MacBook Pro overheating and turning itself off

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Glumpfner, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Glumpfner macrumors regular

Hi there,

I opened up a thread a while back, saying my MacBook Pro get's really hot when using Photoshop, watching YouTube or watching HD videos. And by hot I mean, if I miss the keys on the keyboard at around the ESC keys and touch the aluminium, my fingers would get burnt, and if I have it on my lap, I would get skin burnt through my jeans.

All I was told is that this is pretty common with MacBooks.

Well now I installed Steam and played Portal and Half Life 2 and after about 10 mins my MacBook Pro just turns it self off!

I'm guessing it's over heating.

Please don't tell me again that this is normal :(

Anything I can do about it myself? OPen it up and get the dust out?

Or should I sent it to Apple support? If so how would I do that?

Thanks

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Can you hear the fans kick in? If not, there is your problem. Download iStat Pro to make sure your fans are spinning faster when your computer gets worked harder, as that is not at all normal. If they are working fine (2000 RPM at idle, 5000-6000 under load), then you likely need to reapply thermal paste. Another way to verify this is if there is a very large difference in temperature between the CPU or GPU and its respective heatsink. iStat pro will also tell you temperatures.

3. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

It is also possible one of the fans isn't working, or one or both have been clogged up with dust or other things.

4. Glumpfner thread starter macrumors regular

Well my MacBook Pro gets very loud very fast.
    I will download iStat.

But wouldn't something like that be covered by the Apple Care extended warranty? I still have 1 year left.

5. Glumpfner thread starter macrumors regular

Update:
    So I restarted my laptop and only opened up safari with google main page. After about 3 minutes the fans kick in:

Left Fan: 5900rpm
    Right Fan: 5900rpm
    CPU: 83*
    GPU: 64*

If i play a YouTube video
    Left Fan: 6200rpm
    Right Fan: 6200rpm
    CPU: 109*
    GPU: 79*

* = degree celsius

So what should I do? Clean it my self? Will that void my warranty?
    Or should I call Apple and send it in?

6. arcite macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
    Those temps are about double than normal.
    If you're covered by warranty, take it in to Apple or other authorized repair shop, you obviously have a problem! :cool:

7. vipergts2207 macrumors 65816

vipergts2207

Since it's still under warranty I would take it to Apple. If you trust yourself though you can take it apart and reapply the thermal paste yourself. I had the same exact problem with my santa rosa MBP. I would play WoW or watch videos and the computer would inevitably overheat and shut off. Reapplying the thermal paste fixed the problem. I also have smcfancontrol installed.

8. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Wow, 109C?! :eek:
    You really want to get that checked out, and since you have warranty, you should have no issues.

9. Wattser93 macrumors regular

That's severely hot, 109* is above boiling.
    Definitely take it in, my 13" hardly hits 175* F (79* C) under full load and that's pretty warm on my lap, I can only imagine how hot yours feels.

10. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Yes. A MacBook Pro in a reasonable environment (not on a long haired carpet, wrapped into your favourite jumper, or the air vents at the back covered up etc. ) should run just fine, no matter what you throw at it - the fan will obviously run at full speed at some point, but the MBP should never get so hot that it stops working. If it does, then something is wrong and needs to be fixed under warranty or Apple Care. (Most likely a problem with the fan, or something blocking the air flow).

And don't try something like applying thermal paste yourself, not when you want a warranty repair. Imagine you were the person working for Apple who decides whether this is warranty or not. And you notice two things: 1. Computer much too hot. 2. User played around with thermal paste. That will have a good chance of voiding your warranty.