Macbook pro purchase in the USA

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ddany, Oct 16, 2010.

1. ddany macrumors member

Hey guys!
    For my question I will need some of you who live in the USA.Or Some of you who know a lot about taxes ;)

I live in Europe,but one of my relatives is now in Florida,and she offered me that she would buy me a macbook pro.And I've looked them up in "apple.com",but I was told that the price does not contain TAX.

I know that "sales tax" in Florida is 6%, but websites are talking about something more,which is called "surtax",but I do not kow what it is...
    So I would really like to know how much the full tax % is in Flordia for a Macbook Pro.

Because it is not the same if I have to multiply the amount by 6% or 9%.

Another quieston is the following:
    The Macbook pro 15' 2,4ghz i5 is 1799$
    The Macbook pro 15' 2,66ghz i7 (more hard drive,and 512mb video card ram) is 2199$

The difference is 400$. Is it worth it?

I need everyone who can help me :)

Thank you!

Thank you!

2. movieboy23 macrumors regular

ddany,

If you purchase a Mac from here in the states, taxes will absolutely apply. For Florida, the minimum state sales tax is 6%. However, counties have the discretion to add on a certain percentage to that sales tax in order to bring in additional revenue for the county. For example, while the state sales tax in FL is 6%, Miami county has an extra 1% sales tac, bringing the final amount to a 7% sales tax. You'll have to check on the county where your relative lives to figure out the exact sales tax. Here's a handy chart for looking up that info:
    http://miami.about.com/od/governmentcityservices/a/salestax.htm

As for your question about the two versions of the MBP, I personally went with the i7 and I couldn't be happier. The various upgrades were well worth the $400 upcharge, since the processor is significantly faster, the higher end graphics card is great for video production/photography/animation/gaming and the extra HD space doesn't hurt. Looking at benchmarks, the i7 is significantly faster (almost 13% faster) than the i5. If you were deciding between the two versions of the i5, I would actually go with the lower end i5 since the difference in processor speed is minimal (barely 4%) for that chipset and any independent reviewers have noticed that the increased processor speed 2.53 GHz i5 eats up more battery life than the 2.66 i7.

But if you plan on holding onto your MBP for some time and are involved in processor-heavy applications such as video work, high end audio, photography or intense gaming, I would say that the i7 is a no-brainer.

3. ddany thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for you fast reply. It was really helpful :)
    And what about the event on 20th? Will Apple intoduce new MBP?
    And if they do, when will they be available in the USA?
    (because my relative stays there until 30th November :) )

Thank you:cool:

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Apple might introduce an updated MBP. The rumours are not pointing towards it but you never know. Either way it's silly to buy before that date, just in case. Most likely if they do release new machines they'll be available in 2-3 weeks at most.

5. movieboy23 macrumors regular

I'm a little more pessimistic than robbieduncan. Apple introduced their new MBPs w/the i5 a& i7s in April and I don't think that they're going to do much to them since they already made a major upgrade in April in the chipset switch. If they make any changes at all to the machines, my best guess would be a bump in processor speed and not much more.

Judging from Apple's invitation and the media rumors surrounding the event on the 20th, I think Apple is basically gonna reveal the bells and whistles of OS X 10.7, a small yet noticeable revamp to the MacBook Air line and MAYBE the introduction of a 7" iPad. I wouldn't hold my breath for any major changes to the MBPs if I were you.

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Just to clarify I don't expect any MBP changes. I'd say there is less than a 5% chance of it. But for the sake of waiting a few days it makes no sense to purchase right now.

There is a real chance of an iLife upgrade: buy now and you might not get it for free, buy on the 21st and you almost certainly will...

7. ddany thread starter macrumors member

All right.

I am not waiting for any huge updates.. :) I just wanted to know what is predicted.

Btw, I will only buy the MBP in November(afther 20th.)

And what about Apple Care?
    It is not avilable in Hungary(I live in Hungary) but I can buy from e-bay,or from the USA with the MBP.

In Hungary stores told me that if I want to buy Apple Care, I have to do it in 90days after the purchase... Is that true? Previously I heard that I have 1year time to buy it:confused:

8. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

If AppleCare is not available in Hungary will you be able to use it there? Anyway you have one year to register with Apple for AppleCare that's for sure.

