MacBook Pro Model A1502 (13in, '16) vs Pro Retina early '13

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JustAMacGuy, May 1, 2017.

?

Keep New MacBook, take used one, or buy desktop

Poll closed May 5, 2017.
  1. Keep new MacBook

    66.7%
  2. Take friends deal

    33.3%
  3. Buy new desktop now and a MacBook later o

    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. JustAMacGuy macrumors newbie

    JustAMacGuy

    Joined:
    May 1, 2017
    #1
    Hi! Ive been a member for a few minutes so this is my first post. (I apologize if im posting in the wrong place. If so, please lmk so I may move it.).

    Ten days ago I purchased the MacBook Retina Pro Model A1502. 2016. 13 inch. 8gb & 128gb. I paid $1357, but after a job discount paid $1279

    A friends suggested I return it (I have to decide within 4 days return policy) and purchase his MacBook Pro Retina 15 Early 2013 ME66LL/A 2.7 GHz i7 16gb 512 GB. This is the tec sheet he provided
    https://support.apple.com/kb/SP669?locale=en_US.

    He says with upgrades he originall paid $2999. He says upgraded to 1TB internal hard drive internally by Apple (for $600) and that he upgraded and tuned it to 2017 speeds


    Apple care runs out June 2018

    He does not have any original paperwork, but says he purchased "early 2013, in August" (So, I presume only owner but am not sure)

    He says his goes for $1200 without the upgrades. He is offering it for $800 as he bought a new MacBook and rarely uses this one.

    Though i travel ofte for work I am aperson of simple means. I hope to use it to learn video editing for travel videos usually up to 15 minutes and productivity and organization.

    (Now I only have an iPhone and old ipad)

    I ask your advice: should I return (unopened) MacBook in exchange for my friends deal? (I think he might let me make payments on it) Or keep my new MacBook? OR buy an Apple desktop now? and maybe buy my friends MacBook later? (If I buy a desktop Ill want a MacBook in the near future as I travel often)

    I sincerely thank you in advance for all your advice
     

    Attached Files:

  2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

    Tomorrow

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2008
    Location:
    Always a day away
    #2
    I guess if you feel like a 4-year-old used computer will meet your needs now, and for the foreseeable future, as well as the new '16 model, go ahead. In my mind, a 4-year-old computer is well past middle-aged and nearing the end of its useful life, but that's just one guy's opinion.
     
  3. kohlson macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2010
    #3
    I agree with Tomorrow. But would like to add that the biggest issue with the laptop you bought is storage capacity. 128GB is really small for video editing. The thing to keep in mind is that the newest MBP's are not internally upgradeable at all. I have a 2013 15-in MBP that I configured with 1TB SSD, similar to your friend's. 3+ years later I am still happy with how it works with FCP, Compressor, and Camtasia. That said, I purchased a 13-in MBP for my daughter in December. The new ones are really nice - lighter, better screen, and touchpad. Something to consider.
    Other differences are 4-core vs. 2-core, which for video editing will make a difference depending on what you're working on.

    Still, I think the offer from your friend is a good deal for you. It's a bigger, heavier, older machine. But it has Apple Care, and more computing resources.
     
  4. JustAMacGuy thread starter macrumors newbie

    JustAMacGuy

    Joined:
    May 1, 2017
    #4
    Thank you Tomorrow and kohson! You comments are just the insight I seek.

    So, the older MBP has enough memory and quad core, but the new one will last longer but maybe not enough memory. Maybe I need to exchange for more memory- but it will hit my wallet. Perhaps better to get the older one and put savings toward more external memory? Or towards mac desktop? Or, maybe get a desktop And his older computer? (I think he will let me pay like $150 a month)

    I have never created videos other than simplying taking them with my phone. however I do plan to begin learning to make mainly travel or discussion topic videos probably averaging between 3-12 minutes in length.

    I apologize for my naivety in all this and do appreciate anyones opinions.
     
  5. JamesPDX Suspended

    JamesPDX

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2014
    Location:
    USA
    #5
    Get a new battery for it and upgrade the flash, if possible. Do it before Apple Care runs out. The Thunderbolt ports will allow you to connect a SSD-based Thunderbolt media drive so you can keep your raw media off of your internal machine.

    Pop this open: http://www.g-technology.com/products/g-drive-mobile-thunderbolt-1-tb-portable-hard-drive

    and slap-in on of these: https://www.angelbird.com/prod/ssd-wrk-1506/?category=1

    If you're not much of a DIY-er, Try this https://www.angelbird.com/prod/ssd2go-pocket-662/?category=2#specification

    Let us know how it goes.
     
  6. JustAMacGuy thread starter macrumors newbie

    JustAMacGuy

    Joined:
    May 1, 2017
    #6

    Thank you james-to be precise you do mean to get the older one and make these upgrades? (I did not open the box on the new MBP yet nor get apple care for it (yet)

    Im not much of a DIY but my friend who I may buy his laptop is.
     
  7. JamesPDX Suspended

    JamesPDX

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2014
    Location:
    USA
    #7
    Oh, I thought you've been trying it out a bit. How much external stuff will you want to connect? That's really an issue. 2016? 4 ports. If 4 USB-C/TB3 ports are all you need, I'd get the 2016 one with the maxed-out BTO and one of these: https://www.angelbird.com/prod/ssd2go-pkt-1031/?category=2#specification
     
  8. JustAMacGuy thread starter macrumors newbie

    JustAMacGuy

    Joined:
    May 1, 2017
    #8
    Hey James! You are right. My friend is in another state and if i get the computer it iwll be when i make a visit anyways. I have the new MBP but have not even opened it yet in order ot consider my friends offer. Today I have to decide to keep or return the new one. I suppose I can return it to give more time to decide, and if i want to keep it just buy it again. Thats probably best anyways because its been in the box 14 days and its using up my i think 90 days warranty.
     

Share This Page