MAcbook Pro overheating

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Madrid, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Madrid macrumors member

So I just got my new Macbook pro 13' i5 yesterday morning so it is very new. Today I decided to play world of warcraft on it and the temp of the computer went up to 87 Celcius which to me seems like allot what do you guys think I should do? The fans are running at about 6200rpm.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

That's normal, as the umpteen other threads about this same tired issue will attest.

3. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

+1 if its not shutting itself off its not overheating. Sorry to sound harsh OP but there are at least 5 of these threads created per day and I have yet to see one that is genuine overheating.

If a machine truly overheats, you will start to see graphical glitches (sometimes) and then it will actually shut itself off. Its a built in failsafe so the machine doesn't overheat.

4. Madrid thread starter macrumors member

So should I not be worried about it sorry its my first time owning a Macbook Pro lol call me a noob

5. Madrid thread starter macrumors member

What is considered overheating? Temperature wise

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

That is quite normal. If you wanted a quiet notebook to play games on, the ASUS G73/74 series would have been a much better choice.

7. Madrid thread starter macrumors member

I had the money but I am really not a windows guy I just hate how they get slow and get viruses and things like that. For me a macbook pro just works

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Works on my computers.

9. Madrid thread starter macrumors member

I guess I have just had bad experiences with windows computers

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

My only bad experiences stem from my screwing around with the BIOS. Maybe if I did not screw around with voltages or timings in the first place, I would not have any problems at all.

Oh and Civilization V is a crash prone disaster but I do not blame Microsoft for that one. How could I? It is either nVidia in its post-266 drivers or Firaxis. The feature set in 273 is too rich for me to revert back to an older driver version. Maybe 280 will come out this month and resolve it. That still has not prevented me from spending over 600 hours on that game.

What about my web browsing behaviors? Sandbox and restrict plug-ins. Javascript is nasty but if it is not running what happens?

I will continue to spend ungodly amounts of time in Windows 7 while my Mac gathers dust.

Maybe I have said too much.

11. Madrid thread starter macrumors member

I see your point Im not a huge computer guy but I have been using Macs for a long time so that is why I really do not like windows that and the virus is the BIG thing that stops me from getting a pc

12. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

To be honest I have suffered more serious malware ills on my Mac than on my Windows machines.

13. Madrid thread starter macrumors member

Really?? Can I ask like what? Because I was noticing for the amount of money i spent on this macbook pro I could have gotten a really nice pc for the same price but the virus thing is basically the only thing that stopped me from getting it

14. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Many moons ago before the old fake preview image UNIX script trojan was patched in 10.4 days. It was a link in a MacRumors post before the mods axed it. I was hit trying to help another user.

Otherwise I found virus from a 80 GB hard drive I found on the street back in 2003. (80 GB was a lot back then.) The hard drive served me quite well after nuking it. That is really the extent of my terrors on Windows.

15. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

There's an easy fix for the Windows-virus problem. Don't download stupid $#*@ :cool:

16. Madrid thread starter macrumors member

lol its harder then it seems lol

17. Madrid thread starter macrumors member

MMM i think i might want to get a nice pc instead then

18. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

It shouldn't be. I've run a Windows partition on my Macs for 5 years without a single virus or malware problem.

19. Madrid thread starter macrumors member

Do you have anti virus software on it?

20. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat (around 100C/212F - 105C/221F, depending on your processor). iStat Pro will give you accurate readings of your temps, among other things.

Unless there is a rare defect in your Mac, your temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload you're putting on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.

Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs and MBs). They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. If they're spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC. Also, make sure you don't block the vents, which are located at the rear, near the hinge.

21. philipma1957, Jul 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2011

philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

Buy a laptop cooler. You paid more then 1k for the gear a laptop cooler for 35 bucks or so will fix the problem.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834999414

this is a lite duty one. Also try posting in Macbook pro not mac pro. there may be a better answer then my idea of a laptop cooler.

22. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

No, I don't need it. I don't download stupid $%& that I don't know where it came from.

23. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Those temps are fine for a laptop when playing games. Now please post in the Macbook Pro forum. Our Mac Pro's rarely overheat:)

24. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I'm sorry I find that 100% impossible to believe. Seeing how is there is literally almost no malware for Mac OS (and the stuff that does exist is either A. Patched or B. Only downloadable by installing a hacked version of iWorks.

Windows has over 1 million known pieces of malware including variants and roughly 180,000 viruses that do not include variants.

25. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I do not believe you that you read my follow up post. Better luck next time.