Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gleadr

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
Arizona
I am going to be purchasing a mac very soon (been saving up for 2 years) and I am torn on whether or not to get a MacBook Pro with a 2.4 GHz processor or a MacBook with a 2.4 GHz processor. I do a lot of web design in my spare time, and I also have to do a lot of typing because of my accelerated english class. One of the main problems is the price of the MacBook Pro, and MacBook is the price. I would really like the 15.4" display over the 13.3" but i do not see the major differences other than the better screen and speakers. Quite honeslty the second graphics chip does not really matter to me, i rarely play video games (i usually play sims 2). What do you think i should get? If i got the macbook pro i would only have enough money left to buy the hurley backpack and Office 2008, but if i got the 13" MacBook i can get BOSE speakers, a griffin elevator stand, a 500 GB external hard drive, a 20" monitor, and a wireless mighty mouse and keyboard. Although i really like the MacBook Pro... Tell me what you think

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I am going to be purchasing a mac very soon (been saving up for 2 years) and I am torn on whether or not to get a MacBook Pro with a 2.4 GHz processor or a MacBook with a 2.4 GHz processor. I do a lot of web design in my spare time, and I also have to do a lot of typing because of my accelerated english class. One of the main problems is the price of the MacBook Pro, and MacBook is the price. I would really like the 15.4" display over the 13.3" but i do not see the major differences other than the better screen and speakers. Quite honeslty the second graphics chip does not really matter to me, i rarely play video games (i usually play sims 2). What do you think i should get? If i got the macbook pro i would only have enough money left to buy the hurley backpack and Office 2008, but if i got the 13" MacBook i can get BOSE speakers, a griffin elevator stand, a 500 GB external hard drive, a 20" monitor, and a wireless mighty mouse and keyboard. Although i really like the MacBook Pro... Tell me what you think

Tough choice as I see things. First let me ask you 3 more questions and after that I will be able to truly advice you (right now, as I perceive things a MacBook is fine)...

I. Do you need or simply want 15"?

II. Are you a sound enthusiast?

III. Would you want a feature rich laptop or a basic with few things here and there?

hexagon

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2007
I say go with the Macbook. For web/text related stuff, I find the 13-inch screen works fine in my situation. Since you can also afford an extra monitor, it doesn't look like this will be much of an issue.

Gleadr

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
Arizona
Tough choice as I see things. First let me ask you 3 more questions and after that I will be able to truly advice you (right now, as I perceive things a MacBook is fine)...

I. Do you need or simply want 15"?

II. Are you a sound enthusiast?

III. Would you want a feature rich laptop or a basic with few things here and there?

I. I kinda wat the 15" macbook pro it looks a lot nicer to me.

II. Umm no not really, but I do a lot of web design.

III. I would rather have the higher wuality display i do a lot of things with photoshop (love glossy) i don't care about firewire. I like the macbook pro speakers. The only thing that really gets to me is the price?

Would getting the computer really be worth it i dont want it to have like a bazillion problems out of the box

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007

III. I would rather have the higher wuality display i do a lot of things with photoshop (love glossy) i don't care about firewire. I like the macbook pro speakers. The only thing that really gets to me is the price?

Would getting the computer really be worth it i dont want it to have like a bazillion problems out of the box

Get the MacBook.

As you said, if you buy a MacBook you will have money ($$) left for a 20" panel and Bose speakers.

Now, graphics wise, you never minded and the 9400M is enough for you. Screen quality is addressed with that extra 20" screen panel as well as the 15" factor you want.

The speakers you love in the MBP are inferior to the Bose speakers you culd afford now.

So there you have it....

MacBook.

Take into consideration this a endorsement based on what you described and best deal for your $$$.

Gleadr

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
Arizona
Ok here is the thing I only have to pay half for the macbook. My parents told me that if i save half they will pay for the rest of the computer. Currently i have $1,734.27 i am aiming for $1,900 (i am buying everything else) I also have to get a desk and chair and im looking at iKea. I just dont know. I still have a couple months to go before i purchase the macbook whichever it may be. Oh and the 20" monitor am looking at is an Acer not the best resolution or contrast ratio

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
Ok here is the thing I only have to pay half for the macbook. My parents told me that if i save half they will pay for the rest of the computer. Currently i have $1,734.27 i am aiming for $1,900 (i am buying everything else) I also have to get a desk and chair and im looking at iKea. I just dont know. I still have a couple months to go before i purchase the macbook whichever it may be. Oh and the 20" monitor am looking at is an Acer not the best resolution or contrast ratio

Then it's up to you. If I were you, I'd save up a bit more and get me that 24" inch LCD from Apple. But that's me....

shigzeo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2005
Japan
my next macbook

will be a macbook not pro. i have the 2007 mbp and it is lovely except the silly latch system which has given up the ghost.

but i don't game, don't do video anything so the extra dosh on the gpu is wasted.

what i will miss is the firewire. i use it all the time and have for years for sound stuff and hard disk interfaces as well as camera card captures.

but, the price and the size and weight is so much better. i don't drive, don't have a car and likely will never. i ride a marinoni cyclocross and tour around taking photos and editing them later for small published articles for my work. the mbp is just not worthwhile at all: cannot fit anywhere except a desk and if only for firewire, it is too much to ask.

the macbook screen however is... underwhelming. i don't want to dish out thousands to get a 24 one but... i may have to. frustrated frustrated that there are not more bto options in either laptop.