9. ddany thread starter macrumors member

Yes I can. Because it is world-wide warranty,and authorized services will repair my MBP. At least one of the authorized servies in Hungary said that :)

He said AP is not avilable in Hungary,but if I have a notebok which has AP warranty,they will repair it. So yes, I will be able to use it.
    It will seem as if I lived in the USA(with american MBP) and I moved here,but I have warranty.

I am just not sure about the registration.I checkhed how it works. It needs my location,so there i have to set USA(Hungary is not available). but then it asks for my address... So to the address gap , can i write my own address,or I should write my relative's american address?

And when I buy an MBP in the USA, they give me a bill,right? becuase in order to make my warranty availbe here, I need the original bill.

10. movieboy23 macrumors regular

If there's an authorized Apple Service Provider in Hungary that'll honor the AppleCare Protection Plan, then all the power to you.

As for the address, I would just make the address an U.S. address for simplicity's sake. That way if you ever run into problems in Hungary with the service provider, you can always send the machine state-side to a relative to have it repaired here.

And of course Apple will send you a receipt of your purchase. You should definitely receive one via e-mail and they will probably include one when they ship your computer as well.

Enjoy your new mac.

11. ddany thread starter macrumors member

It is not going to be an order. My relative will go to the Apple Store and buy a MBP there.
    But I guess it's almost the same :)

Thank you!

12. HotPopsicle macrumors newbie

You can save the sales tax and get a better price by having your relative buy from an online store (not apple). Your relative should know which online stores don't charge tax in his state. You could probably save $300+ buy doing a little research.

13. arcite macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
    I too have a relative in the states for a week who is going to pick a macbook pro 13 inch up for me.... the catch is, they are leaving on the 21st! So they will be able to make the purchase from an Apple Store sometime on the 20th, which is the day of the Media event.

So the question is, will there be price reductions on the 20th on the 13inchers, and will they kick in right away?

For example, it would be nice to pick up the 2.6 for the same price of the 2.4. :apple:

Also, do Apple stores give any discounts for purchases? Will they throw in a free ipod or anything like that?

14. old-wiz macrumors G3

Apple stores do not give discounts.

Don't forget that you may have to pay an import duty on the computer. This can run to quite a bit depending on your country's laws and could be enough to make the computer just as expensive as buying it in your country.

15. ddany thread starter macrumors member

That is why you need to buy a notebook case,and put your MBP into it. And your relative will say that it is his MBP :)

16. trabant macrumors newbie

avoid taxes and duty

There's an easy way to avoid all the taxes:

- order online from BH Photo or other store that's out of state (no stores in Florida)

- have your friend declare it as personal computer, no custom duties

Problem solved!

C.

PS: with the money saved, swap the useless optical drive with a small ssd and get 8GB of RAM (aftermarket, not the insanely priced Apple upgrade) and you will end up with a smoking fast machine!

17. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

heres how to save money: buy from apple but say your a college student there you saved 200$ then buy a printer with it and get 100$ rebate so technically printer was free, then sell it.

bam you saved 300$ (plus how much you sell the printer for; its proabbly worth 150$) so in total you save about 450...

18. ddany thread starter macrumors member

And how is it possible that from BH photo a macbook pro '15 i7 2044$ and Apple Care is 250$?
    Originally at Apple, they are 2199$ + 350 $
    ???
    Do I need to calculate with taxes here,too? But if I add taxes,then it is also cheaper :D

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/684524-REG/Apple_MC373LL_A_15_4_MacBook_Pro_Notebook.html

19. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Apple have a wholesale price to retailers. It is (obviously) less than what they retail for. Apple choose to sell via their own stores at full MSRP. Others can choose to make less money per sale and sell for a little less.

20. trabant macrumors newbie

BH Photo

Bought most of my photo gear from B&H, spent over $20,000 over the years. I don't see how paying more for the same product + taxes at the local Apple store could help...

21. ddany thread starter macrumors member

So I do not have to pay Taxes at BH photo?

22. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

If you buy from the store or mail order in-state (New York State) then yes. Otherwise, as they only have one store in New York State, no (unlike Apple who have a presence everywhere so have to charge taxes everywhere).

23. jlc1978 macrumors 68000

jlc1978

No. I've ordered from B&H before and they are very reputable. The only thing to be aware of is they are closed for orders on Saturday and you might want to call if you are using a non-US credit card for payment.

24. kingsal macrumors member

Is she visiting the USA or does she live in Florida? If you can have her buy it for you from Amazon.com or another online retailer that doesn't charge sales tax, you can save that 6% or 9%.

25. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

They're closed for Sabbath every week. ;)