimes, sometimes works not) or you have more than just one problem occurring just at nearly the same time.

You could try to put your old SSD and the second SSD in an other MBP to test if they still work or not. If they work, the problem is not primarily the SSDs.
Best way to come out of the problem would be to go to a apple-certified Enterprise and let them do some tests.

---> I saw once a problem with an old battery in an MBP 2011 15" :
From one day to another it started sometimes and most of the times it started NOT at all - which could (!) but must not definitely correspond with your problem.
After some tests by qualified people it came out that it was a problem with the battery. Since installing a new battery the MBP runs smoothly without any problem like before. To confirm/Exclude this problem you might just exchange the battery with a still-working battery of another MBP of same type (!) for testing.

A new SATA-cable does not cost so much either.

By The Way: Some years ago I learned the hard way to backup regularly the SSD. Lost lots of data with one of the infamous OCZ. What people do not know: You cannot read simply out a SSD like a HDD! Even not high professionals of Recovery-enterprises are able to do this with every type of SSD! Backup is still (and more than before) the best investment you can do.

Just my 2 cents...

Reactions: Weaselboy

witalobenicio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2016
I don´t know. I am not a service-PRO at all.
But why should your MBP work with a SATA-HDD and not with two SATA-SSDs (the which worked well in the same MBP before)?

You could try to put your old SSD and the second SSD in an other MBP to test if they still work or not. If they work, the problem is not primarily the SSDs.
Best way to come out of the problem would be to go to a apple-certified Enterprise and let them do some tests.

Just my 2 cents...

I already tried to put my SSD in other MBP and works very well, and i tried to put other SSD in my MBP and it did not work.

I will try to exchange the HD cable and Batterie tomorrow at work. Thanks

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I already tried to put my SSD in other MBP and works very well, and i tried to put other SSD in my MBP and it did not work.

It really does sound like the cable to me also. I have seen this several times where the sable works okay with a had drive, but not with an SSD. I suspect it is because the SSD is transferring much more data, so a borderline cable will not work, where with the much lower data rates of a hard drive it works okay.

Reactions: MrAverigeUser

witalobenicio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2016
It really does sound like the cable to me also. I have seen this several times where the sable works okay with a had drive, but not with an SSD. I suspect it is because the SSD is transferring much more data, so a borderline cable will not work, where with the much lower data rates of a hard drive it works okay.

So i need to buy other kind of hd cable?
Or just another sata cable?

MrAverigeUser

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2015
europe
STOP!
Found two interesting videos about the problem.

before spending money tomorrow, just try the same method shown in this EXCELLENT video
(at least to be shure):

here you can see the symptoms of Disk cable failure and how to exchange the cable if the upper method does not work:

Good Luck

witalobenicio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2016
STOP!

before spending money tomorrow, just try the same method shown in this EXCELLENT video
(at least to be shure):

here you can see the symptoms of Disk cable failure and how to exchange the cable if the upper method does not work:

Good Luck
I will try that RIGHT NOW!!
[doublepost=1453058042][/doublepost]I
STOP!

(at least to be shure):

Good Luck
I tried that and i notice that it power up right normal and in the beginning the freezes are less but still remains and with time it get worse. Maybe i have to put more tape. But at least it appears to be a cable problem

witalobenicio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2016
STOP!

(at least to be shure):

Good Luck

Yeah...no luck. Still with the ****ing freezes
[doublepost=1453059473][/doublepost]Every time I
STOP!

(at least to be shure):

Good Luck
Every time I power off and power on it gets slower to open and freezes grow up

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.