Gleadr

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
Arizona
Yeah but the thing is i think its wrong that a display should cost $899 dollars even if it is beautiful. Then again that was the next thing i would be saving up for after i got the macbook pro if i get it

mikes70mustang

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2008
US
get a prev gen. MBP, sounds like its exactly what you would need. Its still better than a uni-MB its cheaper than a new mbp so youll have much more money left to get other stuff. Oh, and the keyboard is much better on the previous gen MBP. Ive done a lot of typing on mine since i got it due to an analytical writing class and its very nice.

Gleadr

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
Arizona
get a prev gen. MBP, sounds like its exactly what you would need. Its still better than a uni-MB its cheaper than a new mbp so youll have much more money left to get other stuff. Oh, and the keyboard is much better on the previous gen MBP. Ive done a lot of typing on mine since i got it due to an analytical writing class and its very nice.

I actually think the unibod amcbook pro looks nicer it is thinner, and the keyboard is easier to type on for me, I hate when keys are jammed so close together i usually press 2 at a time like right now i am using a mac pro and it has an older apple keyboard hooked up to it! and i keep having to go back and fix things...

hessdesigns

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2006
How about this Macbook Pro? It's NOT the unibody, but still a great computer, and a great price. Also, as far as office furniture, Ikea has some good prices, but you can't beat Craigslist for a great deal! Don't know how much is on there for your area, but I have found incredible deals on great stuff. You may just have to spend some extra time to find that "perfect" deal.

Good luck in your search!

Gleadr

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
Arizona
Wow i was just on macmall and i found a new unibody macbook pro 15" for $1799!!! what i might do though is get a refurb one...

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
Getting a refurbish unit is also a good idea. You can either get last gen MBP or a refurb unibody MBP.

You have more $$ left to buy more things. Lol, I see you also thought about the Apple 24" LCD. However, seeing as you need portabilty and lightness, I can't stress enough how much better a MB would really be in the end.

clyde2801

macrumors 601
I fully expect to get flamed for this, but I spent this last weekend turning a little lenovo s10 netbook into a hackintosh, and it is AWESOME, especially for the price.

I call it my $400 macbook air....:D

But to answer the question, the macbook air would be sufficient, especially if tethered to a nice monitor while at the desk.

Accelerated English? Are they teaching you to talk really fast?

Gleadr

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2009
Arizona
I fully expect to get flamed for this, but I spent this last weekend turning a little lenovo s10 netbook into a hackintosh, and it is AWESOME, especially for the price.

I call it my $400 macbook air....:D

But to answer the question, the macbook air would be sufficient, especially if tethered to a nice monitor while at the desk.

Accelerated English? Are they teaching you to talk really fast?

Accelerated English is higher than honors English, I did look at MacBook air and it doesn't do my needs to slow to small amount of ram and no optical drive

amitdoc2b

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2008
Obviously u are torn becuz u do want the Pro and are finding reasons not to purchase it. I say get the MBP.

l84toff

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2009
Maybe its accelerated ESL;), just kidding.:D

I say go with the refurbished version of whatever you decide on. It'll save you a lot of money and you get the same 1yr of Applecare. What more could you ask for.

I just got my refurbished Unibody Macbook 13". It's quite nice. Love everything except the wireless issues it seems to be having:mad:. Oh and the wireless range really sucks in the new Unibody MB's. AEBS in the basement doesn't even register on the 2nd floor on the Unibody. My white Macbook gets full signal.

The Unibody MBP was only $350 CDN more that the top end 13" in the refurbished section, that's pretty close if you really want the extras in the Pro version.

Happy shopping!

brendanm14

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2007
Apple.com/store has REFURB unibody Macbook for 1,099 and 1,399 for the 2.0 and 2.4ghz models and a REFURB Macbook Pro 2.4 for 1,699. I am in the same boat as you....I like the MBP for the screen size but I like the price of the 1,399 MB. This will be replacing my family Dell desktop. I saw a prev. gen MBP 2.4ghz on the site this morning but it was quickly snapped up at 1,349....I think I might do that one if it ever pops up again because I am afraid the 13.3" screen will be too small.

l84toff

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2009
@brendan

Keep checking back at the refurbished site, even throughout the day. They add and take stuff off the site a couple of times a day sometimes, from what I have noticed. But the Unibody Macbook Pro is $1699 there right now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.