MacBook Pro Only Displays Thousands of Colors

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Eminemdrdre00, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Eminemdrdre00 macrumors 6502a

Eminemdrdre00

This is a good read, I hope it gets some attention. Apple should be ashamed of themselves. Again, it's not the crime -- it's the cover-up.

http://mantia.me/blog/macbook-pro-thousands-of-colors/

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Funny how the server has stopped responding.

3. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

The article basically says that the 13" MacBook Pro is only capable of displaying thousands of colours as its display only supports 6-bit colour. Apple advertises on the website that it supports "Millions of colours" and achieves this through a shady technique known as dithering.

4. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

Who cares?

Don't use a laptop screen if colour accuracy is that important to you.

5. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

I don't think anyone is bringing this up because they need the extra accuracy, it is because Apple is making fraudulent claims of support for "Millions of colours" on its website.

6. Eminemdrdre00 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eminemdrdre00

Exactly! And they wont even tell him if the 15" or 17" Macbook Pros have an 8bit display (he is willing to upgrade if they do).

He got dugg, so the server is down, I'll quote his blog post in my original post.

7. mike1123 macrumors 6502

That is pretty absurd of Apple. The fact that they can't provide an answer to his question tells you all you need to know. While I don't mind as long as the screen looks good, I know some people care a lot more than me, and Apple shouldn't post false information.

8. goMac macrumors 603

Wasn't this already known information?

Almost all laptop displays are 6 bit...

9. MacduJour macrumors newbie

I care...

I care!

If Apple advertised to me that their product can display millions of colors, then I expect that the product will display millions of colors, and not just 200,000+ colors. Is that too much to ask? Dithering IS NOT ACCEPTABLE. That's just as bad as telling me that an upscaled DVD resolution is the same as HD.

Finally, why shouldn't I expect color accuracy on my laptop if Apple says I can expect it?

10. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

so it uses dithering to display millions of colors...so it still displays millions of colors.

the information is accurate. stop whining.

11. zw-gator macrumors 6502a

zw-gator

On the 2009 WWDC banner Apple said they were also "light-years ahead" of the competition....

If that were the case, where's my 128 core, 40000000 ghz 13" MBP?

After all, they said they were light years ahead right?

12. Smoothie macrumors 6502

13. beg_ne macrumors 6502

Old News.

Save your fake outrage for next time.

Please don't whine about dithering when you couldn't even tell the difference in the first place.

14. MacduJour macrumors newbie

"Light-years ahead" of the competition is a figure of speech. A commonly accepted figure of speech. A reasonable person would not take that literally.

However, stating that a product can display millions of colors, is a specific claim which a consumer should be able to take literally. 6bit products can only display 200K+ colors. Which is what is on the MBP 13. So when Apple states that its MBP can display millions of colors, and its hardware is only capable of putting out 200K+ discrete colors, they are not being truthful. That is the crux of the argument.

When a manufacturer advertises a specific feature (i.e. millions of colors), then it is bound to deliver on that. Commerce Laws in the United States mandates that. Which is why when this goes to class action, Apple will silently settle. Perhaps in other parts of the world, manufacturers are free to make grandiose specific claims, and don't expect to be challenged when they misrepresent.

15. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

The apple apologists are in full force today... :rolleyes:

The fact is that Apple published a deceptive spec list and refuses to tell the customer if he can get an 8bit display on one of the other "pro" models. Technically apple didnt do anything wrong, but they are still being an ass about it.

16. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

I've read this before, doesn't the screen like mix colors or something like that to produce colors it really doesn't?

17. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

Not trying to defend Apple but technically it their website says "supports" millions of colors. Still pretty lame though since they seem to be trying to trick their customers.

18. MacduJour macrumors newbie

Agreed. Their use of the word "supports" might be an argument to get them off the hook. Either way, I hope they handle this better in the future. When I was in middle school, a long long time ago, the Apple ][GS came out with an analog display, rather than a digital display, which was cutting edge at the time. Apple was positioning itself as cutting edge, and when questioned about the analog display, they didn't run around like they're doing with the MBP 13; they explained why they implemented analog. If I recall correctly it had to do with pixel manipulation so the display would exhibit more colors (funny, given today's topic). They were honest then, and the controversy ended. That's all they need to do -- be honest and let the product speak for itself. The hard-nosed tactics it uses on its customers aren't necessary.

19. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Scientific question: Can our eyes even see millions of colors?

20. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

Ethical question: Apple is deceiving it's customers, so does it matter?

Thats like advertising a car and syaing it can go "over 800mph!!!" Theres no place to test this car at 800mph, but that doesnt mean they can get away with selling a car that only goes 600.

21. MacduJour macrumors newbie

+1

This is an ethical and potentially a legal matter.

22. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Yes. You can easily see the difference between a 6bit panel and an 8bit one.

23. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

OP: I think out of all this useless junk you typed up, the real point you wanted to get across is that you expected an 8-bit display, but when you bought it, you didn't bother to find out (answer was on google, first page) and now you are pissed. You do know you can return it? Instead of fussing over something that is common knowledge, you have to fuss like a baby over his food.

Read this article, which specifically tests the new MBPs displays for color accuracy. The 13" MBP seems to hold up pretty well.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=7-10041-10146&sr=hotnews

24. goMac macrumors 603

The display can display millions of colors, it just does it by dithering.

It's like how TV's have 1,000,000:1 contrast ratios when they really don't (you can't get that contrast ratio out of a tv all in one frame.)

It's a laptop LCD people... It's not a professional display, but it's still pretty damn good for being a laptop display.

25. Johnny Apple macrumors newbie

Johnny Apple

13" & 15" MacBook Super Pro?

If Apple offered matte 8-bit IPS displays on their 13" and 15" laptops, would you buy one?

I would.